Satelite Movement For Santa Tracker

jarnaez

I know that this might of been posted in the past but I have not found were. I wantd to make a santa tracker with an old satelite dish.

Does anyone have plans or a how to?

It would be a great addition to my display because I live byt the airport and I have a puffie that is santa on a plane. I wanted to add this to my display this year. As for the motor the wiper moter would work bu how would you hook it up and how would you weather  proof it?

ideas and schematics/plans would be amazing.

I did something similar. In the end I abandoned my dish and just made a dish since the scale was so far off, but this should give you a start. It's run two seasons now with no issues: www.tooz.us/northpolecommandcenter.html

thanks for the dea but the video's are set to private so I can't see what  you did.

Sorry, I am not sure I am following your question, but I will be happy to help anyway I can!

Since I am using a back-and-forth motion (as opposed to going completely around), the motor can spin either direction and it won't matter, it will look the same to someone watching the dish.  The toilet flanges were because I was worried that the wind would break a regular lazy susan system bought from the store.

Did I answer you question, or did I miss you point?

Sorry, I am not sure I am following your question, but I will be happy to help anyway I can!

Since I am using a back-and-forth motion (as opposed to going completely around), the motor can spin either direction and it won't matter, it will look the same to someone watching the dish.  The toilet flanges were because I was worried that the wind would break a regular lazy susan system bought from the store.

Did I answer you question, or did I miss you point?

yeah I got that. But what Iam asking you for is how you wired up the actual wipr motor and how did you weather proof it, becuase here is my idea I wasn tto make a satelite because I live by the airport and I have an inflateable that is asanta on a plane and I though that by putting the satelite rotating left to right on the roof wouldadd character to my display.

I need to make something that is reliable & sturdy. That is what I am asking, I need to see the materials you used to make the base and the wireing of the motor, and to what did you connct it to.

I have seen some people that use computr power supplys will this work?

A so-so picture of what you want to see can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3cPJa5m-THwIJPjBXJbcVGDfv665JIWapWT5Q50gNZ8?feat=directlink

That is the motor's shaft sticking up through the bottom of the wood.  The motor is mounted directly there and is protected by the elements from the wood, though I think most people on here aren't too worried about the elements on the wiper motor.  That box is enclosed to keep things fairly dry (and to keep busy fingers out of the mechanics where they could get hurt), but it might be a little overkill.  I just mounted everything to wood and it is very sturdy.  

Computer power supplies work great and you can use the 5V (or 12V if you need it faster) supply from them.  I just pull the 5V and ground off of the power supply and wire it up to the motor.  My motor had a faster and slower option, I chose the slower option.  I used SPT-2 wire (lamp cord) to wire up the motor.  It just runs non-stop while my displays are going at night.

Did that help any?

Edited by toozie21

No problem, it's best to ask and be safe!

The quick answer is that It depends.  The higher the voltage, the faster the motor will turn.  3.3V is about as slow as you can go, and 12-15V is nearing the upper end.  So depending on what your laptop power supply puts out, it might be turning pretty fast.  This is the motor I like to use as well as a lot of others on the site (though any wiper motor can be used, the pins might be different though): http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

This page is a must-read for getting started with wiper motors, it is VERY helpful: http://www.scary-terry.com/wipmtr/wipmtr.htm

OK gotchya.  Have fun and be safe.  Post again if you have any questions.

Something I meant to post earlier, this can help visualize the movement needed for the radar: http://www.robives.com/mechanisms/crank

You can imagine the circle is attached to the wiper motor (in my case it is a piece of steel sticking out, not a circle), and then it can connect to your rotating piece (PVC flanges for me in this case, lazy susans in some of my other stuff) and it can rotate back and forth while going in a constant circle.

OK gotchya.  Have fun and be safe.  Post again if you have any questions.

Something I meant to post earlier, this can help visualize the movement needed for the radar: http://www.robives.com/mechanisms/crank

You can imagine the circle is attached to the wiper motor (in my case it is a piece of steel sticking out, not a circle), and then it can connect to your rotating piece (PVC flanges for me in this case, lazy susans in some of my other stuff) and it can rotate back and forth while going in a constant circle.

thank you sir... I will see if I can sneak into the junk yard this week end and get a wiper motor or 2 see if I can acomplish what I want