Bellagio Poles, Firesticks, Vu Meters, Light Jets?

My first one was 7 channels each channel/segment was about 17" that covered a 10' pole. I see a lot of them with 8 channels, I suppose that fits their channels/controller count better.

I built my segments on a piece of 1 1/2" PVC  to slip over a 1" metal pipe. That makes repair easy.

Lee

I call them 'Leapers!'  I used 10' sch40(thicker wall) pvc 1"   Interesting experience making them...I use 70 count M5's and they take up about 14 inches for each of the 8 channels.  I tried a 1-1/4" pvc and the light bulbs ended up lining up in a row instead of randomly spaced around the pipe.  I wrap tight wire around and around.  Here is the vid link...Good Luck!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLBvbV1Aw8w

Hey Crimson, nice video of how you made your leapers.  I did something similar but wrapped two colors on top of each other, 8 channels for each one.  That way I can fade between colors on my poles.  I made mine red/blue and the other green/white.  Looks great to able to change the colors.  Do you put guy wires on yours?  How do you "mount" them?

One word of caution:  Do not use speaker wire!  I know LEDs pull less current, but you are still plugging this into 110V and speaker wire is not rated to carry that voltage.

Dennis

I built what I call mini-mega-leapers - there is an article on how to do it in November 2012 issue of planetchristmasmagazine - I use a 3 inch wide pvc pipe - I cut it down to 5 feet and use 16 channels - I wrap green, white, red and blue so I need the 16 channels to handle each one 4 channels per color.

You can see them in action at www.crazytechchristmas.com - under the 2012 videos.

I used 1 1/2 PVC I have 2 approx 10' and 2 approx 8' high they each have 8 channels and I use a metal fence post thea you can get at HD I pound that in the ground and slip my Bellago Poles over them and they stand straight and don't bend in the wind. A suggestion would be to use LED lights say M5-M6 .....I used incandecent and boy am I sorry...... they take a ton fo maintence and if if wasn't so much work making them I'd start over and redo all of them, my poles and arches

Takoda:  Thanks for the tip on the speaker wire.  If it fails, I'll upgrade it to spt1.  To mount the 10 foot leapers I drive a 8 foot piece of rebar in the ground as plumb as possible leaving 4 or 5 feet above ground.  I then slide the poles over the rebar.  Last year I did use one guy wire (drop ceiling wire and a tent stake) to keep one pole straighter.

We have four in our display 10ft. tall with 8 channels. Odd channels are clear, even channels are red. The way we mounted ours is we put a 16 in. piece of 2" pvc in concrete below grade and put a clean out on each one. Then we put a male adapter on the bottom of the pole. When we get ready to set up I just take the cap off of the clean out and screw the pole into the clean out. I run a couple of guys just to keep it stable in high winds.  This year we have added 3 channel exploding stars from Christmas Light Show to the top so I had to guy them a little better because of the added weight at the top.

SPaschall