I Thought Has To Why?

DSE

With the new pixels (dumb and smart) is there a issue with using or building your own power supply using diodes and resisters from standard house hold current (110vac)?

Is there a issue with the wave format of the power? Sign? Square? :blink:

Any thoughts? :huh:

There is no issue as long as it is done properly.  Remember that using resistors in there will cause voltage drops as you add LEDs.  Also, a home built supply as you mention gives very little surge protection.  You can probably get reasonable regulation with a off-the-shelf regulator like a 7812, but, this is for very low current so you would have to build a lot of them.  For the money, there are a lot of power supplies available for a reasonable price.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis

Edited by Takoda

There is no issue as long as it is done properly.  Remember that using resistors in there will cause voltage drops as you add LEDs.  Also, a home built supply as you mention gives very little surge protection.  You can probably get reasonable regulation with a off-the-shelf regulator like a 7812, but, this is for very low current so you would have to build a lot of them.  For the money, there are a lot of power supplies available for a reasonable price.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis

Excellent point

I guess my frustration comes from sourcing the power supplies and what ones are good or bad but as you said they are a lot cheaper then building up a board.

Any thoughts on who is a reputable supplier?

• 2 weeks later...