Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigstott

Annoyed With Neighbor Help Please

Ok all. First off this is not about a neighbor who is having issues with my display... My neighbors are cool with all my lights they like it. This is about me being annoyed with my neighbor who is basically copying everything I do......

This started last year... I had just moved into the area in the summer and looking forward to my display. I had spent from the first part of October collecting designing and figuring out what I wanted to do with my display. So I started putting it together piece by piece. I had heard this neighbor across the part decorated his house a bit but from what I heard nothing spectacular.  

I had decided to start in mid November to rap up by designing my 4 arches over my driveway. I was out in the yard putting it up when this guy drove by stopped and talked to me a little bit about them. Unbeknownst to me this was the neighbor who was decorating.... and what do ya know 4 days later... he had arches up in his driveway..... 

So I kept going a little annoyed but got over it quickly... I had gotten this great star off craigslist for 5 bucks it was 6ft 3d star so I mounted it up on the top point of my roof.... and a day later I saw this guy building one and magically out it in the same spot...... Again I was feeling more and more irritated...

So I stopped decorating for a few days hoping he was finished with his decorations.... So I added a merry Christmas sign up on the side of the house..... and two days later same sign on his house... Now you guys can see I was more then irritated....

So this year I was hoping that this would not happen again... But it did even worse....

This year I was forced to put everything up early because I have a new baby coming so I had wanted to turn my arches this year into a tunnel that went the length of my driveway which looks cool..... The damn guy did the same thing!!!!

I had also built some small arches along the yard using a controller for leaping arches and today what do ya know.... he put some up.....

I added c9 LED along the border of my yard and yep he did too

I am about ready to go over an kick the crap out of this guy!!!!!!!

What should I do?? I mean I spend time thinking about this stuff finding great deals or building it myself for him to just come and copy what I am doing.

I don't mind someone decorating and giving me a run for my money but just copying everything I do..... I have about had it.... the only thing he cant copy is my new 20ft mega tree because he is too stupid to figure out how to build one....

Anyways thoughts PC people??? All I can think to do is build from scratch everything and make it complicated so he stops??? HELP

wow that is a crazy story....i would be mad as heck....id at least say something to him....let him know that you know whats going on....just my opinion of coarse....lol    ;)  ;)  ;)

I would just mention that your display seems to look a lot like his..lol...what a crazy story........don't act mad though...since you live by this guy i wouldn't make him too mad because he is there all year. I would just take it as kind of funny but maybe that is just me.

I'd love to copy somebody else ..its a lot of work planning, finding, building, and putting it up.....wish they'd pay for it too :) .  I probably wouldn't say he is doing this out of maliciousness but rather doesn't have the imagination to coordinate his own, - to him its like buying what the box stores offer on display.  Your kind of like that crafty person everyone knows that can make awesome things ...so we either copy from them or ask them to make it.  I know that doesn't ease the pain of seeing Twinkle Twin down the street but it may lesson the annoyance knowing that some people just don't have creative minds and have to use the concepts they have available to them....being your awesome display. Keep Smiling.

Try adding It's a boy to the display... ??? or girl and see what he does...? just an idea..but LangfordDave is right... Prior to you, He didn't have a big display. Just maybe he is not very creative and is learning from you.. If he is doing the same things as you... then he may not have creative ideas... but is able to figure out how your doing most of it on his own.. so he can build things.. maybe you can give him ideas and he can help you... and create 2 separate distinct displays that both of you can be proud of.. though I kinda like the idea of Its a boy or girl... just to see what he does next... 

That would be really irritating. You could try pawning off some ideas you had, or you've seen, but that aren't right for your display on him. Maybe say something like "You know, I had these great plans to do Snoopy on a doghouse, but I'm not sure I'm going to get to it. Would you like to hear about the details?  It might be something that would look great in your yard"  Still annoying, he ought to come up with his own ideas, but it might have a shot at diverting his attention from copying every detail in your display.     

It is great that you have a neighbor that decorates - barely anyone in my neighborhood does.  I would carry over a few strings of lights and give them to him as a gift as a fellow light enthusiast.  Maybe give him some ideas on how he can add new elements to his display.  Say something like "I really like this part of your house, if I had a chance I would do this....."  Give him some ideas and offer to help out and you might end up with a new great friend.

