Amateur Looking For Easier Way To Hang Lights

I have a two story house with a rather ominous elevation and front facing gables.  And my front yard is angled towards the street making the roof seem higher than it is.  Compared with many of you I'm a minimalist choosing just to outline my front facing perimeter with C7's (maybe moving to C9's).  I also outline the vertical elements on the brick with 6 runs.

I currently use shingle/gutter clips for the roof line and hot glue on the brick to connect the base of the sockets.  I'm probably breaking some cardinal rule of Christmas light hanging with this method, but it's worked ok for me.

Still, I find it a major chore to place each light individually, especially as I approach the peak of the gables.  I can honestly say hanging these lights has zapped my spirit a bit because it seems to take forever and I just don't enjoy it as much as I once did.  I love having them in place, just don't care much for the install process.  

Are there any good ideas out there to mount the lights on pre-cut lengths of "track" or bars that could be easily hung in place from below?  In other words, place some sort of "hook" in strategic places on the facia then place these pre-cut lengths in place?

what about putting hooks on the edges and strapping your lights to pieces of PVC so you only mount the PVC. this way you can do it easy. doesn't have to be big piping. 3/8" PVC should do it, not be very noticeable and make it easy to mount and dismount each year.  I would think you could hang them by using extension poles like the gutter clip mount poles you can find at walmart or home depot this time of year.. just an idea

I saw this and am doing it this year for my gutters. It is the vinyl siding J Channel. The channel slips right over the top of gutter and all the slots make it easy for zip ties, or in your case, you could zip tie or hot glue the c7 or c9s to it. Post season you just fold up the lengths of j channel. As for brick.....I don't know of anything there, but I do use a lot of the 3m command hooks and Velcro strips around the house.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_6550-46086-329063_0__?productId=3037104&Ntt=j+channel&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dj%2Bchannel&facetInfo=

I knew I'd find some great answers here.  The idea of using PVC with the broomstick clips is pretty cool.  On my steep gables I may go with metal conduit since it will be more rigid (albeit also heavier) but that would allow me to install from the low side of the gable angle and clip into a clip up higher without having to extend the ladder that extra 6-8 feet.  I think the PVC may flex too much for that purpose.

OK, the gears are turning.  This gives me some food for thought.... I'll be at Lowes in the AM cobbling together prototype parts.

Thanks guys.

RobertB:  First of all, that video is amazing.  Even if I had all the time and money in the world, I simply don't possess that much creativity to pull something like that off.  Amazing!

I love your idea for your dormer windows.  My gables are quite a bit larger than your dormers, but the shape is the same so the concept could still work.  Did you hold them in place in any way?  I'm surprised a brisk wind can't knock them off...?

I am actually surprised too. However, they stay up. We had 25 and 30 mile an hour winds yesterday and they did fine. If you go look at my "Thriller" video from 2012 (not 2013) you will see the little "ghosts" sheets flapping in the wind. We had 40+ mile an hour winds that night WHILE I was trying to video. I actually went inside to "unload" the SD card of video so at to video more.... the ladder I stand on to shoot videos had been blow over. Dormer frames stayed in place.

Look at the little pipe stand offs I put on. I bend those inward to just touch the shingles. It is kind of a balancing act but it works.

Maybe with your larger gables.... maybe use this part of it to at least "anchor" point of strings and secure the other end of the string of c7's or c9's at the end which is manageable for you. Secure it tight on the other end...hopefully it won't droop too bad. If it does, then take a long piece of stiff pvc, cut 2 small slits (one on either side on the end of the pipe at a 90deg to the edge...straight up and down??? ), jam in a nail into that slit....jam that into the edge of your shingles.....go back and gently raise the string of lights over that nail. Balances on that nail and prevents it from drooping at that point.

Might be hard to get a little (long) nail to "jam" in but you get the picture. You might even be able to get the c9's just to rest on the edge of the roof. Up close it might not look as good, but in the dark and from the street it might just look fine ;-)