The Characters I Made For Crazy Techs Awesome Display

John recommended one type of clearcoat and for the first while rolling it on might be better, I had elected to try a spray on clear coat made for outdoors, I am better with a spray can and want to control how it goes on.

I am planning to coat the black outline first and after it dries, spray the rest of the piece.  I have some other wood cutouts that go up during the summer and I clear coated them this way and it worked well.

You ended up getting a spray clear coat let me know which brand and how it works Im curious. Maybe it might be a more economic way of doing them. But the clear I recommended doesn't yellow are you sure the one your using wont yellow over years anyway Im not whining.there has just been a few people that ask me prices and think that what Im charging is expensive and the reason i post about some of the stuff that goes into these is because I want people to understand that it takes a lot of work to make these that's all but I did whine about the 2 footers that i will admit lol they were tough lol

You ended up getting a spray clear coat let me know which brand and how it works Im curious. Maybe it might be a more economic way of doing them. But the clear I recommended doesn't yellow are you sure the one your using wont yellow over years anyway Im not whining.there has just been a few people that ask me prices and think that what Im charging is expensive and the reason i post about some of the stuff that goes into these is because I want people to understand that it takes a lot of work to make these that's all but I did whine about the 2 footers that i will admit lol they were tough lol

***Sigh*** see what I mean he is whining again! :P

Ok, from my point of view as a customer, let me state the following for the record.

1. John clearly uses thicker wood then many I have seen and it appears to be very free of knots, etc..

2. The paint job is awesome and as he states is multi-coat

3. Hand-Crafted - does this ring a bell for those who might think his prices expensive?  Try a craft fair - or better yet, how much is your time worth when you build an item for your display?

4. You Get What You Pay For - if John had not delived the level of quality he talked of I WOULD have posted that - the work is top notch

Finally, as with all things lights, be it LED, blow molds, etc.. we all have price points we can and cannot afford, these are hand-crafted, so they are more expensive than a big box reflective one or something made from quick rusting metal, so it all depends upon what you are seeking.

I suggest checking out the quality of an item you may have seen and then compare to the 1/2 to 3/4 inch wood John uses and the types of paint as well.

For me and I think anyone else who has some of his work, it is worth the price - oh yeah, he does not charge extra for the whining - :)   Just wait and see he will be responding to this post in no time denying he whines, don't believe him, still worth it for what he produces.

***Sigh*** see what I mean he is whining again! :P

Ok, from my point of view as a customer, let me state the following for the record.

1. John clearly uses thicker wood then many I have seen and it appears to be very free of knots, etc..

2. The paint job is awesome and as he states is multi-coat

3. Hand-Crafted - does this ring a bell for those who might think his prices expensive?  Try a craft fair - or better yet, how much is your time worth when you build an item for your display?

4. You Get What You Pay For - if John had not delived the level of quality he talked of I WOULD have posted that - the work is top notch

Finally, as with all things lights, be it LED, blow molds, etc.. we all have price points we can and cannot afford, these are hand-crafted, so they are more expensive than a big box reflective one or something made from quick rusting metal, so it all depends upon what you are seeking.

I suggest checking out the quality of an item you may have seen and then compare to the 1/2 to 3/4 inch wood John uses and the types of paint as well.

For me and I think anyone else who has some of his work, it is worth the price - oh yeah, he does not charge extra for the whining - :)   Just wait and see he will be responding to this post in no time denying he whines, don't believe him, still worth it for what he produces.

Nope not me no whining here lolol but tyvm for the kind words and I have to say he was very generous also its been a pleasure working with Wayne he is a great person lol There is that better it was wonderful making those characters they were super easy and I loved every minute of it lolo

Nope not me no whining here lolol but tyvm for the kind words and I have to say he was very generous also its been a pleasure working with Wayne he is a great person lol There is that better it was wonderful making those characters they were super easy and I loved every minute of it lolo

MUCH better!  LOL - thanks again John

Thanks Rocco coming from you my harshest critic that means a lot Rocco is my brother and he bashes me if they don't look good so just know everyone i run all my characters I do past him and he wont hold any punches if he thinks they look like crap he tells me and his display is award winning and amazing so Im happy I have him to shoot me straight. This way you all get the best characters I can do because if he sees even a small mistake he points them out and I fix them love you brother...

Wow! They look great! You are doing amazing work. These will make a very nice display.

Hi Kate you know I always accredit you with all of my work if it wasnt for you and your wisdom in making these my work would never look as good as it does...So thank you how are you hows things and thanks for the praise it means a lot coming from you hun ...

Not sure if I missed it, but what clear coat do you use?

I really dont require clear-coat but recently i switched my lining marker and that requires clear-coat but as for my characters the color part doesn't because I use patio paints but you can use a spray clear coat like rustoleum painters touch just make sure you dont use a gloss it will reflect your lighting

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a water based paint marker the only thing about using it is you can only get one coat because going over and over it is too hard and it makes it look sloppy so you may have to go over it every year or so if it starts to ware off but other than that i love them but Crazy tech is going to clear these even though I use patio paint and it doesn't require clear but i do recommend it for keeping the lines crisp and looking new...

These look incredible!  What brand of marker? How many markers did you go through?  I use exterior paint, and it does not look near as crisp as these.

These look incredible!  What brand of marker? How many markers did you go through?  I use exterior paint, and it does not look near as crisp as these.

I use patio paint for all my Characters the marker i speak of is a sharpie water-based paint marker but that is only for the lining around the characters and that needs to be cleared because you are writing over the patio paint which will not allow it to absorb so you have to clear the lines...