Advice Please: Linkage Needed To Make A Prop Move Up And Down

I want to make a prop similar to a tombstone popper, where a head will move up and down.  The linkage for the tombstone popper creates a small circular motion as it moves up and down.  I’d prefer the movement to be straight up and down.  I want to do it mechanically with a wiper motor and not get into any pneumatics.

The head I plan to use will be a Styrofoam head on an aluminum bar, therefore weight will be very low.  I’d like to create between 12” and 16” of vertical travel distance.

So what would the linkage look like to create a straight vertical motion?

Tks!

Joe

Joe, what is the wiper motor out of, What does the end of the shaft look like, is it square elliptical or something else. Does it use a nut to hold the shaft on. Do you have access to a table saw and a drill press. One more thing what kind of frame are you using for the tombstone. I made a jack in the box for a friend and I think you could do the same application for this. If you want you can call me at 360-876-5843 and I can explain what I did.

Charles

You might want to look at a cam follower (see this animation).  I did something similar on a smaller scale using a wiper motor as well to make a bear's walkie talkie go up and down with a pause on both ends using a wiper motor.  There are some pics and videos of it here.

These look great, was looking for information like this. Thank you for posting.

You might want to look at a cam follower (see this animation).  I did something similar on a smaller scale using a wiper motor as well to make a bear's walkie talkie go up and down with a pause on both ends using a wiper motor.  There are some pics and videos of it here.

Thanks!!  That just might work.  Certainly worth a try; however to get 12" - 16" of vertical travel, that's going to take a big cam and take a pretty big enclosure.  I really like the simplicity of it.

Thanks!!!

Joe, what is the wiper motor out of, What does the end of the shaft look like, is it square elliptical or something else. Does it use a nut to hold the shaft on. Do you have access to a table saw and a drill press. One more thing what kind of frame are you using for the tombstone. I made a jack in the box for a friend and I think you could do the same application for this. If you want you can call me at 360-876-5843 and I can explain what I did.

Charles

Thank you Charlie, I will give you a call.

Joe