How To With Photos

FireRockss

Hi,

I want to insert photos in my post and always forget how here. Tried clicking on my media but that just brings me to pics I already have up.

I don't want to upload 20 photos and then add in.That's just extra work

And I don't want to attach them.

Help please :)

Hate to tell you this, but these forums are not the safest place to put a how-to thread togheter anymore.  Storage is limited and many of the old threads that were so valuable form the late 2000's were lost.  My suggestion is to create your how-to and post it to your FaceBook page.  Include the link here and that way it will always be active and available thru what ever PC forum change.  Better yet, use your cell phone and make a video and link it to the thread.  Way easier!  I'm in the middle of several now.  Example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNwEUTsflog

PC can always delete your post but the content will remain intact

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this came thru to you.

Believe it or not, you don't need a $500 dollar flocking machine to do this kind of work.

After several failed attempts to flock snow on our craft business birdhouses, I invented one that only cost less than twenty dollars, and you can flock a live tree right in your living room without any mess beyond what falls straight to a drop cloth under the tree, nothing flying thru the air. Uses commercial flock. $35 a bag for 20 trees. Extremely durable snow.

I am not selling anything. What I'm telling you, you can buy at almost any local store, except the commercial flocking. I use Peak Seasons, but you can order it from any place you choose.

You must have a hand drill to power the machine, preferably a cordless.

SA400214-1-1.jpg(Ctrl/Cmd+V)

That's right! A simple tin flour sifter with the wooden handle cut off, and the rod thats left, straightened out.

The drill attaches to that rod.

A freezer bag (To hold flock) attached by large rubber band.

Use 'Mister" to wet area to be flocked.

IMG_0483-2.jpg(Ctrl/Cmd+V)

To flock pre-lit trees, I cover the small twinkle lights with a standard sized drinking straw cut in two inch lengths, and folded lengthwise. do your flocking, and then they can be removed at any time afterward.

These are Alpine trees we used with our Christmas birdhouses, and this is a close-up of the finished product.

IMG_0480-2.jpg(Ctrl/Cmd+V)

Of course we add glitter to make it look a bit like real snow in the Moonlight.

I would caution you to try this on something else beside what you want flocked the first time, because when you press the trigger on that drill, you are gonna get a bonafied snowstorm instantly!

For heavy, thick snow, inches deep, I'd put on in thin layers, letting each dry before adding the next, and wetting each thoroughly!

Good luck!

Would not recommend use outdoors. But was in contact with a commercial flock manufacturer out of Southern California who thought they would have a flocking product for outdoor use.

This was several years ago, but I never followed thru on it, as such decor would soon become quite dingy outdoors because of blowing dust.

I was incorrect about the brand of snow I was using. I use Purcell products, but Peak Seasons is the manufacturer that was working on the outdoor snow products........ I believe!

http://peakseasons.com/flockandflockmaterials.aspx

I would call, and ask to talk to the owner about it, and see if they were successful, and if it will fit your needs.

This year I'm going to use my simple flock machine to flock a live tree in our living room. No fear about blowing snow, as there won't be any.

As with the small twinkle lights I cover with the drinking straw sections, I will find something to use on the C7s during the actual flocking. Hope to keep the C7s from direct contact with the flocking, as I don't know about the heat they produce might discolor, but the flock is actually a fireproofing so no worry there.

I will be putting on many gold and silver balls, as well as about 60 twisted glass ice cycles we've collected from a fellow who makes glass blown decor. I will place the hooks for all of these on the branches before flocking, and attach a long piece of red yarn to each so I can find them afterward.

I will be putting on very thick snow, perhaps two inches worth in several layers, so I'll be a couple of days in the process. Last layer will get the glitter!

Will try to post some pictures of finished tree, including close-ups, and any tips I can think of when done.

I insist on the traditional glass ornaments (Absolutely no plastic), and I'm having a devil of a time finding a glass spire for the top of the tree.

Does anyone still make these?

• 2 months later...

Uh Oh,

Just had an order for two snow and ice cycle birdhouses, and one such matching wreath.

I know I have enough snow left to do those +, but it'd be real 'iffy' if I'll have enough left for the live tree afterward.

Hate to start one and run out. Do I want to order another bag of snow just now, or wait until next fall, and more birdhouses are on order?

Decision time!

