Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

An Unknown Jack-O-Lantern

Here's an unknown maker lighted 10" Jack-o-Lantern from the early 1960's that we have had for a few months now.  The lighting setup is different from most all we have seen before.  The light cord comes in through a hole in the green stem on top, the stem is removable for changing the bulb if necessary.  Nothing was known about this one until today when I received a CD I purchased of scans of vintage Halloween catalog pages from 1919 to 1971.  This Jack-O-Lantern is shown on page 93 of the 1964 A. C. McClung & Company catalog.

Mel

UnknownPumpkinGreenStemFront1077-01600.j

I found a bunch of vintage Christmas in someones trash, said free, and I found that stem. Can you take a picture of the underside of the stem?

Edited by PlasticCollector

Where did you get the information that the pumpkin was made by Sun Hill?  To my knowledge Sun Hill did not even make any blow mold holiday decorations until at least 25 years after this one was made.

If you can show us any information showing that Sun Hill made this one I am sure everyone would be happy to see it so we could correct our information on it.

Mel

I found a bunch of vintage Christmas in someones trash, said free, and I found that stem. Can you take a picture of the underside of the stem?

Here's a picture of the stem and the light setup.

Mel

ImportedPhotos00004800.jpg

Yes, and it is the same size as ours, I asked the seller about it.  If it was a different size I would be bidding on it.  I just won one that size that the light is battery operated.

Mel

Here is a quick picture of a smaller cousin to the unknown Jack-O-Lantern, I haven't had time to take a good picture of it yet.  It is 6 ½" tall and is battery lighted. Their green stems are identical with both of them having the hole in the base of the stem that the light cord goes through.  A 5" version of this Jack-O-Lantern is shown on page 90 of the 1962 Sally Distributors catalog.  They call it a "LITE-UP PUMPKIN".

Mel

ImportedPhotos00011800.jpg

Here's a 10" one on eBay that is battery lighted, the listing says that it is not lighted but in exchanging messages with the seller we found that it does have the battery light setup.  At the moment it is at a good price even considering the shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200955217489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mel

Ok, Today I was able to positively identify this one as being made by Tico Toys and I do think the other one was also made by them.

Mel

Here is a quick picture of a smaller cousin to the unknown Jack-O-Lantern, I haven't had time to take a good picture of it yet.  It is 6 ½" tall and is battery lighted. Their green stems are identical with both of them having the hole in the base of the stem that the light cord goes through.  A 5" version of this Jack-O-Lantern is shown on page 90 of the 1962 Sally Distributors catalog.  They call it a "LITE-UP PUMPKIN".

Mel

The three battery operated Jack-O-Lanterns in this picture all have identical green stems and the battery/light bulb holders are also identical.  At this time I do think that all three were made by Tico Toys.  The one on the left is definitely a Tico Toys one.  The plastic bales are also identical other than their lengths.

Mel

Yep the original maker was tico...they did it in several versions...one with the green stem...one with the green stem as battery holder for light, one cut out with handle and several size variations...Someone copied the mold again maybe 7-8 years ago because the Spirit Halloween stores had that same exact mold but sold it as candy pail with top cut out and plastic handle more in line with today's style candy pails..

Almost forgot I actualy have one that still has the original Tico sales tag on the handle...was cool to see the price listed ...can't remember exact amount but it was pretty cheap...under 50 cents..I think..

I have one like in message 16 and 19 on the way to me now that has the original Tico Toys tag on it, that is how I was able to confirm that one.  Which one do you have with the Tico tag, the same one or a different one?

Mel

I believe its the version on the far right of the three pictured in post #20...but I'll have to double check..pretty sure it has the green stem and handle for sure since the tag is on the handle.

I hope that is the one, that way we would have two different ones definitely confirmed as being made by Tico Toys.  The first one pictured in this thread is shown in the 1964 A. C. McClurg & Co. catalog.  On that page they have a "Fluorescent Light-Up Pumpkin Asst"  display with 4", 5" & 7" battery lighted pumpkins along with 6" and 10" Light-Up Pumpkins.  Shown also are the same  pumpkins along with a 16" one that are non-lighted.  I would think that they all are Tico's but I have no way of confirming that at this time  They only show the first one in this thread with an electrical cord.

Mel