Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TED

Check Out This New Pumpkin Pail!

I was in Target and I noticed that they are selling some new pumpkin pails that are huge!  They are made by Gen Foam.  The plastic is nice and thick.  They have them in both orange and black.  The picture shows a standard 10 inch Gen Foam pail on the left so that you can see how big the new one is.  I do not see these pictured in the 2013 Gen Foam catalog but the name is on the bottom of the pail.  Is this a new item this year?  I can't remember ever seeing these before.  The price is $6.00!  (Now why is it that these large pails are only $6 but a 22 inch pumpkin is $25?)

TED

post-294-0-64664400-1382421737_thumb.jpg

Edited by TED

Ted,  Target had the orange one last year, the black one is new this year, and you are right, they are not in the General Foam 2012 or 2013 catalogs.  They appear to be Target exclusives.

Mel

Yep..the orange ones debuted last year as Target Exclusive and this year that added the black and green version...Last year it seemed each Target only stocked a few so since they were so big so they were not easy to track down..and maybe they were seeing how well they sold..but this year..at least at around 6-7 targets in my area they seemed to stock a lot more than last year...

I agree on several of your points...the quality is top notch..super thick and nice paint quality..and the 6 bucks is truly the best deal on that size of a pumpkin I've seen...its definitely a keeper and something that might be a collector item down the road if they decide to not run them for many years as General foam apparently did them for Target only...

To me its the best looking new pail that has been done by anyone in at least the last 15 years..just not that many of the larger sizes do you see anymore...I was really surprised last year when I first saw it..I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming...then I was surprised to see that General Foam was maker based on the price and higher quality...which tells me if there is a retailer willing to place a large enough order or pay the price I guess General Foam will pretty much produced whatever you want...I would think that since its a Target Exclusive that General Foam really doesn't own the design or mold....maybe they are just running it...Mel would be better source of info on this one...plus General foam is very guarded and its not like they will tell you any info if you ask them unless you know someone in the company on the inside.

Edited by Roadrunner000

go to party store and pick up plastic top hat put on top of pail ad a lite kit and you have your own 'exclusive' mold oops not exclusive any more sense I shared the secret have fun all ha ha

I'm going to do the same thing this year...we get a lot of trick or treaters all at once it seems so will be better than running in and out of door to get more...this way I can fill that sucker up and just grab a handful for each..

go to party store and pick up plastic top hat put on top of pail ad a lite kit and you have your own 'exclusive' mold oops not exclusive any more sense I shared the secret have fun all ha ha

That's just what I was thinking!  How about stacking a few and making a giant pumpkin totem!??

TED

Ted,  Target had the orange one last year, the black one is new this year, and you are right, they are not in the General Foam 2012 or 2013 catalogs.  They appear to be Target exclusives.

Mel

Once again I'm behind on the action!  I sure didn't see them last year but I'm not sure that I made it to Target while the Halloween stuff was out.

TED

Yep..the orange ones debuted last year as Target Exclusive and this year that added the black and green version...Last year it seemed each Target only stocked a few so since they were so big so they were not easy to track down..and maybe they were seeing how well they sold..but this year..at least at around 6-7 targets in my area they seemed to stock a lot more than last year...

I agree on several of your points...the quality is top notch..super thick and nice paint quality..and the 6 bucks is truly the best deal on that size of a pumpkin I've seen...its definitely a keeper and something that might be a collector item down the road if they decide to not run them for many years as General foam apparently did them for Target only...

The first time I read your post I thought you meant that they had black ones and green ones.  I was excited until I read your post again and figured out what you meant.  There were quite a few of both colors at the Target store I was in.

TED

That's just what I was thinking!  How about stacking a few and making a giant pumpkin totem!??

TED

Seek and ye shall find:  I did this last month:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k376/soutly/TargetPumpkintotem_zps5d73b651.jpg

I had been thinking about doing this since last year, but I only had one big pail.  This year I bought five more.  I wanted to go six high, but it was too unstable.  Here's a night shot:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k376/soutly/Targetpumpkintotemnight_zpsf6ce6221.jpg

My wife had the idea of having candy spilling out of the top, so I used some old Tootsie Roll Pop mini light covers.  It's under cover so doesn't need drainage.  The pails are held together with wire strung through carefully drilled pairs of holes.  There are two bricks in the bottom pail for stability, with a suitable door cut to remove and place them.  A 1and 1/8" hole was drilled in the center back of each pail, and a skinny candelabra base 25W bulb used for illumination.  I'm happy with the results.  The uneven look of the pails is semi-intentional;  I was trying to imitate an old pumpkin stack inflatible I had until the deer damaged it beyond repair.

Sorry I couldn't get pictures to post;  I hope the links are sufficient.

Edited by hoyt clagwell

Nice! I really like those. Pretty cool this is a Target exclusive. Makes me hopeful for new General Foam products. Target is one of my favorite stores.

There are pictures of both new designs in messages 3, 7 & 18 in this thread.

We added both designs in orange, green, pink, blue and purple to our collection, we had to check four WalMart's to find all of the colors for each design.  I do wonder if they were made in any other color.

Mel