Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
mwalz

Going For A Cleaner Display This Year, I Want Some Thoughts

Well since i want to have a clean display this i want some opinions on if things like maybe a couple inflatable would be too much? One of the images below is of what i have up in my display. I have a lot more lights on the house but they aren't turned on. I will b doing more lights only this year. All the neighbors like the cleaner looking display rather than just a mess of everything. I'll have a picture of last year vs. what i have up so far this year. This year i won't put up more that 2 inflatables probably, one being an 8' polar bear, and another is a 8' snowman. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you guys think. The bear will be over to the right by the white mega tree. I will be putting that on up. I just am unsure of what all to do

post-19074-0-75246100-1384745250_thumb.j

post-19074-0-35716600-1384745263_thumb.j

For me, personally, I also prefer a clean display with straight lines of lights.  I don't have inflatables or blow molds and I really like the clean look of just lights.  I have decided to stick to a certain colour theme, so right now we only have blue and cool white.  We also stay away from mixing warm white with cool white for consistency's sake.  I would suggest adding a bit more red (maybe over by the white mega tree) and perhaps next year do your house in green, red, and white instead of the multi coloured strings.  However, I think your display looks great!

I do prefer the clean lines.. but at the same time.. too much of a single color kinda distorts the layout.. I try to use high contrast to colors.. deliberately not blending.. but green against red, or blue against read. but not green against blue.. too close on color scales. Lots of white but big color when you use it.. solid more than multi... not sure this helps.. but just my opinion... 

Definitely cleaner is better.  And you can always do more with less... The problem with every space filled with something is that people tend to loose attention pretty quickly.  I have been doing lights for many years, but only the past 2 years have done LOR.  Even with that, some feedback I received was that blinky-flashy was good.... to a point... That is why I incorporate slower / traditinal songs in the display to break up the "BAM" factor... And I don't do blow molds or inflatables... Just  my preference... And I am greatful for those on this forum willing to share thier thoughts and ideas. 

No blow molds for me either.  Love the "clean" look as well.   Neatly wrapped trees, net lights, roof lines, mini mega trees, mini trees and arches.  I've never bought a set of "multi" lights, it's all one solid color string of lights.  I can make a multi string come on if I want to by having all of the green, red, white and blue on a tree come on, but I personally dont like the look.  I even jumped up 32 more channels this year to try and keep that look going on the new house we moved into.  Will definitely be diving into RGB and Pixel based lighting very soon.

I do like your clean line Christmas Set Up- Very Much Actually but I also see the enchantment of your Child Friendly Design of last year.  I have a tendency to put too many "themes" into my displays too and it seems to only boggle the adults...kids on the other hand see and love everything bright and animated.  So I guess the theory behind which way to go is if you want those passerbyers to say "ahhh that's lovely" or the little ones bouncing in their seats in excitement as they take in that Christmas cluttered yard.

Thanks for all the feedback! More than i was expecting! I will probably use my big 8' bear inflatable because i have already planned to put him where i want him and i have nothing else to fill the space to make everything look balanced. Like too many lights on one side and not enough on the other. I will put him on the right side, left of the white tree. And in front of all that have maybe 1 blow mold surrounded by 9 little tree's about 18" high. And of course i still have a manger scene and some deer. Also lights on the house i still have to plug in. But i do like the nice clean look, i don't think one inflatable will be all that bad. It has a strong motor(back when they made them really good), so it will not be real flimsy looking and ir t will be straight up. I will post some pics on this thread or a new one when i get the final display up.

As much as I prefer a cleaner display and I am not a fan of blow molds or blowups. I think if you could incorporate a little of last years into this years it will look much better. This years looks a little underwhelming compared to last years.

As much as I prefer a cleaner display and I am not a fan of blow molds or blowups. I think if you could incorporate a little of last years into this years it will look much better. This years looks a little underwhelming compared to last years.

Yea i was kind of thinking that.......i have lights on the house of course that aren't lit in the pics, and i don't want too much in the yard but i will have my light up deer, and maybe 2 inflatables...not totally sure about that yet. I won't be doing any little inflatables just big ones this year. But yet i want to keep it as clean as possible. I will have some blow molds too. I'll post some pics when I'm done. I have another thread here with pics with more lights:

I like the displays both years! I understand going for a clean look. Prior to where I live now, I was the only house that decorated so I went all out. 30+ inflatables, lights and molds everywhere. Now I'm in the city and have a tiny yard. The neighbors mostly decorate with lights only. Only a few of us have inflatables and I'm only the one with molds. It was nice winning the contest the first year decorating in the neighborhood, even brought the competitiveness out in some of the neighbors.  :)