Ground Stakes Or "u-Bars?"

Hey Christmas friends!

I'm looking for metal ground stakes or "u-bars" for my display (the ones that look like giant, round staples...like croquet bars).

Essentially I need some kind of metal material I can pound into the ground to hold the ends of Christmas lights that are part of my Megatree.

Since my Mega-Tree is only a half-tree and is against a building pillar, I need stakes to keep them at the correct angles in the grass.

Thanks!

JHolmes, I use 1/2' or 5/8' rebar 18'-24' long depending on the type of soil. At one end of the rebar I drill a 1/4' hole and place a 1/4' round steel rod 3" long in the hole, then spot weld it. The picture will show the steel rod in the upper left corner. Drive these at an angle and they will hole just about anything.

post-9379-0-89244600-1380330266_thumb.jp

We tried tent stakes last year for 23' strings angled from the chimney to the ground (poor man's mini tree.)  :P

With the relatively warm winter and aeration a month earlier, the ground was a bit soft so the stakes pulled out with strong wind. Also tried 3/8" wood dowels but they kept breaking.

For holding multiple extension cords to the ground, we use 2 or 3" U-bolts.  They're galvanized so rust isn't an issue.  But they're not cheap!

I use the 3/8 rebar. I buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. It bends very easily if you want the U shape. Cost is only about .35c per foot if you get the 10' piece and cut it to length. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12138-157-05370_0__?storeNumber=0061&Ntt=rebar&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4017131713%5D&pl=1&productId=3010011&ipTrail=67.160.32.17&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drebar

Lee

I use the 3/8 rebar. I buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. It bends very easily if you want the U shape. Cost is only about .35c per foot if you get the 10' piece and cut it to length. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12138-157-05370_0__?storeNumber=0061&Ntt=rebar&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4017131713%5D&pl=1&productId=3010011&ipTrail=67.160.32.17&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drebar

Lee

thats what i use and they work perfect....you can even hammer them in the ground if its frozen...

• 4 weeks later...