Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Me2

Nice Blow Mold Lot In Edmonds, Wa

If you search

Outdoor Christmas decorations and lights - $75 (Edmonds)

on seattle craigslist, there's a lot that includes a couple of nice blow molds.

A 2 piece Santa train

2 reindeer in the box

A 3 piece nativity in the box

a bunch of miscellaneous non-blow mold stuff.

Anyway, if you're anywhere near, it's kind of a nice price. I thought about it, but it's a bit of a drive for me, and there's absolutely nothing in the lot that I'm really interested in.   

Me2, it's already sold I bought it at 4 o'clock today, It was a good haul for next years swap meet

Charlie

I'm glad you got it! 

Me2, it's already sold I bought it at 4 o'clock today, It was a good haul for next years swap meet

Charlie

So you're already tempting us to attend next years swap meet?  Guess I gotta start saving my wife's social security checks so that I will have something spend there....

Mel

Missed it. I was headed to the Seattle next week too...Need some blow molds for my first LOR show this year. I am in Kelso. If you see any more such ads in our area, feel free to PM me :)

Search Big Sale in Castle Rock on Seattle Craigslist. There are some terrific blow molds. I drooled over the Thanksgiving turkey, the cat coming out of the pumpkin,  and the sad faced clown snowman. But I'm not driving 2 hours each way for it. Also not sure on the pricing. It's an estate sale, Friday 23 and Sat the 24th.

Charlie E must've seen your tip. A Port Orchard gentleman beat me to the punch on these blow molds. It's tough on a rookie when your competing with retired blow mold hoarders :) Oh well, I did find some others on Ebay though. Got my first 12 blow molds (all Empire Toy Soldiers). It's a start.

Charlie probably saw the listing before it was posted here, he checks Craigslist often as several here do.  Also, Charlie does not hoard the blow molds, he picks out what he needs for his display and collection and either trades or sells the extras at fair prices.  At least that has been my experience with him in the transactions that we have had.

I do agree though that it can be difficult for a new rookie to get a good start at acquiring blow molds for their display.  I rarely find anything in our area and if it were not for people like Charlie, we would not have several of the blow molds that we have today.  As most here know, my wife and I are not rookies in collecting blow molds but we do still have a problem getting much without the help of others and eBay.

Mel

I agree with everyone, it's hard for a rookie to get started. I try to sell or trade my extra things for what it cost me to get them, I did see these on Craigslist but didn't need them so I left them for some who does. If I get some thing some one else wanted and it's extra I will always let them have it for what it cost me, it doesn't go on EBay. Just contact me and asks about the item. We all need to work together and help each other out, thing are hard enough to fined and way to expensive on EBay. This is why I decided to have the swap meet every year.

Charlie E.

I'm new, and very small potatoes as far as collecting and my display goes, and I'll vouch for that - the swap meet was terrific. I'm still absolutely thrilled with the items I traded for and bought. I had wanted one of those Empire stars for my nativity set for a long time, but they're hard to find and shipping is crazy. Thanks to the swap meet, I have one now, and it definitely didn't cost an arm and a leg. People were very nice - I joked with my spouse as we left that you sort of do expect Christmas people to be fairly nice. I think it would be hard to be terribly cut throat while looking at teddy bears and Santas.