Renewing Newbie - This Year I'm Going To Do It!

mrsdider

Hello everyone from Wisconsin. First and foremost thank you for all the inspiration and information here. I logged on as a 'newbie' back in 2007. At that time I posted about wanting to turn our 20' flagpole into a mega tree. I am ashamed to admit I still have accomplished it. I've been lurking here for 6 years now off and on and still have questions about how to create my tree. This year I AM going to do it.  I've read and understand about the bases needed and number of lights, etc.  What I can't seem to find any information on is how to get the lights to the top of the flag pole. I read an article somewhere about just hooking them to the flay lanyard, but it didn't really make much sense to me. I'd appreciate any suggestions or directions to where I might find out how to do this. It seems like it should be so simple, but for the life of me, I can't picture how it should be done. (I've searched the different forums, so if there is some simple answer out there and I'm not finding it, it is because my 'keywords' are wrong or something. :)  

Thank you in advance for any help and/or suggestions and for the wealth of information on this site. I am in awe of some of the displays created by the members here.

Happy decorating,

Mary

My flag pole is not used for a mega tree but I have three sets of icicles coming down and on top I have a nativity star.

What I do is get an automotive hose clamp and them make wire loops that I can bend into hooks to hook up the lights too.   so if you have like 12 slices you'd space those hooks around the top of the pole and then clamp down.

I then usually wrap this all up with electrical tape.  May not be the best set up but it has worked for me the past few years.

Use a heavy duty PVC coupler. If you have a 3" flag pole, then you'd want a coupler that enlarges pipe fittings from 4" to 6" .  Attach as many Eye Hooks to it as you have strings of lights.  Attach a brass or stainless pulley to the top of your flagpole and run the cable down to 2 sides of the coupler.  I use a boat trailer winch that I mount to the base of the stand to crank it up when all the strings of lights are attached.  Usually it's a 2 person job to keep everything spread out and  in line.  When the lighting season is over, you just crank it down,  unhook the strings of lights and leave the PVC coupler on the bottom till next year.  I just scored on a 18' aluminum pole that I am reconfiguring to work in my stand so mine is off line this year otherwise I would send pics of my set up.  Hope this helps you.