Anybody Else Thinking Of Or Ever Taken A Year Off?

As I wrote in another post, last year was tough.  Now it's March and I just got the last of my lights down and put away.  Lots of things broke last year and need repair or re-wiring. My garage still isn't straightened up and in 6 months I'll be pulling everything out anyhow.  My work responsibilities keep piling up.  Has anybody ever taken a year off or thought about it and if so...what do you think of it?  Don't mean to be a 'downer,' but need some input.

If I remember correctly this is supposed to be a FUN.....HOBBY.......If it's draggin' you down by all means put the lights and other stuff away for as long at it takes for you to get reguvinated.  You never know you might give it up entirely or come back with twice the enthusium.

Your not the first one to get a little burned out over Christmas displays.

Due to health reasons I had thought about taking last year off and not putting the display out.

Some of our friends stepped up and helped us put up the Display though.

Seems they wanted it up as much as we did.

I am glad we set it up.  1000's of people came by and smiled for a few minutes.

It was worth it to us.

You have to do what is right for you.  Need a break, take it.

I know of two people that did and it either great for them. I'm considering it and just do a normal static display myself.<br />A break from all the work and traffic might be a good thing.<br /><br />Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I've taken a couple of years off now. My biggest reason is I am tired of getting pieces stolen. I still like to look at displays and think about what I want to do. And it was getting to be a chore with little or no help. I will probably get back to it again but I'm not sure when. Take whatever time you need and don't think twice about it.

I've taken a couple of years off now. My biggest reason is I am tired of getting pieces stolen. I still like to look at displays and think about what I want to do. And it was getting to be a chore with little or no help. I will probably get back to it again but I'm not sure when. Take whatever time you need and don't think twice about it.

You see, for me I would put it up JUST for the challenge of catching the person who did it!!! Ever thought of throwing a camera up to catch the thief?

You see, for me I would put it up JUST for the challenge of catching the person who did it!!! Ever thought of throwing a camera up to catch the thief?

+1  +1    +1        I've seen cameras and that have recorders and night vision on the net that are quit reasonable......It would be worth the investment just to catch the bum.

+1  +1    +1        I've seen cameras and that have recorders and night vision on the net that are quit reasonable......It would be worth the investment just to catch the bum.

+1 here also

I have not taken a year off but I cut way and I mean way back for a couple of years. Just put out the lights I really liked and that was it matter of fact the only people that could see the display were family and freinds that stopped to visit. It helps the soul and as stated gives you a break to clean up and clear up the clutter and I do know about the clutter issue. I had one string of leds that would not light but I did not have time to work on them so I hung them right were I would see them to remind me to fix them, oh yea I looked at them every time I went into the shop for months but still not sure what happend but one day went in looked at the lights and had fun doing an disection of every element of that string and then directly into the trash. I did feel better but that was the first year I learned to relax and enjoy less and now it is fun again and has a reason again for me.

Yep, I took last year off, and might do the same this year. It felt refreshing. I haven't thought of selling my stuff though, I've just lost my area to work on things, and doing it at the kitchen table is too big a pain in the butt.

Ive thought about it every year and say Im going to do less because of my health and then I start and cant stop you either love it still or dont but like someone else said if it becomes a chore dont do it this year my health is real bad and i had to call in a lot of favors but I got it up we will see next year my fingers are crossed i feel a little better but i doubt it I'm getting worse....I hope you make the right decision for you and your family...have a good one and Ill bet there are a few of us still  with stuff up Im one of them.....

Last year I did take off due to health issues, it was hard. However what came out of it is great, I have to new vision of what I want this year. I'm trying to reduce the things I add to keep it fun and less stressful.

It has taken me this long (as of today) to get my garage cleaned up enough to start for this year. I am unmotivated more so than ever before. My storage unit has to be rearranged and some shelving added before I make anything else for myself. Hopefully next weekend I'll get that done with a little help. I have numerous orders for this year and I need to get started but I'm going to have to push myself a little bit to get going. Once these orders are done I won't take any orders for a while. I'm will work on my own display. I think that is was burning me out right now. I'm just feeling overwhelmed with so much to do. I may need to reconsider what my plans are for this year.

