Easy Arches

EWTalley

I have tried the wraping method and looked at doing the sleeve method. About 4-5 years ago I saw a new method that I have been using since 2010. I don't know what it is called, but I will try to explain and show what it is. This also puts most of the lights on the front of the arches and if a section fails just cut the zip ties for that section and replace, no need to remove any other section.

1. Take a string of lights and go back and forth making a string about 16" long, this can be a 50ct or 100ct string of lights, use zip ties to keep them in place. Make as many of these as the number of sections for your arches. 

2. Take your arch pole and make your arch, ( I use 3/4 grey PVC and attach a cable from one end to the other for  3' high arches).

3. Take the 16" long sections of lights and zip tie them to the arch starting in the middle and working to each end. The lights can be adjusted however you want them.

Picture # 1 is the strings of lights, I used 2-50ct strings for each section.

Picture # 2 is the arches in storage, the cable is wrapped around the arch.

Picture # 3 is the arch with a section of rebar holding the arch in place.

post-9379-0-67220300-1376681178_thumb.jp

post-9379-0-21519400-1376681202_thumb.jp

post-9379-0-26101700-1376681220_thumb.jp

Very nice Earl.  Like your approach with the lights.   May actually try that instead of using the Holiday Coro Baby Sidewalk Arches I bought a few years ago and been using.    Will probably also add some nice green garland to the PVC just to hide any exposed areas of PVC during daylight hours. Wouldn't be too noticeable at night, but I'd just prefer to put some nice garland over the PVC.

Will definitely remember this method, seems to be the simplest and easiest way to do larger arches.

Earle showed me these a couple years ago.  The best part is that they are easy to make and store away.  Like Earle said:  Use a steel cable between each end with a ring and spring clip so you can "un-arch" them for easier storage. Works great for me. Earle you rock !!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Earle showed me these a couple years ago.  The best part is that they are easy to make and store away.  Like Earle said:  Use a steel cable between each end with a ring and spring clip so you can "un-arch" them for easier storage. Works great for me. Earle you rock !!!

I would like to know more about the cable and ring setup. Maybe some pics. Thank you

• 1 month later...

Earle:  I have been doing long driveway arches for a couple of years now and they are a pain to store and maintain.  Even through  I can break them down into small sections they are still a lot of work. I am constantly repairing something and when the top of the arch is 10 ft in the air, it's quite a job just to find the problem.  This looks so much simpler.  Thank you for this suggestion.  By the way, would you be willing to sell your sequences for the arches?  They are amazing.

Snowman,the trees are made with 30" 1/2" pvc pipe, with a hole drilled thru each pipe at the top and wired, the bottom also was drilled and a length of #9 wire put thru the holes and the pipe evenly spaced, then wrapped with lights. Each tree has 3 colors of 3 70 count m5 light strings. Total lights for the tree 630 X 16 for all the trees is 10,080.

tomko, the length of the cable will depend on how much of an arch that you want and the length of your pvc pipe. My arch is 3' high and the pvc pipe is 10' long so what ever length of cable need for that. All of the hardware that I use can be purchased at your local Lowes or HD, but I buy mine from the flea market it's a lot cheaper.

Christmasjunkie, I don't sell any of my sequences, I will send you some just send me your email address in a PM.

Earle

Archived