Blow Mold Back At Walmart

I read that Walmart was having issues with their Chinese suppliers in like 2012, and they wanted to start carrying more U.S. products. Perhaps they start carrying more General Foam in upcoming seasons, I'm super excited because I remember they always had the best prices on blowmolds. :D

I read that Walmart was having issues with their Chinese suppliers in like 2012, and they wanted to start carrying more U.S. products. Perhaps they start carrying more General Foam in upcoming seasons, I'm super excited because I remember they always had the best prices on blowmolds. :D

They have it on their site that by 2015 they would be carrying more American made things. I was hoping blow molds would be one of those items.

Remember when their slogan was "Made in the USA" ?

Remember when their slogan was "Made in the USA" ?

As I recall, it was Walmart that started the whole made in China bit, even to the point of wanting to take Union Products steel molds to China years ago.  Don Featherstone refused to agree to that kind of a contract, that is why Walmart never carried a Union Products blow mold.

Mel

They have it on their site that by 2015 they would be carrying more American made things. I was hoping blow molds would be one of those items.

I hope so! I really look forward to a revitalized blow mold industry in the coming years. I think with more and more interests in "retro" things now-days, the blowmold market can definately pick up. :)

As I recall, it was Walmart that started the whole made in China bit, even to the point of wanting to take Union Products steel molds to China years ago. Don Featherstone refused to agree to that kind of a contract, that is why Walmart never carried a Union Products blow mold.

Mel

Always great info Mel! If it wasn't for Featherstone, blowmolds would probably be made in China like everything else. Good thing there not, imagine the quality then! :/

As I recall, it was Walmart that started the whole made in China bit, even to the point of wanting to take Union Products steel molds to China years ago.  Don Featherstone refused to agree to that kind of a contract, that is why Walmart never carried a Union Products blow mold.

Mel

Very interesting!  What brands did Walmart carry?  I was really too young to pay attention back then...

We didn't have a Walmart in our area until 1999 and they carried General Foam and a few Empire that year.  In subsequent years they carried GenFoam and Grand Venture.  In 2003 they cut way back on the Grand Venture and if I recall correctly GV told me that Walmart only ordered their small lamb that year.  In 2004 they carried TPI and a few GenFoam and that was the last year they had blow molds here.

Mel

I don't miss the Walmart days, the plastic has improved greatly since Walmart stopped selling molds. I have a pumpkin mold from the Walmart years with the thinnest plastic ever. Sure, they had the cheapest price, but they also had the cheapest, thinnest plastic. Just my experience and opinion. 

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity I went to WalMart today and checked out the Nativity.  Did you notice in the picture at the top of this thread that the box says "Holiday Time" for the company name?  I checked the box over and there is no manufacturers name on the box, only shows WalMart as the distributor.  It does have the catalog #M-C3680 on the box though and that is a General Foam number for the WalMart items.  The Nativity set is the GenFoam #C3680 one.

Mel

Home Depot is selling Blowmolds as well (Noel Candles, Frosty w Blue Scarf, and Preening pointy hat Santa)  expensive ($40) but nice to see them back.

Unions molds apparently have been bought by Cado Inc.  The actual Union factory in Leominster, MA has been bought by a private owner who has excavated all of the industrial equipment and sells the remaining figures at local flea markets.

At the moment the only confirmed WalMart stores that have the Nativity are about 3000 miles apart, in Maryland and Northwest Washington state, maybe I should buy up the three or four that are in the local store and put them on eBay at $200 each and list them as extremely rare, of course I would have to get another $99.99 for shipping.

Mel

At the moment the only confirmed WalMart stores that have the Nativity are about 3000 miles apart, in Maryland and Northwest Washington state, maybe I should buy up the three or four that are in the local store and put them on eBay at $200 each and list them as extremely rare, of course I would have to get another $99.99 for shipping.

Mel

Lol!!

I heard a PA store also had them. I didn't expect them to be in Florida.