Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
SMEIGHAN

Denver Get Together

Denver Area Christmas Get Together, Aug 31 , 2013

Here are the people who have responded so far with interest for a Denver (Highlands Ranch) get together and their avail dates

Please respond if you would also like to attend

Name        |     Jul 27     |     Aug 3   |   Aug 10  |   Aug 17  |   Aug 24  | Aug 31
----------+-------------+-----------+----------+-----------+---------+------------
Sean        |        Y         |     N         |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     |  DLA
Brian        |        Y         |     Y         |    Y         |      N       |      N       |      N     | DLA
taybrynn   |        Y         |     N         |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     | DLA
javo          |        N        |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y      | DIYC
kmalsom   |        Y         |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | DIYC
kevin        |        Y         |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | LOR
T. Bennett |        Y         |     Y         |    N        |     N        |      N       |      N     | LOR
greg.ca     |        Y         |     Y         |    Y        |     Y        |      Y        |      Y     | LOR
mms         |        N        |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | FALCON
pk            |        Y         |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
dpitts        |       N         |    N          |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
kevin        |        Y        |     Y          |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
rich           |        Y        |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON

It Looks like Aug 31 will work for the most folks.

grep.ca says he can host. Greg can you confirm?
Backup, Steve (mms) thinks he can reserve a conference room at the radio station he works at. 

I was thinking 10am to 5pm on Aug 31? We have people driving down from Fort Collins and up from Colorado springs.

What would you like to see discussed? I will give a talk on the latest Nutcracker and explain the new library of marked up songs from audacity.

Other subjects?

thanks
sean

Shaun, I'm good for hosting at my home on any of those dates. My son Joey will be going back to college in North Dakota around the first week of August so obviously the August 3rd will be my choice as Joey can attend and learn more. I just need to know what everybody wants to do and the final date. I should have a 36 strand RGB megatree getting close to completion that I have been working on for a few months ready to show off. I'm waiting on supplies from China and additional funding from the 'boss' to procure additional 5V strips and two more additional controllers. ($200.00 each). I would like to have this running, tested and installed by Halloween.

As it turns out, I have a lot of 5 meter WS2811 strips 12VDC still brand new in the bags not opened that I want to sell from Ray Wu.  They are just a few weeks old. I also would like to set up a 'swap meet' of Christmas light items that we all could buy/sell/trade. Bring all your unused or un-needed christmas light stuff and let's see if we can trade. I'm currently needing 5V WS2811 strips as my requirements for my megatree changed in mid build.

A few of you have already been to our home. We are two blocks south of Highlands Ranch Parkway and 3-4 blocks east of Santa Fe. Exact address and directions is on our web site at www.HighlandsRanchChristmas.com

Looking forward to seeing you all there. --Greg--

Shaun, I'm good for hosting at my home on any of those dates. My son Joey will be going back to college in North Dakota around the first week of August so obviously the August 3rd will be my choice as Joey can attend and learn more. I just need to know what everybody wants to do and the final date. I should have a 36 strand RGB megatree getting close to completion that I have been working on for a few months ready to show off. I'm waiting on supplies from China and additional funding from the 'boss' to procure additional 5V strips and two more additional controllers. ($200.00 each). I would like to have this running, tested and installed by Halloween.

As it turns out, I have a lot of 5 meter WS2811 strips 12VDC still brand new in the bags not opened that I want to sell from Ray Wu.  They are just a few weeks old. I also would like to set up a 'swap meet' of Christmas light items that we all could buy/sell/trade. Bring all your unused or un-needed christmas light stuff and let's see if we can trade. I'm currently needing 5V WS2811 strips as my requirements for my megatree changed in mid build.

A few of you have already been to our home. We are two blocks south of Highlands Ranch Parkway and 3-4 blocks east of Santa Fe. Exact address and directions is on our web site at www.HighlandsRanchChristmas.com

Hi Greg, it looks like aug 31 is the date that most people can make. I am interested in buying your ws2811's. I will use them for arches.

I will be ordering the 5v ws2811 for a matrix since each pixel is individually addressable.

So I need 12v ws2811 for arches

5v ws2811 for matrix

We are greeting something close to 16 people. We have an offer to get a conf room at a local fire station and also at a local radio station as backup if your house doesn't work. I am going on the assumption aug 31 at your house from 10am to evening works at your house. I will look to arrange a vixen 3 presenter using era viewer. I will bring a projector to connect our laptops.

