Looking For "special" Led Icicle Lights

I'm pretty new to the "big Christmas displays" and am always looking for new ideas and things to try, so this past Christmas I was driving around looking at lights and ran across two or three houses that had LED icicle lights, however they seemed to be "special LED bulbs" in that they had a long range, direct light cast. What I mean by this is that the eves of the house and garage doors (nearly all the way down to the ground) had round circles of colors all over the doors from the icicle lights. The circles got larger the closer they got to the ground which is what leads me to believe that these were indeed from the icicle lights and not some laser system. Also, one house had just these icicle lights and nothing else, with two feet of snow in their yard, I further eliminated the thought of some ground based device providing the cast on the garage door. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me at the time. When I went back to get a picture, they had taken the lights down so I do not have a picture to show here. Does anyone have any ideas as to what these lights might be? where I can find them, etc? I've found some wide angle LED icicle lights on various vendor sites, but no site shows pictures of these lights in use, only the bulbs themselves, so I'm not sure that's what I am after.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Probably cheap "dome" 5mm LEds ,which are similar in looks to the "wide angle,conical" 5mm LEDs but they cast a bright,almost flashlight beam out the top of the LED vs the wide angle style that breaks up the directional aspect of the light.Used to be very common before the wide angle led almost completely replaced them,but can still be found at bigbox stores selling on price-many did not like them,especially when used indoors do to this effect

Edited by merrymidget
  • 1 month later...

Please forgive, I know the last post was back in September but I am new to the forums. I actually think I have 2 sets of these lights. Not the icicle but they are multi-color flat (not concave, or dome) and when shone on the ground from my roof top they actually make very visible circles (very defined too). This is the reason I was in these forums. I am wanting to find more of these. but I have not found a brand or a way to really describe or categorize them. I will be glad to post pictures if it will help. These are absolutely unique compared to anything else I have seen. I use them for backyard parties, and Christmas time. I don't even remember where I got them.. but anyone can read this thread, and the first post by bigchair85, and my addition then describe them ( a label that I can actually search on) please let me know.. I will post pictures if asked or if I am allowed..

• 2 weeks later...

Probably cheap "dome" 5mm LEds ,which are similar in looks to the "wide angle,conical" 5mm LEDs but they cast a bright,almost flashlight beam out the top of the LED vs the wide angle style that breaks up the directional aspect of the light.Used to be very common before the wide angle led almost completely replaced them,but can still be found at bigbox stores selling on price-many did not like them,especially when used indoors do to this effect

see above.....common "dome" LEDs, NOT the Wide angle/conical type. Try the house brands at HD

TY to both merrymidget and hotrod1965. I am going to look this weekend at the ones they have at HD. I want to find duplicates of the same kind of light. I got more compliments from those few sets of lights than any other single component of my seen.. and I can focus them to make it like a spot light of sorts.. just being creative.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Thank you specifically to Merrymidget and Especially to Hotrod1965. With their help, found the exact lights I was looking for and yes.. they were at HD. 

Here is the link to them. LED Multi-color Dome , they also come in warm white, green, red and blue solid colors.. 

I bought 4 of them tonight and wanted to pick up quite a bit more but couldn't. Hope I can find them later when am looking for them.. Definitely gonna keep the box this time.. Why is it that you finally find a light set you light then no one carries it the next year.... Grr....