Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Glenn Barber

Finally Completing The Story

Guys,

It has been a year or so since I got on to PC - my wife and I moved about a year and a half ago and we have not put up our display since 2010 - but this year - it is a must for me to do it.  I have a little girl who has brian cancer and one of her wishes is to see Mr. Glenn's Christmas display again.  In the past I have been mainly faith based with my nativity scene and a huge cross on top of my house - Angels flying and a choir telling the story of jesus - in my opinion you can't have the birth without the death.  Now that I have much more room in my yard I want to add the final element to my display.  I want to add jesus's tomb with the stone moved away from the entrance - He has risen indeed - So I will have in my display - Joseph and Mary Traveling on the Donkey - The Birth (nativity Scene)- The cross and last he has risen out of the tomb.  It will just show the open Tomb.

Here is my delima - I want to build a rock wall about 8 foot high and about 15 feet wide with an open entrance to the tomb and the stone moved away.  I do not know why but I am having a very dificult time figuring out how to get that rock look on the outside of the tomb - i don not want just painted Plywood - that would look cheezy - I want it to look authentic - this is why I am here - I am sure within 24 hrs i will have the answer because you guys have always been so helpful - i have to keep in mind that i have to store this stuff after christmas.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Glenn

Guys,

It has been a year or so since I got on to PC - my wife and I moved about a year and a half ago and we have not put up our display since 2010 - but this year - it is a must for me to do it.  I have a little girl who has brian cancer and one of her wishes is to see Mr. Glenn's Christmas display again.  In the past I have been mainly faith based with my nativity scene and a huge cross on top of my house - Angels flying and a choir telling the story of jesus - in my opinion you can't have the birth without the death.  Now that I have much more room in my yard I want to add the final element to my display.  I want to add jesus's tomb with the stone moved away from the entrance - He has risen indeed - So I will have in my display - Joseph and Mary Traveling on the Donkey - The Birth (nativity Scene)- The cross and last he has risen out of the tomb.  It will just show the open Tomb.

Here is my delima - I want to build a rock wall about 8 foot high and about 15 feet wide with an open entrance to the tomb and the stone moved away.  I do not know why but I am having a very dificult time figuring out how to get that rock look on the outside of the tomb - i don not want just painted Plywood - that would look cheezy - I want it to look authentic - this is why I am here - I am sure within 24 hrs i will have the answer because you guys have always been so helpful - i have to keep in mind that i have to store this stuff after christmas.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Glenn

try spray on foam and then texture i out with dif color spray paints

jarnaez and Bleboeuf,

I have actually been looking at the spray on foam idea - would you use a plywood backing and spray on the foam and it would give you that rock look - plus is there a foam cover you can buy that would cover more area than buying those cans of foam?  if so - do the big box store have it?

you could also look at the insulations foam boards (same stuff people make Tombstones from) and back it with thinner plywood and carve out the stone look and paint. I think this would be less time consuming then the cans. also Harbor hreight sells a insulation or foam knife which heats up to cut threw this like butter. just make each section able to connect and then be seperated for storage. I can't open the Drylock link from work so if it's the samething I'm talking about sorry.

Edited by Mcas4380

Check out the haloween sites, I have a link to a Castle somewhere and also a city of Bethlohem that was made out of "fake" rock

Guys,

I just went on the internet and found a forum that showed how to make fake bolders - I got it now - thanks for all your help this show be pretty easy.

Glenn

Glenn, I have used 3" sheets of styrofoam (white) to make stone looking walls for stage shows.  I used a heat gun to mold the foam edges for bolders and blocks and various spray paints for coloration.  Careful with the heat gun though, it melts foam fast.  Also, I used a sliding track that was mounted on the bolder to "roll" it away from tomb entrance.  Start early and experiment for the look you want etc.  God Bless.