Dave Pitts will have some of his Falcon Pixelnet Dmx boards (FPD) there. This board is e1.31 in and 32k channels of Pixelnet out.

He will also have bring some of his falcon-16 boards (Pixelnet in, 16x170 strings out)

We are looking for someone to showers also.

I will bring my 20x120 matrix and run some xlights stuff on it.

I plan on sharing 20-30 songs already sequenced with the group.

Thanks

Seab

Hi Greg, it looks like aug 31 is the date that most people can make. I am interested in buying your ws2811's. I will use them for arches.

I will be ordering the 5v ws2811 for a matrix since each pixel is individually addressable.

So I need 12v ws2811 for arches

5v ws2811 for matrix

We are greeting something close to 16 people. We have an offer to get a conf room at a local fire station and also at a local radio station as backup if your house doesn't work. I am going on the assumption aug 31 at your house from 10am to evening works at your house. I will look to arrange a vixen 3 presenter using era viewer. I will bring a projector to connect our laptops.

Dave Pitts will have some of his Falcon Pixelnet Dmx boards (FPD) there. This board is e1.31 in and 32k channels of Pixelnet out.

He will also have bring some of his falcon-16 boards (Pixelnet in, 16x170 strings out)

We are looking for someone to showers also.

I will bring my 20x120 matrix and run some xlights stuff on it.

I plan on sharing 20-30 songs already sequenced with the group.

Thanks

Seab

OK, August 31 it is. 16 people is a push. If we get confirmed over 12, I think we should do it at at the fire station. Anything around 12 we can do it at my home.  Where is this fire station located?

Call me tomorrow to discuss my WS2811's. I don't understand the 'showers' comment. I think that you meant to 'show' something.

July 22 Update:

What: Denver Area Christmas Get Together
When: 10am-5pm Aug 31 , 2013
Where: This is changing as the list of people has gotten larger than Greg thinks he can host. Brian is looking at a conference room at the Admin office of the Fire Department where he works. Steve (mms) might be able to get a conference room at his radio station. He is a DJ on radio station KEZW in Denver (http://tunein.com/program/?ProgramId=432614&StationId=32570)
3rd backup is Sean to get conference room at St Andrew church, Highlands Ranch.

Updated list of people interested

Name         |     Jul 27   |     Aug 3   |   Aug 10  |   Aug 17  |   Aug 24  | Aug 31    | FORUM
--------------+------------+------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-------
Sean           |        Y      |     N         |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     |  DLA
Brian           |        Y      |     Y         |    Y         |      N       |      N       |      Y     | DLA
taybrynn      |        Y      |     N        |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     | DLA
javo             |        N     |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y      | DIYC
kmalsom      |        Y      |     Y        |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | DIYC
kevin           |        Y      |     Y        |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | LOR
T. Bennett    |        Y     |     Y         |    N        |     N        |      N       |      N     | LOR
greg.ca        |        Y     |     Y         |    Y        |     Y        |      Y        |      Y     | LOR
mms            |        N     |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | FALCON
pk                |        Y      |     Y        |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
dpitts            |       N      |    N         |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
kevin            |        Y     |     Y        |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
rich               |        Y    |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
kiplorenzo     |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | LOR
dandameron  |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | FALCON

We have people driving down from Fort Collins and up from Colorado springs.

Some suggestions for an agenda

Brian wrote:
- If enough people have the falcon16, perhaps David can talk about setup etc.
- Swap meet if people have stuff to sell or trade.
- Show and tell. I thought this was one of the best parts down in the COS as well as the recent academy in TX.
- setting up rgb / universes to work in LOR3
- how Sean ran show only using nutcracker
- Basics of using vixen 3. Someone in the metro used it exclusively, although I don't remember who.
mms wrote:
A demo of the Falcon Pi Player may be neat.
I'd like to see a demo of Vixen 3 and/or HLS.
Maybe a show and tell new show elements.
sean wrote:
- i will demonstrate how to share nutcracker sequences. ill bring 20 already done and share them
- will bring my 20x120 flex strips and set them up to demo xlights
Greg write:
- I have a lot of 5 meter WS2811 strips 12VDC still brand new in the bags not opened that I want to sell from Ray Wu.  They are just a few     weeks old. 
- I also would like to set up a 'swap meet' of Christmas light items that we all could buy/sell/trade. Bring all your unused or un-needed christmas light stuff and let's see if we can trade. 
-I'm currently needing 5V WS2811 strips as my requirements for my megatree changed in mid build.

