Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
nutz4lights

Free Or Really Cheap Stuff...

I was cleaning out my closet today and came across some stuff that I don't want anymore... figured I would throw it up here to see if there was interest....

1.  2-channel fading adapter made by Up North Lighting... 300W per channel, 600W total.

2.  2-channel fading controller sold by Novelty Lights... 0.2A/channel

3.  4-channel fading controller sold by Novelty Lights... 0.8A/channel (not sure for the discrepancy between these two)

I have attached a picture of the three of these, let me know if there are any questions.

Price?  If this is something that you MUST have, then offer me something... if I get 10 people that say "FREEEE" and nobody offers me a penny, one of those 10 people will get these for free... however, if someone offers me $3 each and 10 people offer me zero, obviously I am going to take the $3   ;)

4.  I have a whole bin of SPT extension cords that I made with vampire plugs.  Some are green, some are brown... some of the plugs are green, some are black... either way, they all do the same thing... move electricity for very low cost per foot...  I don't know how many feet are in there, but I know it weighs 25 pounds and I'm pretty sure it is 18AWG cable and there are two conductors.  I found a chart on the internet that says 18 gauge cable weighs 5 pounds per 1000 feet.  Assuming the plastic is 20% of the weight of the cable, that means there's most likely around 2000 feet of cable there (1000 feet x 5 pounds per foot x 2 conductors would be 10 pounds and I'm assuming there's 20 pounds of copper in the 25 pounds in the box).

Price?  If this is something that you MUST have, then offer me something... if I get 10 people that say "FREEEE" and nobody offers me a penny, one of those 10 people will get it for free... however, if someone offers me $20 and 10 people offer me zero, obviously I am going to take the $20   ;)    In my experience, shipping 25 pounds will cost somewhere between $25 and $40 depending on where you are in the country.

Thanks for looking.

-Louie

post-1368-0-09576200-1379188868_thumb.jp

Hi I was wondering if ur Vampire cords are avail? just our of curiosity are they all different lengths or did u make them all the same length. I would like to make an offer. Do I do that by replying or am i supposed to send a PM? like the person above me :) and if so, Im not sure how to send u a PM :) sorry NEWBIE here! 

For those that aren't used to sending PM, click on my username and click 'send message'.  I was not clear enough about the SPT / vampire cords... they are all kinds of random lengths.

Additionally, someone asked for more detail about the SPT cable used in the SPT extension cords... I went back through my purchases and it looks like I purchased a 1000 foot spool of Paul Sessel's SPT-1 cord for $120 (has the UV inhibitor in it) and then another SPT-1 1000 foot spool from Skycraft for $80.  So there's a pretty good chance that the cord is SPT-1  ;)   AND EXPENSIVE.  I didn't remember cord costing so much, but I guess it does... I guess I will be looking for some offers on these after all...

Edited by nutz4lights