Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Art Ritchie

Decorating Enthusiasts Aplenty? Or Declining?

I havent been able to engage my passion for extreme holiday decorating for the past 3-4 years due to....well....due to life. As a result, I havent been around the forums for quite some time, aside from the occasional check-in. Today, I saw a sign on a telephone for 'We can decorate your house!' and it got me wondering. Is the enthusiast community still hopping strong? Is it still growing and working on a myriad of projects all year long? Or has the hobby taken a hit and seen a decline in forces? I know its hard to judge just by looking at the forums, as history shows that the forums get pretty quiet after the holidays and stay that way for a while. Just curious how everyone else has been effected by times.

Later peoples!!

Art :)

I havent been able to engage my passion for extreme holiday decorating for the past 3-4 years due to....well....due to life. As a result, I havent been around the forums for quite some time, aside from the occasional check-in. Today, I saw a sign on a telephone for 'We can decorate your house!' and it got me wondering. Is the enthusiast community still hopping strong? Is it still growing and working on a myriad of projects all year long? Or has the hobby taken a hit and seen a decline in forces? I know its hard to judge just by looking at the forums, as history shows that the forums get pretty quiet after the holidays and stay that way for a while. Just curious how everyone else has been effected by times.

Later peoples!!

Art :)

They do get a bit quiet but people are still working on projects for their display

They do get a bit quiet but people are still working on projects for their display

agreed there are alot around. there is just more places they can be now

I have had a company call me each year for the last 6 years to see if I would like an estimate on putting up some Christmas lights. I tell them every year that I have no doubt that I have more inventory than they do and ask if they would like to buy some! I think that our hobby is growing quite a bit. I was the first in my area to go animated and now there are houses everywhere that are going blinky flashy. It is always slow on the forums this time of year!

I think it is peaking. With the Mr. Christmas boxes out there and hundreds of videos that tickle the wannabes, I think that the new additions have or will level off.

It would take a lot to get more newbies than those who have joined since 2005.

I know that here, I was the only guy around. Now, there are dozens. But we have the room for growth.

I like your question, it's a thought provoker. 

I have always loved decorating for Christmas and I hope the interest is still rising. This past year was my finest and I was quite proud of my display . . .  thank you very much, but I was disappointed in the feedback from my neighbors or the community in general. There are a select few that can appreciate the incredible amount of work that goes into a display, animated or static. Actually I mean anyone that belongs to PC.

So I ask myself am I doing it for myself or is it a narcissistic ambition? Maybe a little of both.  But my enjoyment of looking out the window and seeing the snowfall on the dancing lights at night is one of the most peaceful, fulfilling, rewarding, times of the year. Calming, spiritual, magical, enchanting, fun!

I love driving thru the streets and neighborhoods and seeing the lights.  Even if it’s a single string across the front of the house or the open curtains showcasing a small tree, I love it. A string of red and green or the overblown explosion of a thousand sets, I wish everyone would decorate for the time of year even if not for the Christ season.

Waxing or waning?  Don’t know, but I hope it’s growing.  Either way I am still looking forward to September when the lights start going up!

Sorry for the quality of the photos, most know that pictures can't capture the moment.

post-7211-0-26681100-1368244329_thumb.jp

post-7211-0-79057600-1368244381_thumb.jp

Edited by RAB

Great point  RAB. I think that we need to look at why we do this. Are we looking to please ourselves or everyone else. I love Christmas lights and Christmas period. Lest we forget what we are celebrating! The birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ!!! 

I look at it as what is in the heart when decorating is done ....to me it's the love that goes into it , weather it be a few strings of lights  or hundreds of animated channels controlling  the lights.   Lastly remembering why the  "REASON FOR THE SEASON"

I don't think interest is waning at all.  It's just shifting around.  There will always be the die-hards that do it year after year, those whose homes are on the must see list for families everywhere.  And then there will be the newbies who pop up every year.  Some will catch the bug and continue to feed their addiction while others will come and go.  And many times it simply takes a neighbors decorations to spark their interest.

When I moved to my home 8 years ago, only one house on my street decorated and it was with a single string of lights.  Having moved from a condo, I couldn't wait to put up lights.  A few strings the first year, a few more the next, and then I took the plunge into blinky-flashy a couple of years ago.  As a result, there are now 8 homes that put up lights for the holidays.  Some are more elaborate than others, but we all feel a connection to each other and the season.  It brought us together as a neighborhood.

A very similar situation happened to as in Joes neighborhood........When we moved in to our new home we comented how sparsley the homes were decorated for Christmas. So we just did our same thing as in the past doing  our static display then the following were we went blinky flashy and since then more and more homes in our neighborhood are being decorated for Christmas. Maybe it just takes 1 to really get more started. 

We like to think we caused more to decorate there homes, maybe the wifes got on ther case after seeing what we did

(LOL)

Edited by gmac

As an old(er) guy I'd like to add that when I bought my first house as a young(er) guy there was very little budget left over for decorating.  Heck, even to this day my wife grits her teeth when the lights go on sale knowing that I'll be attacking our savings for even MORE lights.

You gotta love it all.

Hope this is a biger year for us,  reitre from a full time job in November, just added another 100 amp sub panel, finished a 10' x14' log building for decoration and storage, at 60 years yound, hope to keep this going for a while.

everyone here is a inspiration, especially as we start to make the transition for "puffers" to less airblowns and more blinky flashy.  jsut replaced our PC, holding on to the old one, hope to run some shows with it soon.

Not to toot my own horn ,because many of our members have had similar experiences; but, I've lost count of the number of younger couples that said they started decorating with lights because they enjoyed our display so much. The sickness is spreading!! and that's a good thing.

I think the "wow factor" of animated shows is fading due to them becoming seen by more and more people over time.A few years ago,many had never even saw an animated light show. I am beginning to really enjoy a  well done static display moreso than a "light show",maybe I am getting old? To me it just looks more like classic christmas compared to a disco.

I think the "wow factor" of animated shows is fading due to them becoming seen by more and more people over time.A few years ago,many had never even saw an animated light show. I am beginning to really enjoy a  well done static display moreso than a "light show",maybe I am getting old? To me it just looks more like classic christmas compared to a disco.

I know what you are saying, but I have to say that just LOVE any Christmas lights. Such a wonderful time of year!

Great point  RAB. I think that we need to look at why we do this. Are we looking to please ourselves or everyone else. I love Christmas lights and Christmas period. Lest we forget what we are celebrating! The birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ!!! 

I agree but i love both that's why i put up a ton of stuff but i also put up 6 manger scenes so I love the decorating part but i never forget why we are doing it in the first place

I believe the amount of decorateres keeps growing i see more and more every year. but  Do to the internet some of our younger people are just less impressed then they use to be do to things like YouTube. My wife was showing her nail lady our show on here phone last year. the nail ladies teenage daughter was there and they asked her if she would like to see it. Her almost immediate response was I like the DUB step house. Then the teenage figured out they were talking about a house in town, my house.  A lot of people spend so much time online they forget there are things around them also.