Thanks all

sean

Brian (FireMedic4Christ) has found us a venue

Conference room reserved at my HQ just north of park meadows mall (I-25 & County Line) for aug 31 from 9am- 530pm.

South Metro Fire Rescue Authority Administration
9195 East Mineral Ave
Centennial, CO 80138

Basement level conference room 1 and 2

projectors and screens, wifi, kitchen, soda and snack machines, bring extension cord and power strips, 

I think room holds over 100 so there will be plenty of room and it can be divided it we want.

Brian

We have our first door prize thanks to Jim StJohn from San Devices

jstjohnz wrote:
I will donate an E6804 for a door prize, just need someone to give me a reminder a couple of weeks before.

The Sandevices E680/E681/E682 Pixel Controllers, part of the PIXEL PROJECT
www.sandevices.com

Newest update on Aug 2, 2013

What: Denver Area Christmas Get Together
When: 9am-6pm Aug 31 , 2013
Where: Conference room reserved at FireMedic4Christ work. just north of park meadows mall (I-25 & County Line) for aug 31 from 9am- 530pm.
South Metro Fire Rescue Authority Administration
9195 East Mineral Ave
Centennial, CO 80138
Basement level conference room 1 and 2
projectors and screens, wifi, kitchen, soda and snack machines, bring extension cord and power strips, 
I think room holds over 100 so there will be plenty of room and it can be divided it we want.

Updated list of people interested, Current count for this event (count has increaed by two since last update Jul 30)
19 Yes
1   No

Name         |     Jul 27   |     Aug 3   |   Aug 10  |   Aug 17  |   Aug 24  | Aug 31    | FORUM
--------------+------------+------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-------
Sean           |        Y      |     N         |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     |  DLA
Brian           |        Y      |     Y         |    Y         |      N       |      N       |      Y     | DLA
taybrynn      |        Y      |     N        |    N         |      N       |      Y       |      Y     | DLA
javo             |        N     |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y      | DIYC
kmalsom      |        Y      |     Y        |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | DIYC
kevin           |        Y      |     Y        |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | LOR
T. Bennett    |        Y     |     Y         |    N        |     N        |      N       |      N     | LOR
greg.ca        |        Y     |     Y         |    Y        |     Y        |      Y        |      Y     | LOR
mms            |        N     |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      N       |      Y     | FALCON
pk                |        Y      |     Y        |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
dpitts            |       N      |    N         |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
kevin            |        Y     |     Y        |    Y        |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
rich               |        Y    |     Y         |    Y         |     Y        |      Y       |      Y     | FALCON
kiplorenzo     |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | LOR
dandameron  |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | FALCON
richard           |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | DLA
justtazz          |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | DLA
dandyman      |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | DLA
David/Renee   |       -      |     -          |    -         |     -        |      -        |      Y     | Falcon Christmas

We have people driving down from Fort Collins and up from Colorado springs.

Some suggestions for an agenda

Brian wrote:
- If enough people have the falcon16, perhaps David can talk about setup etc.
- Swap meet if people have stuff to sell or trade.
- Show and tell. I thought this was one of the best parts down in the COS as well as the recent academy in TX.
- setting up rgb / universes to work in LOR3
- how Sean ran show only using nutcracker
- Basics of using vixen 3. Someone in the metro used it exclusively, although I don't remember who.
mms wrote:
A demo of the Falcon Pi Player may be neat.
I'd like to see a demo of Vixen 3 and/or HLS.
Maybe a show and tell new show elements.
sean wrote:
- i will demonstrate how to share nutcracker sequences. ill bring 20 already done and share them
- will bring my 20x120 flex strips and set them up to demo xlights
Greg write:
- I have a lot of 5 meter WS2811 strips 12VDC still brand new in the bags not opened that I want to sell from Ray Wu.  They are just a few     weeks old. 
- I also would like to set up a 'swap meet' of Christmas light items that we all could buy/sell/trade. Bring all your unused or un-needed christmas light stuff and let's see if we can trade. 
-I'm currently needing 5V WS2811 strips as my requirements for my megatree changed in mid build.

What is everyone bringing?

I will bring my laptop and xlights
pi player => FPD => (2) Falcon-16 baords => 32 strings of lights
20x120 flex 1809 strips mounted to 1/2" metal emt. I will lay them out on the floor and make a grid display
Dave Pitts 7' Candle made out of coro
Coro Star, 60 nodes of rgb inside
Maybe, I will bring my 9' (really 8' 10") Nutcracker
My 12' spider for Halloween

sean

Thanks all

sean