Think I'll let the wife make the call.

This is an 7' Alpine tree (Artificial) without ornaments, and much thinner snow than I'd do on a live tree. We brought it up early for the bedroom. Hard to get a good picture when it's lit up tho.

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

• 10 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this topic for those who may have missed it.

It's been years since I've seen anybody with a flocked tree in their house at Christmas, and I for one would like to see them make a comeback.

As a kid, nothing captured my imagination, nor looked so much as Christmas should, as did a thickly flocked tree trimmed in gold, or silver, or even shiny blue glass ornaments.

The initial investment is probably less than you'd spend to have just one live tree commercially flocked, but once the few inexpensive parts are got, and a bag of commercial flock procured, you will have many, many years of easily flocked Christmas decorations and live flocked trees to enjoy. The snow last for years in a dry bag.

I hope some of you will give it a try.

I've nothing to sell myself, there are several companies selling good, commercial grade snow flock, and stores like Wal Mart and others sell the flour sifters and misters.

Good thing to look into for the kids to learn to do for neighbors as well. Just a drop cloth in one corner of the garage. They could make a bit of money!

Give it a go!

Just as an addition.

Flocking can be addicting!

As a waterfowl hunter, I just this last spring and summer got into flocking my duck decoys.

These two birds are almost entirely flocked, but for the legs, bills, and anything white. All the rest is flocked, and the transformation is almost magic.

These decoys really came to life when flocked. The greys, tans, green heads, browns, chestnuts, and coal blacks are all flocking.

The duck season where I live starts a week from today! These birds will be getting a real 'field test' starting then!

IMG_1031.jpg

Over the last few years the flocking has held up very well indeed.

One must take care to cover them in storage tho, as dust is always a concern. A large plastic bag for Prom dresses at dry cleaners works OK.

Constant exposure to direct Sunlight over several years could lead to discoloration, but I'm talking 365 days a year, for years!

I have a friend who could not bear to put them away at all, and displays them in front of a window for the last three years straight.

Just this summer the direct heat thru the window started to yellow them. A tiny fresh up will see them good for another three years I'm sure!

$2 worth of flock should do the job complete. Cover those lights as at first tho!

Wow the flocking look is incredible on those trees.  I have always loved the look but tend to shy away from due to the mess it makes. How does one store the trees after the season?  Do you put them in a plastic bag?

If the trees are not outright damaged in storage, a simple freshen up on them is very simple if they should become dingy.

Remember to cover the lights (twinkle) with the drinking straws as described, then spray the existing snow with a light coat of water with the mister, add the new snow, mist again lightly, and add a bit of glitter.

The snow will only get deeper, and to me, will look better with each layer added!

Or............there's always this......at $999. Plus a large, easily cleaned room to boot!

http://peakseasons.com/mightysno-blower.aspx

Of course you could be the proud owner of a high volumn flock machine at $1,950

http://peakseasons.com/m-300highvolumeflockmachinewcadblower.aspx

I guess I like mine at $20 plus flock at $25.99~~~~~~ plus shipping

keep it coming Fsbirdhouse. I lvoe reading this thread. We use a live flocked tree every year and get amazing feedback about how much our tree stands out. Especially when it was done as Blue Lighting, and another time as Red/White... the Flock was on a live tree that we recycle. but still I love your work. 

You bet Sidetrack!

Hoping to post a picture of our live tree this year.

Won't settle for snow less than two inches thick on it........maybe more!

Tasteful amounts of glitter, Real clear glass ice cycles. Real Gold and or Silver balls. and a glass Spire tree topper.

• 2 weeks later...

You bet Sidetrack!

Hoping to post a picture of our live tree this year.

Won't settle for snow less than two inches thick on it........maybe more!

Tasteful amounts of glitter, Real clear glass ice cycles. Real Gold and or Silver balls. and a glass Spire tree topper.

My cats would make quite a mess with that I think!  ;)

TED

• 1 month later...

Uh Oh!

I think my plans for a flocked tree this year may have to be put on hold for one more year.

Just got a veto from the wife 'cause my son, his 4 year old daughter, and their Miniature Schnauzer are coming to live with us for several months.

She's thinking the flocking will soon be a mess with the four year old. She was born with her eyes on the tips of her fingers (If you know what I mean?)

Oh well,

Someday before I die........

Archived