Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ddejarnett

Blow-Molded.com Going Offline

Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted in this forum, and for that, I apologize.

I simply wanted to make it known that until further notice, blow-molded.com will be offline.  Interest in the site appears to be lacking and it doesn't make financial sense to continue paying for the hosting and domain name services.

If you would be willing to make a financial contribution to the site, please contact me directly.

Sincerely,

David DeJarnett

Matt,

Thanks for the offer.  The problem isn't the hosting, it's the domain name renewal.  I've been renewing it for the past few years, but since interest has dropped, I've decided not to pay to renew it.  If someone would be willing to help pay for the renewal, I would keep the site going.

David

Ahh, I see it was registered through Network Solutions....  That's your first mistake - lol.  Their domain name services are much higher then others.  If I were you, I'd transfer it over to GoDaddy.com.  Its about $8.95 per year and I believe they give you a deal on an extension once you transfer it. 

Your only problem may be if the domain has gone into the redemption period, which, usually costs you much more to renew.  Sometimes as high as $200....

Matt - My bad experiences with GoDaddy's support outweigh the cost.  I've registered over 50 domains with Netsol with next to no issues.

Chris - The domain name renewal is $38 for the year plus a $25 reinstatement fee.

David, I want to thank you for all your help and generosity over the years in helping to keep the website up and running.  It is disappointing to see it close but considering the lack of interest from others it just wasn't worth the work of taking and editing the pictures of our blow molds for Kev to upload there anymore.  If there had been more interest I would have paid the fee myself.  Maybe someday in the future I might look for a way to get them online again as we still have a few hundred different blow molds that pictures have not been taken of yet.  That is not a very high priority at this time though.

Mel

This really shocks me that it has come to this.  That's a lot of effort and work put into B-M for the enjoyment of everyone, including us who work on it.  We do it for everyone out there, but it is a passion for those who work on it as well.

But Mel is correct, show your support!  All three of us have donated our time and services for free, for all of you out there.  This is very rewarding, but when support isn't shown, it takes that element away.  Mel has the same sentiment I do, if everyone out there is supportive, it gives us something too, if they're not, why are we doing it?

That PayPal donation button wasn't there for show or personal gain, it was there for costs involved with the site, as I stated there.  I never received a single donation, ever, through it.  Not one.  I had two people donate at the launch, when I was still hosting the site myself on .Mac, one from Carrie Sansing and one from someone else whom I can't remember unfortunately, my apologies to them.  Since David has hosted it generously at his own cost no less, however, I have not received anything to give him.

Surely something fun that also helps others is worth donating to?  There isn't much fun in these days of general turmoil, Isn't it worth having something nice anymore?  I guess I'm wrong.

As I told David, all I can give is time to B-M.  I do not have the money to pay for costs involved.  I work all the time and am still behind on my bills.  I am one of those for whom the economy is really affecting.  Renovation work (which is what I do, with my business partner) is not paying well these days, but it keeps me going.  However literally every cent I make matters right now.

If anyone out there wants to see B-M return, please donate.  You could all make a difference by getting together and each contributing a very small amount each.  This shows your support and will keep the site going.

I don't have much faith considering there are only two outside posters in this thread.  But thank you to both for showing you care, every person who does matters.  I hope one of you or several as a group will step forward and bring B-M back online.

Please contact David!

Immense gratitude goes out to David and Mel, and also the others who contributed pictures and documents for the site.

Guys, should you find someone to donate the cost of the domain renewal, my offer still stands for free hosting... Not sure what your paying now, but it can't get any cheaper then free - lol

Guys, should you find someone to donate the cost of the domain renewal, my offer still stands for free hosting... Not sure what your paying now, but it can't get any cheaper then free - lol

Sorry I've been a bum and haven't done my share.  I can chip in $25.  Please let me know where to PayPal the money, or who to send a check to.

I'm with Elaine..........How can we paypal a donation..........I think I can sell one of my Blow Molds to pay for reinstatement......The Blow Mold gods will forgive me.....

Even though I'm not in a place to donate, I can tell you i really enjoy your site I have found it to be a great resourse.  

Sorry I've been a bum and haven't done my share.  I can chip in $25.  Please let me know where to PayPal the money, or who to send a check to.

I'm with Elaine..........How can we paypal a donation..........I think I can sell one of my Blow Molds to pay for reinstatement......The Blow Mold gods will forgive me.....

I am curious, could we get 10 people to donate $20 each, or 20 people to donate $10 each?  If so, the domain name could be registered for five years and it would not be necessary to possibly go through this situation each year.  That would also show if there is enough interest in the website to make it worth while for David and Kev to do the work necessary to open the site up again.  If nine people donate the $20 or 19 people donate the $10, I will make the final donation plus the remaining balance that would be due on the reinstatement fee.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

I too dont have a lot, I have a son getting married soon,  but could send $10. I see all the work that Mel puts into it to document it for the rest of us. How many times have we looked something up? I guess I never thought about it being a cost for someone.  I think it is a resource that we would all miss.

Edited by Deeny Dine

Guest Holidays With Gris

So Mel If Deeny gives 10.00, Elaine gives 25.00, Fathertime gives $25.00? and DVChris gives 20.00 how much more is needed to reinstate it for 5 years?

Thanks,

Gris

Thank you to those who have volunteered donations towards the fees for the five year domain name re-registration of Blow-Mold.com.  I have sent the PayPal information to each of you who have offered and Kev is going to try to set up a PayPal button here on PC.

Mel

So Mel If Deeny gives 10.00, Elaine gives 25.00, Fathertime gives $25.00? and DVChris gives 20.00 how much more is needed to reinstate it for 5 years?

Thanks,

Gris

Hi Gris, there is also another member who wishes to remain anonymous who will be donating another $20..  At this time there have been five offers of donations for a total of $100 of the $184 five year fee

Mel.

Guest Holidays With Gris

Well this is a very informative website and its important to those who collect.  The time and effort those people responsible for the site have put into the project is truelly amazing.  Activating the site for 5yrs is something we all can benefit from as collectors and even re-sellers.  I say lets fire this site back up!!  I have a few blow molds we need to archive on the site still.  Mel bill me for the remaining 84.00 just email me the details.

Thanks

Gris AKA Cory

My money has been sent as well.  

Way to go, Gris!  That's what I call stepping up to the plate!  Woot!   :cool:

Guest Holidays With Gris

Mcas4380 if you want to help out too thats awesome!  I am sure Mel can send you an email on it and I can pay the 74.00 remaining. I am more than happy to help out and get the site back up.  Anyone else interested feel free to chime in if you would like.  I always think its great when people contribute because its not just a site anymore its a community and you get a sense of ownership and accomplishment helping out.