Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
tjmarty

Type Of Plywood

i,am new to the cut out seen i was wondering what kind of plywood to use.

I live in Ohio and need some thing to hold up in the snow, but lite enough to carry back and forth from storage. i would like to start out with a Grinch that is about 6 feet tall.

I had plywood in the past, but it never fails, no matter how much sealer or clear coats, moisture always gets in and warps them. Even during storage in my attic I pull them out every year with another new curve. I purchased and am switching all mine over to the coroboard (plastic cardboard). A local sign shop ordered it up for me as the company only sells wholesale, but he sold it to me at cost for $18 per 4x8' sheet. Call your local sign shops and see what they can do. It is pretty flexible so i am actually doubling mine up and using 3m spray adhesive to sandwich them together. Use a plastic primer and the paint holds great.

I use ACX 1/2" plywood.  I prime the entire 4x8 sheet with Zinzer primer then use regular indoor paints.  Usually the oops's at the paint department.  This year Ace hardware had a get a quart free promotion.  Got a can of Santa red and grinch green.  So far they have held up to the NH elements well - no sealer coats.

Hello fellow Buckeye,

I've been making and displaying plywood cut-outs for more years than I care to admit.  I typically use 1/2" exterior grade plywood, one side sanded smooth; available at any home improvement store or a lumber yard.  For a 6' high piece, I'd use 5/8" (little hard to find) or 3/4" thick; the 3/4" material is heavy, so call around and try to find the 5/8" material.

I agree with NH-Dave, use a good primer on all sides, including the edges, after you cut out the shape.  I use two coats of primer.  I prefer exterior paints and use two coats of exterior paint. I'm not a fan of any kind of sealer, as some, actually most in my opinion will yellow over time.

I don't have any problems with warping.

Be careful with storing them; keep them as vertical as possible, leaned against something.  If they're stored for 11 months in wrong position, bent possibly due to something leaning against them, they natural take that shape.

Oh, one more thing, when you display them, leave the bottom off the ground a couple inches.  That'll prevent them from being exposed to moisture from the ground constantly.

Good luck and have fun making them.

Sorry, by sealer I meant the Kilz sealer/primer on the bare wood. I did all my originals with 3/8" plywood trying to keep em light (6' hanging Santa from gutter, snoopy on the mailbox, etc.) I agree 1/2 or 5/8 will hold up better and would be best for ground items, but I needed lighter stuff for the roof and hanging form gutters.

I looked back at my post on the coro as well...$12 a sheet from Grimco.

Gopackgo.....from one packers fan to another! I use a lot of hot glue. As I mentioned above, I 3m spray glue two sheets sandwiched together with the grains going opposite direction to make them stronger.

The best solution I have for mounting them is to glue the back of the cutout to a piece of PVC pipe (1 1/2"), use the u shaped hanging brackets to help hold too. Then pound a wood stake in the ground that fits inside the PVC, the cheap bundles sold at lowes. Now just run a screw in the back through the PVC and into the wood to keep it from turning. I mount my LOR controllers in pairs this way too. If you painted the back of the coro the hot glue can pop the paint off. Therefore I drill a hole in the back of the coro (not all the way through the front) lined up with the screw holes in the brackets, now fill the hole into the coro with hot glue and over the bracket tab. In essence it is a hot glue rivet.

If your hot glue is too hot it will melt the coro.

For hanging from the gutters I use the vinyl siding j channel and 20lb fishing string to tie it down at the bottom. I did have my plywood hanging Santa flip up on the roof one year from the wind.

I've used 1/4" in the past and it warped bad after 1 season. I've also had bad experiences buying from Home Depot. Their wood is always warped from the start. I'm switching to 1/2" exterior grade from a lumber yard.

All I use it 1/4" Luann, cheap and light weight. I used 1" by 2" and make a frame in the back with screws and glue. Plus 1/4" wood is lighter when making elements move with motors

Whatever I can get my hands on! I use the thinner stuff like 1/4 inch for smaller pieces, and the thicker like 1/2 inch for the bigger ones. never had a problem with em. I get almost all of my wood for free. I've used crappy reclaimed wood and just sanded it smooth first. Again I've never had a problem. I use acrylic paints and varnish them. Some of the cutouts are 12-15 years old.