Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
55cgas

Lamp Post Identification

Can anyone ID these lamp posts? I got them very cheap from am estate sale and there aren't any markings on them. Thanks, Mike

null_zpsc2b7cdfe.jpg

The lamp posts are NOMA's 48" catalog #313 "Decorated Lamp Post" and were sold by NOMA in 1968 but I do wonder if at least the tops were not repainted, all their lamp posts I have seen or seen pictures of, the tops are white with red trim.

http://blow-molded.com/NOMA___Archive.html

Mel

The lamp posts are NOMA's 48" catalog #313 "Decorated Lamp Post" and were sold by NOMA in 1968 but I do wonder if at least the tops were not repainted, all their lamp posts I have seen or seen pictures of, the tops are white with red trim.

Mel

Excelent Mel, thank you!! The tops on mine were definately not repainted, they are red plastic. But I think I may paint the tops white in the middle as they are in the catalog.  Thanks,Mike

Personally, if they were mine and if the tops are made of red plastic, I would leave them red, any light that might show through the top would still have the red tinges to it.  The top of ours and others I have seen were made with white plastic.  But then, I am known as a purist in the blow mold world wanting to keep the older blow molds in their original condition when possible.

I heard from Kev last night and he is getting ready to start working on updating blow-molded.com in the near future and a picture of one of your lamp posts with the red top would be a great addition to the NOMA section, with your permission of course.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

Mel,

You can forward my email to Kev..I'd be happy to help out with pictures of my stuff you don't have on blow-molded.com...plus I got a lot of new stuff in last two years.

Edited by Roadrunner000

Wonderful!!!  I was going to send you an email to let you know that I heard from Kev last night, I am sure he will be very happy to know that you will be contributing pictures, you have a lot we don't have on the website yet and I don't have in our collection.

Mel

I sent an email to Kev asking him to check this thread to see your lamp posts, I expect to hear back from him soon.

Mel

Nice job on he restore, looks like they are brand new. I would have never put them in my display looking like they did when you got them. But maybe that is just my eye for detail.....

OMG why did you redo these!!!  The originals did not look that bad I think I'm gonna cry:(

They were red, white and blue, I wasn't a big fan, sorry.

Nice job on he restore, looks like they are brand new. I would have never put them in my display looking like they did when you got them. But maybe that is just my eye for detail.....

Thank you. I wouldn't have used them being red, white and blue either.

What kind of paint and how did you paint it on? I have about 5 blow molds i want to redo but i can never get them to look this good.

What kind of paint and how did you paint it on? I have about 5 blow molds i want to redo but i can never get them to look this good.

Krylon plastic spray paint... Apply a lot of thin coats as opposed to less heavy coats.

Mel

Mel, I have a set of these, and the tops are all-red on them as well.

Edited by jasonquick

Thanks for the information, I am assuming that the tops of yours were also made of red plastic and they have the blue color in the lamp post.  Kev will be adding a picture of Mike's to blow-molded.com.

Mel

Thanks for the information, I am assuming that the tops of yours were also made of red plastic and they have the blue color in the lamp post.  

That is correct.  The blue paint is the same kinda slapdash quality, too.  I still like 'em though.  :)