I will be using a wood telephone pole for my first mega tree with 16 channels available this year, unless I can get a 4th controller. Has anyone else ever done this or have any good ideas if I had too I could maybe borrow another 4 channels from another controller.post-17979-0-79506100-1365362310_thumb.j

That could be one heck of a mega-tree!  I hope you have control over that area pole-light, it would sure ruin the Xmas lights effect.

I'm not certain how high up you are going but-  I have 30 foot palm tree that I wrap in lights every year.  I have 2 pulleys (one each side) mounted near the top with rope coming down(think flag pole style)  I have the ropes tied to a metal hoop that fits loosely around the trunk.   To string the lights I just attache one end of the strings to the hoop, then pull it up to the top.  In my case I wrap the strings around the trunk candy-cane fashion but you could easily stake out the free ends. I like this method as I don't have to climb the tree every year.

Good Luck!

I don't want to rain on your parade.....BUT did you check with the local's in charge in your area, around here they really frown on stuff hanging off the utility poles.....the don't even allow political signs to be attached.  Or does that pole belong to you??

Well I'm not in the city limits so I will only have to check with the Elec. co. and I won't be makeing any holes in the pole so maybe they will be ok with it, I'm not going high enough to be near the power line which is the very top line, and a .22 will take care of that light til after the holiday then they can bring a new bulb, lol

• 3 weeks later...

Discharging a firearm in corprate limits??   Hope you really live in the Boonies :(   Seemes to me it would be much better to invest in a couple 2" X 10' pipes for your mega tree .......I sure wouldn't want to see you in jail for Christmas and certainly your family wouldn't want that either :-) LOL

• 4 weeks later...

How are you not going to put any holes in the pole? Sorry, but like others here, I think this is a terrible idea. I see a pole ID placard on the side of the pole - these things are on poles which are almost always owned by the power company. You're probably violating laws doing anything to it. Maybe - MAYBE - you'd be ok with going 10' up with staples (which I hate, anyway)... but any more then that is just asking for trouble. Strongly advise against using this pole.

• 3 months later...

Home depot sells 10' sections of galvanized conduit hard pipe all day long, and they also sell the threaded couplers as well.

You can drill 'em or get clamps to hang pullies from to pull up your tree rings or anything else.

Best way to go, by far......unless.....

Here's a tip for you. Go to local well drillers, they often pull up old used 1" or 1 1/4" galvanized pipe that will serve very well for most projects needeing pipe supports, and it's almost always free!

Edited by Fsbirdhouse