How Do I Extend My Christmas Lights A Few Feet?

Hey everyone!

I have built pvc frames for my windows to easily put up and take down lights every year.  My light strand is not long enough to go all the way around.  I did not want to double up lights anywhere and thought the best solution would be to extend my lights a few feet.

When I spliced the 2 strings together, everything worked perfect.  As soon as I chopped off the excess of my new string, everything stopped working.  I have no idea what to do with the 3 wires at the end of the strand.

This is the image of me connecting the 2 light strands:  http://i.imgur.com/1ba7P3r.jpg

This image is showing the end of the light strand that I cut and caused everything to stop working:  http://i.imgur.com/UktgCkO.jpg

After I get this working, my idea was to combine the strings vertically to get the sections in the middle done: http://i.imgur.com/hXLFGlh.jpg  Will this work?

I have everything exposed because of 'testing' and fully plan of having everything capped off and wrapped with electrical tape.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ryan

Edited by Fikal

You can't cut at the three wires.  You can only cut at the two wire. 

The lights are wired in a series.  Most common is 50.  These bulbs are typically rated at about 2.5 volts.  You need ALL 50 to be able to run 110V through them.  While you could wire it back together to work, you will quickly burn out the bulbs as they will be overpowered.  Otherwise, you will have to wire in a resistance to make up for the missing bulbs.

While you could splice another string to your center bar, to me, it would be more trouble than it is worth.  Start with the center bar.  Then go around the outside and end at the center bar.  No, your plug will not be in the lower corner, but that is what SPT wire is for.  Use a longer string(s) than you need and gather the slack between the lights.

As stated they are wired in a series and cutting them will make them burn out ASAP. If you can find a set of 50 that is split at the 25 count point you could use just half a set, most of these are 3.5 volt. I would look at rewiring the unit to use up the extra lights. Of course if you understand how they work you could place a resister in series with the lights but you will need to know how many lights you are cutting off and then find a resister equal to them. Main thing is you have to use up the voltage to keep the others from burning out.