Led Lights For Blowmolds?

xxnonamexx

I tried using the C7 LED bulbs but found just one was not bright enough (the ones I used had only 3 LED's inside).  I experimented using T-5 LED bulbs from Action Lighting and they worked great.  Each bulb has 5 LED's in it and are bright enough to directly replace a c7 incan bulb without having to have multiples inside the mold.  I used warm white in more of the traditional blow molds (soldiers, etc) and the bright white in my candy canes, lolly pops, and small snowmen for a neat look.

Below is a link to the product:

http://www.actionlighting.com/t5-smd-led-frosted-e12-bulbs-midway-brand-pack-25-bulbs-227t5lede12/

For the larger blow molds that use a e27 base bulb, I am experimenting with some bulbs purchased off ebay directly from China.  Cost is $3.50 per bulb.

Very interesting I have the reindeer and santa in sleigh being shipped to me and I would love to swap the C-9 with LED can you assist in how I go about doing this? Also do you have a photo of one that you added more C-9s? Thanks

They come with C7s.  I don't think any 'molds come with C9s.

I found a site that sells the cord and plugs etc but is there a site that you can place your own sockets? If I want to add a few to a santa and reindeer linked together I would want to space them out nicely.

Item "C" at the link below is the add on socket available either with or without a clip.  I think these are for 18 gauge SPT1 wire so they may not fit properly to add on to the C7 cord sets that come with blowmolds.  If that is the case you would have to make up a whole new cord set using the proper size wire.

TED

Are any of you using the led bulbs in cold weather are you having issues with them not heating up enough like what happens with the cfl's

I use all LED on everything and the only issue I have in the cold/snow is that since LED's don't heat up they tend to get covered with snow (especially floods and on my bushes)  With blow molds, since the bulb is inside... no issues at all. 

I use CFL's for the big guys and 4w c7's for the little.  FYI..... 10w CFL puts out the same lumen as a 40 w bulb and a 13 w is like a 60 w bulb. Saves tones and no problems in the cold. 

About the peeling????  Never seen it and I have a set of carolers that are made from BECO, Snowmen made from Santa's Best and I can't even count the Empire. Trick to keeping them decent is to store them in some sort of shelter when not in use. Preferably someplace that breaths. I use the top of a garage.

I use CFL's for the big guys and 4w c7's for the little.  FYI..... 10w CFL puts out the same lumen as a 40 w bulb and a 13 w is like a 60 w bulb. Saves tones and no problems in the cold. 

The only problem with CFLs is for those who have a animated light show (LOR, etc).  They dont take well to being turned on and off at a rapid rate.  I learned the hard way lol.

I tried to put the CREE bulb into a santa blow mold but it won't fit since the socket has a long plastic outing and the CREE bulb can't quite fit so I might need to cut the outer socket. Or do they sell these sockets seperately?

I had that issue with a couple sockets... I just cut the plastic back to right above where the metal insert starts, worked out fine.

if you have a Costco near you and are a member, they have three packs of 40watt equivalent bulbs that are 7 watt LED for 10 bucks for three. So each bulb is 3.33. I redid all my molds this year and they work fantastically with LOR and are almost as bright as a reg. 60 watt. the color is spread evenly. i'll try and get a shot of them in action.

-chris

The only problem with CFLs is for those who have a animated light show (LOR, etc).  They dont take well to being turned on and off at a rapid rate.  I learned the hard way lol.

2nd this.  Lasted about a week, some just a day or so.  Had to cut the sockets back to make them fit.  I'll try those Costco LED lights someone mentioned.