Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Christmasjunkie

I'm Finally Started--Advice If You're Having Trouble Getting Motivated

In January, I decided I wouldn't do a show this year.  After first thinking I would take the year off and thinking I would have no time to decorate this year, I suddenly got motivated.  In August, I asked my wife for a new Ramsey 30b transmitter for my birthday present.  I got it this week and tried it out.  WOW!  Today, the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, I went outside, laid out some things to work with, and got started. It's really hot here today and I was soon working up a sweat but it didn't seem to matter.  I started working on my theme lights for this year, walking around the yard to decide where to put it, measuring things, looking in boxes, and suddenly I was off and running.  I'm hooked now!  Tomorrow (Labor Day) the icicle lights for  the roof go up!  HERE WE GO FOR ANOTHER YEAR.  Having trouble getting motivated?  Just get out there, do something, and the bug will bite again.

I can't believe how fast this year is going.  I'm spending the holiday weekend working on new frames for around the windows. As Christmasjunkie said, here we go!

Started working on my mega tree (if under 12 feet is it still a mega tree?) lights, each string it taking 30 minutes X 64 is 32 hours!!!!!

Oh boy I should have started earlier.

I was building away on new stuff up until last Thursday - torn rotator cuff from years ago let go in Jan. they turned me into the Thanksgiving turkey and carved away,  I am offline for at least a month. :unsure:

Can't build, but I CAN work on my sequences - will end up with a smaller expansion then planned, but let the fun begin!

Started working on my mega tree (if under 12 feet is it still a mega tree?) lights, each string it taking 30 minutes X 64 is 32 hours!!!!!

Oh boy I should have started earlier.

But Paul,

Your 1 Channel sequence will look spectacular!

:P

Lee

It doesn't matter the size of your show.  I haven't had a lot of time the past few months to get a lot off the off-season list done but I've still accomplished some.  Just take one item that needs to be done and finish that, then move on to your next element you need to work on.  Don't look at the entire list of stuff to finish because you'll never get motivated to get it all done.  Little baby steps and before you know it the show will be on.

You can get away with hanging lights on the house this time of the year ...after all some people never take them down!

Now if someone can just explain, why it seems those people put up the cheap lights and never take them down, but they don't have any problems with them when the holiday comes around, while the rest of us use so called "better lights", take them down and store them with care, and yet.... when the time comes the freakin things will always have an issue in the worst part of your display.

No justice in the world of lights. :P

Now if someone can just explain, why it seems those people put up the cheap lights and never take them down, but they don't have any problems with them when the holiday comes around, while the rest of us use so called "better lights", take them down and store them with care, and yet.... when the time comes the freakin things will always have an issue in the worst part of your display.

No justice in the world of lights. :P

+1

Got started putting lights on the bushes last weekend - Got them on the fence this weekend - I have been working on my Tomb project since July - finished that last weekend - I'll start on the house lights this coming weekend and go from there - i am still mowing so nothing goes on the ground until Nov 1st.  Got a new house and I have not got all the electrical I need so I am limited this year - i have a three year plan to get everything I want on my display.

Wow, you guys get started crazy early.

I'd love to do a show this year but it's not going to happen. Just a few lights on the bushes again. :(

I know - alot of us are crazy - some of the neighbors in my new neighborhood have been looking at me funny - I haven't put up a light outside since 2010.  i have to do it this year - there is a little girl over where i used to live that was diagnoised with brian cancer a year ago - she has gone through a lot of pain - she told her mother one thing she misses most of all is Mr. Glenn's Christmas lights.  There is no way I am not putting lights up this year for that child.  Matter of fact I just got home from work and need to get on out in the yard and work on my PVC Window frames.  See you guys later. :)

Awwwww. Good on ya.

I'm sure that many of you guys' displays take months to setup as well. I just can't fathom taking it all down to put back up a couple months later. :)

Awwwww. Good on ya.

I'm sure that many of you guys' displays take months to setup as well. I just can't fathom taking it all down to put back up a couple months later. :)

Ran the idea of leaving some up past the wife one year and almost got slapped :P

It may be crazy but as soon as im done wiring my last couple controllers I will be laying out the cords and hanging lights....every year I seem to add more but there is never more set up time.  So I guess we will have to deal with long grass where the cords are laying if it decides to grow more this year

There is nothing crazy about getting started early - I always want to make it a joyable affair and not be outside at the last minute till midnight on Thanksgiving eve getting lights up and being stressed - beside if I run short of lights and can get Paul to get them to me in time.  Bill, I told my wife what you said about leaving some up all year and what your wife said about it - well she agreed with your wife - that ain't gonna happen around here either. 

I do have a question  for you guys - at my old house, the roof was not steep at all - I could run all over it and never feel like I was gonna fall off - the roof on my new house is pretty steep but not impossible to work on.  I will be putting blue lights across the entire front of the roof every 30 inches - this will require me moving around alot - I was told by a roofer to get two 2 x 2 foot squares of rubber foam about 3 inches thick to set on and move around on the roof - I also thought about tying a rope around me with plenty of slack and attaching it to my truck hitch and put it in the back yard so if I slip forward the rope will stop me.  Is this all insane or is there a better way - I am not going to hire it done!

Any attempts at safety aren't insane. That being said, there's a right way and a wrong way. Consider buying a roofers harness rather tying a rope around you. They usually come with a coiled bungee designed to brake the initial force should you fall and the harness will ensure you don't snap your back.

Also, consider tying off to something more permanent that a truck hitch, like a tree. The force of a 200lb person falling 20+ft is enormously larger than the static load a hitch puts up with.

Edited by beefy

Ran the idea of leaving some up past the wife one year and almost got slapped :P

I had the same thought and asked my wife as well - she said if I wanted to live in a trailer park she would help me pack for the move!

Needless to say I take the lights down each year - after all another Christmas light fan - better known as Greg Z. from CA summed it up best with this saying - " I put up the lights and she puts up with the lights "  :ph34r:

There is nothing crazy about getting started early - I always want to make it a joyable affair and not be outside at the last minute till midnight on Thanksgiving eve getting lights up and being stressed - beside if I run short of lights and can get Paul to get them to me in time.  Bill, I told my wife what you said about leaving some up all year and what your wife said about it - well she agreed with your wife - that ain't gonna happen around here either. 

I do have a question  for you guys - at my old house, the roof was not steep at all - I could run all over it and never feel like I was gonna fall off - the roof on my new house is pretty steep but not impossible to work on.  I will be putting blue lights across the entire front of the roof every 30 inches - this will require me moving around alot - I was told by a roofer to get two 2 x 2 foot squares of rubber foam about 3 inches thick to set on and move around on the roof - I also thought about tying a rope around me with plenty of slack and attaching it to my truck hitch and put it in the back yard so if I slip forward the rope will stop me.  Is this all insane or is there a better way - I am not going to hire it done!

And the last words he shouted out were " Ho, Ho, Hoooooooo" splat! 

Really, have you never seen The Santa Claus and what happens on the roof with not safety gear?

Please be safe, not sorry - get the right gear and stay safe - :P