Finally Pullin The Trigger On A Driveway Arch...

but, It's only going to be 1 arch towards the end of my driveway which is about 20' across.

My only worry is that the arch may fall over under high winds.

I plan on using the rebar method for starters.

I am also making some Nutcracker cutouts that I stake to the ground to "guard" the archway, and was planing to zip tie the arch to them as well.

By my math the arch will be about 11' in the middle.

I am probably going to use 1" electrical conduit to build the arch it will be lit with red white and green c6 led lights 140 of each

I believe the strings are 12' long with 70 lights per string.

Am I on the right path or should I add more bracing. IE. Guy wires.

never built one myself, but I'd opt for the guy wires.  You could probably get away with pretty thin ones though like nylon cable or something like that.  Two on each side maybe?  If you had multiple arches then you could tie them together and maybe avoid the guys, but idk for sure.

Christmas Nut:

I have 2 arches very similar to what you described.  I also used the re-bar to anchor the ends. However, we have lots of wind in OK.  I recommend that you consider using "T" fence posts on each end.  I use the 6 ft long posts, green.  I drive the post in and wire the ends of the arches to the posts.  They are close enough to the end of the arch that they are not really noticeable during the day and don't show up at all during the show.  The arch has a little sway in the middle when it's really windy but they stood up to 50 mph gusts last year.  Use the standard formula for the circumference of a circle and divide by 1/2, That's your length  Mine ended up being about 28 ft long to get it high enough to drive under.  I divided the 28 ft. into 4 sections of 7 ft each with 2 lighting channels on each section.  It's very easy to handle and store and easy to replace lighting sections when they go out  (They do.).  They are really fun to watch when all the work is done and are the highlight of the show.  I'll warn you they are a lot of work and the wrapping takes lots of time.  There are some great ideas here for that..  Enjoy!

My Driveway Arch Made of Electrical Conduit  at each weak point I used a smaller conduit and screwed the sections together so it made it solid, I lucked out each end goes into a fence pole cemented into the groud, I used eye hooks which are drilled into the pipe and made pvp sections that hook into those eyes just a little heat bending for the main curves and did this for a few holiday so I have sections to make putting up different holidays easier, granted this was from 2012  and I have improved on my idea a little for 2013

1039899_10201676487697922_974380147_o.jp

Edited by Lights on Light Street Ct

Christmas Nut:

I have 2 arches very similar to what you described.  I also used the re-bar to anchor the ends. However, we have lots of wind in OK.  I recommend that you consider using "T" fence posts on each end.  I use the 6 ft long posts, green.  I drive the post in and wire the ends of the arches to the posts.  They are close enough to the end of the arch that they are not really noticeable during the day and don't show up at all during the show.  The arch has a little sway in the middle when it's really windy but they stood up to 50 mph gusts last year.  Use the standard formula for the circumference of a circle and divide by 1/2, That's your length  Mine ended up being about 28 ft long to get it high enough to drive under.  I divided the 28 ft. into 4 sections of 7 ft each with 2 lighting channels on each section.  It's very easy to handle and store and easy to replace lighting sections when they go out  (They do.).  They are really fun to watch when all the work is done and are the highlight of the show.  I'll warn you they are a lot of work and the wrapping takes lots of time.  There are some great ideas here for that..  Enjoy!

Thank you. Could you post a picture of how you set up your arch. I think I under stand what you are saying but I just need a visual confirmation.

I have three arches over my drive. 12 feet high. I use 3/4 emt driven 30 inches into the ground. I lay out the anchor points 12 feet from the drive center pound in the 5 foot long 3/4 emt @ ~30 degrees angling top toward drive. Arch is 40 fet of 1-1/2 pvc

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did a test run on monday. No guy wires, no lights. It seemed pretty solid.

Im going to add lights soon for a second test.

on a side note, the neighbours think Im trying to get on one of the TLC christmas light shows.

If only.

But did you test it with 50 mph winds? :)  Also I would test it once you get lights on it. They will add lots of weight making it more unstable. I had to add additional shingle tabs to my wooden strips I have my roof lights attached to the first year I started using them. I started with just one on each end and although the wood layed flat against the shingles the Oklahoma wind would pull the wooden strips and large flat plastic tabs (which slide up under the shingles) out. Better safe than sorry. Stick it outside the next few rainstorms. I am sure at least one of them will have high winds. We just had roof and tree and fence damage twice in the last week down in the OKC area.

I think My wife would have a mild heart attack if I set up a christmas display item in our yard for a few days(even to test it). I know the neighbourhood kids would love it.

I will have to test it soon. We are in the middle of a heat wave here in saint john no wind or rain in sight. I will keep an eye on the weather for some storms then the final tests will begin.

Its funny that I want a storm to come so I can decorate. Usualy its the other way around.

The neighbours think Im nuts. I set the arch up the other day just before our little rain storm. I even pluged it in. It held its own in the freakishly high winds but eventually saged back and i just decided to pull it out. I think it fell back because of the combination of rain and high wind. I may re think the design a little. I thinking along the lines of sleeves. not sure yet though.