I don't want to get burned out. I know the whole little neighborhood of ours really enjoyed the display. I don't want to disappoint them or the kids. I think I might just start planning to take next year off and not do anything except put up the display exactly as it is with nothing added. Thanks for letting me vent

For me I'm not sure it's the work involved in putting up the display. Although when I'll high in the air I think why an I doing this. I love the display and all the lights. It just makes Christmas so magical.<br />The thing that makes me consider taking a year off is dealing with all the traffic. This year we had a couple really busy nights to the point the local police came. Even though it is my fault for the traffic it would be nice to not have to worry about it for one year.<br />In the end do what you feel is best. It's your house and display. Scale back or just go dark a or two.<br /><br />Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

My first year (2011) was much easier than I expected it to be.  Everything came so easy, from the sequencing to getting the lights up to everything running smooth as silk.  Last year (2012) I went big, really big, thinking it would be another piece of cake.  Boy was I wrong!!  Everything that could go wrong did go wrong, from delayed shipments of lights and controllers, inaccurate sequencing, wiring issues, bad weather, etc. Two weeks before Christmas, I was ready to give up and swore I would never do this again.  But I went with what I had, and even though the display was but a fraction of what I had envisioned, the smiles on everyones faces made up for it.  No one noticed what was missing or what didn't turn out as planned.  

This year, I am taking a different approach...one without all of the expectations I had placed on myself last year...and the display will be whatever it ends up being.  If everything turns out great...woohoo!  If not, no worries.  Because I know that everyone who stops by will be more than happy with what they see, as complete or incomplete as it may be.

I am heading into my fourth year, and I think about taking a year off every time I am in the big 'push' to get setup in November - this last year I got paid help to setup, at least some of the high lights.  And I paid to have help take down the lights, that worked out great it was down in a day vs. months.

So, if you can save the money to get a crew of 4 in, that reduces the take down stress - and I must admit I have been feeling the year flys by too fast to get ready for the next go round.

But then I look at my videos of the display and remember how grateful many of the people I speak to are and how they love the effort I make.

Traffic has grown but not to a point where it is an issue yet, so I continue.

Now to the point - prior to going "nuts" as my wife calls it, I did some static lights and some years I did not - you have to go with what you fee like.  My only two cents is take the time and maybe post a sign for those who come around to see it this year that you are taking time off, but may return.

You need to enjoy what you do, not get more stressed - good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

OKay...So I'm done thinking about taking a year off.  I appreciate everyone's comments. It really did help to discover that we all have our challenges and obstacles to overcome.  I guess I just needed some time to decompress from the winter.  I'm already thinking about this Christmas.  I am thinking of using the chorus to O Come all Ye Faithful.... "O Come let us adore Him" as my theme this December. Suggestions for good arrangements?  I have listened to the TSO arrangement and that just doesn't seem to fit.  Any other ideas?

OKay...So I'm done thinking about taking a year off.  I appreciate everyone's comments. It really did help to discover that we all have our challenges and obstacles to overcome.  I guess I just needed some time to decompress from the winter.  I'm already thinking about this Christmas.  I am thinking of using the chorus to O Come all Ye Faithful.... "O Come let us adore Him" as my theme this December. Suggestions for good arrangements?  I have listened to the TSO arrangement and that just doesn't seem to fit.  Any other ideas?

Hey........That sure is good to hear........I see you haven't regained your senses, Your back to being crazies like the rest of us :wacko:

Sorry you don't like TSO I just did Dance of the Fire Flies & I would have suggested that one.

Hey........That sure is good to hear........I see you haven't regained your senses, Your back to being crazies like the rest of us :wacko:

Sorry you don't like TSO I just did Dance of the Fire Flies & I would have suggested that one.

+1

Bing and Boowie ?

Just take a break. I have not touched anything in 2 months since packing everything away. Now that I've had a bit of time to clear my head I'm ready to start playing with a few bits and pieces before tackling any big projects. It'll all fall into place in its own time.

• 4 weeks later...

After everything I went through last year I decided to take this year off. That was untill I got some free plywood and now I can't wait for this Christmas.

I think everybody considers taking the next year off while taking down their displays.

I'm in the middle of a "take time off" stint - for more than a couple reasons.

Few odd things.... the newspaper put a article in the paper that I DIDN'T do a display, and I still have quite a few emails, calls, etc of people asking (and when the display would be back.

Since I'm currently in a condo - it greatly limits what I can do, but, after a quiet year last year - I've been going pretty heavy into the rebuild of quite a few things, and prepping them for 2014.

Prior to this I had had a few "off years" where I just didn't have it in me - most of the times that would result in a scaled down display running prior years sequences, but I still couldn't not put something up.

• 2 months later...

No doubt this is a huge job and if you're like most of us, the job gets bigger and bigger every year. I took 2012 off just to make time for other things and to keep this fun and not just a source of stress. It was one of the best things I could do.

I'm motivated again and I've decided to pretty much double the size of my show and re-evaluate certain effects in my display. I've decided some things just don't add much to the overall feel and so I've scrapped them. So overall it was a positive thing but the hardest thing was telling my four kids that we weren't doing the lights. Several times during the month of December they almost convinced me to put up the lights!

Archived