Glenn,

the foam comes in sheets 4x8 from lowes...there 2" thick.  To make a tombstone as it shows on the slideshow, I put two pieces back to back then I covered it with Grey Drylock (also from Lowes.) then using a wash....some tinting colors mixed with mostly water....brush that on.  The drylock has a gritty texture, then adding some darker colors with a wash and then using a drybrush technique with some white, just makes it "pop"

hope that helps.

later

Barry

Well Guys, I started doing some experimenting tonight on building my tomb - here is what I have discovered - I bought some 1/8" square wire (small enough that not much will go through it.  I took about 2 feet of it and krinkled it up to look uneven like a rock wall - then I took "Great Stuff" - the foam stuff you spray in cracks - I sprayed all over the wire - I am sure i can spray it thinner to spread further - covered all of the missed spots on the wire - I let it setup for awhile and in about 30 minutes it had completely dried on the wire (and will not come off) - it reall does look like rock unpainted - then I sprayed a silver and black paint on it - that has not dried - but i really think it looks pretty good - especially from a distance - next I will paint some dry lock on it to seal it up - Guys I am just experimenting tonight but I think it will look pretty good - i will have to be careful because it can be messy until it dries - I learned you can't spread it with a trowl - it messes up. - My wife of course has her opinion about how messy it is - But that is OK - I might take a picture of the experiment and show it get some opinions from Ya'll - my alternative is shape wire like rock and cover it with Burlap and then paint that - but I really want this to work.  Wish me luck.

Your alternative will work, however, you will have to drench your burlap in monster mud.

What is monster mud? It's drywall compound mixed with laytex paint. The ratio is 5 parts compound to 1 part paint.

The paint color is not important. Black is best though as it makes a nice gray for stone.

Dip your burlap into the mix and wring out the excesses. (this will hurt the hands after a while) then drape it over your rock wall.

When your creation is dry, you will then need to drylok it to waterproof it.

After that its just a matter of detailing the rock formations..

On a side note. Large pieces of burlap soaked in monster mud can get very heavy. If you have back problems, get someone to help you.

But when this stuff dries it becomes light again. Give your wall a few days to dry out.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Edited by christmas_nut

I will be making my wall out of Plywood and 2 x 4's and then sculpturing 1/4" chicken screen wire to make it look like rock and then covering that - will this work on the wire  (I mean stick to the wire screen after it dries? - If this would work it sound great = plus this is going to be outside - will the dry lock protect it from the elements?

When you talk about 5 part Compuond and 1 part Laytex - what is that in gallons or quarts?  LOL

It can be cups depending on how much you need. but in your case I would do gallons.

Drylock should protect it. I have seen people put that black driveway sealer on after the mud dries and then paint over that with drylock

Edited by christmas_nut

Hi Nut,

Thank you for the site - I am fixing to go on vacation next week and when I get back get started on building my tomb - I am leaning this rather than fiberglass - seem much cheaper - if the drylock protects it totally from the weather I will go this way - but of course I want to use it year after year so it needs to hold up.

Thanks again

OK guys - made it back from vacation in Florida - rained everyday on the beach - oh well - got to think about my Tomb alot.  When I got home I started experimenting with different products and your ideas I first took my 1/4" wire mesh - I took Contact Cement (from HD) brushed it heavily on my Burlap (front and back) - placed it over the wire - then I took my brush and put contact cement on the back side of the wire and burlap (so the wire and burlap would really bond) - let it dry real good - then I took Drylock and mixed it and spread it with a brush over the burlap once the contact cement dried - The drylock dried great looking - then I painted over the drylock with exterior gray paint.  I have to admit it looks really like a rock.  It has been raining at my house on and off for the last few days so i have laid the piece out side and let it get wet and then dry and so far everything is holding up extremely well. The burlap is not separating at all from the wire.  I think this is the direction I am going to go - I plan on taking pictures of each step as I build it - I would be glad to share if you want it.  SO FAR SO GOOD!

Hey Guys and Ladies,

I want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions on how to make my Tomb for my Christmas Display.  I have been working on it almost all of July and August.  It has been coming along real well so far.  I have the frame built and weatherproofed - I have the Tomb entrance built and completed.  I have the wire mesh completed on one side of the tomb.  This will give me the rock shape.  I have to do the other side and top, then, I will be ready to glue the burlap on the wire and then put the Drylock on and paint it.  So far it is coming out just about how I invisioned it.  It is a total of 12 feet long but it is all built in 2 - 6 foot sections for storage purposes.  I will tell you I have had to REPENT more than once in the making of this thing. LOL!  The wire mesh eats up your hands - I put gloves on but it is hard to work with them on.

Here is a couple of early pictures - I am not sure you can tell alot about it but it is the frame and Tomb Entrance.  i will take more pictures after i complete the wire mesh part.  As always, i am open for suggestions if anyone sees anything I can do diiferent.  That is what is great about this website.  There is alot of knowledge to be taken advantage of.

Thanks again

Glenn[

post-241-0-46327400-1376333167_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-85410400-1376333152_thumb.jpg