Funny as it sounds, it sounds like a real life version of that made for TV movie battle or the bulbs where the neighbors are copying each other and trying to out do each other..... Honestly most of us do it for the enjoyment of others, especially the kids.

this sounds like the plot from Deck the Halls.. I'm not sure what I would do... if they were next door I would incorporate, but if he is down the street I would at least meet up with him and discuss whats going up on his display next...

or make one of those DITTO signs, except put up COPYCAT with an arrow

0chris

I can see your frustration, but I wouldn't let it get to me. Our community has a decorating "contest" and I have never done this to outdo anyone else. Although everyone who stops by for a chat thinks we win every year....we don't. But everyone, even the Pizza delivery guys, know about the Christmas House! I couldn't tell you the hours I have spent, or how much it adds to the setup time, I have spent chatting with neighbors about how it is done and how much they enjoy it all. There is a little girl down the street who still thinks Mrs Claus is really here because of the Santa videos running in the window.

Unfortunately I got bit by this bug while visiting Disney after they switched over to their christmas display and I saw the Osbourne lights. After that I found LOR and PC. Which in reality, PC is just a place for us to share ideas and copy each other! I wouldn't have a mega tree, ride on Train, my own cutouts,and sequenced lights if it wasn't for you all here. And I do it because it is a hobby and I enjoy making creative ideas come to life. My wife likes to tell the story of how for the first 15 years I never wanted to put up christmas lights!

If I were you I would take him over a fruit cake and a pot of coffee. Chat him up, tell him about PC and let him start finding his own ideas to incorporate. Better yet, go buy the roller coaster or polar plunge cicadafx is selling!

Who knows, maybe he will stop by over the holidays and say thanks for inspiring him?

I actually find this kinda humourous but I understand the frustration. You put all of your time and energy into design and set up that the last thing you want is someone doing exactly the same thing and possibly taking the credit for it.

Im going to look at it from a different angle and that is from the spectators eyes. Nobody really wants to see the same thing twice so depending on who's house is seen first the other house may be left out because like I said no one wants to see the same thing twice. This is quite unfortunate because if the house that is being left assuming has a donation bin, that charity is going to be left out a bit, so I would go to the neighbour and maybe work together to differenciate the two so that the kids, adults and charities don't get jipped. That's the last thing you want this time of year.

You seem to be a person of reason I would just talk to him and see how you can work something out.

I do have a neighbor that uses my old Mr Christmas.  Now, the loud music is very annoying - I'm not a fan of outdoor music that all the neighbors (even me) has to hear all night every night.  I keep trying to talk several neighbors into joining MY show, but no luck... yet.

For your situation, Take it as a complement & see how far he'll go... Makes the whole neighborhood more festive. You already know you have 1 upped him with the Mega. Go for RGB and or spiral tree.

I can still see his frustration, he's obviously not going to do that. that's why he's hear, trying to figure out a reasonable alternative. I would have said the same thing. it releases some steam and also gets his point across that's he's frustrated.

now if you went over there and beat him up, and then posted on here... different story. I think you should also introduce the guy to PC and then maybe he'll get an idea where to get new ideas.

Is your neighbor synchronized too? He may copy your layout but your sequencing will show your hard work.

Let it go for this year. It's already done. Talk to him before next Christmas and tell him that you two should have a contest on who can come up with the better display. This should challenge to come up with some different ideas. Point him towards this site and other decorating sites so he can come up with other ideas. 

Check out my favorite Christmas story under my (photo) dah!  and that happened 50 years ago ! it may be a long road to get him to come up with something of his own>

You could put up more mega Tress.

Or

Talk to him about coordinating your displays.  As other have said, he may not be creative.  Suggest projects to him. 

I think it's time you went all Clark W. Griswold on him.  Maybe get a little sarcastic yet keep it light to where he's not sure if you're kidding or insulting him.  Perhaps "Hey buddy, how about I come over and help you with finding something original for your yard" or "Aren't you worried your wife/kids/parents/etc will pull into my driveway instead?" followed by a chuckle...with the Griswold in your eyes though.  

I'd expect the same - my neighbor goes all out and thanks to him, I've decided to step it up big time this year.  Will I have anything that looks like his?  Absolutely not.  I wouldn't want to weird him out.  

Good thing he doesn't dress like you and drive the same car you do, otherwise, I think your problems would be a lot bigger than decorations.  Eek.

I would work together with him and make an awesome display. This is nothing but flattery like everyone else is saying. The biggest thing is this. For someone to copy you on anything means they just don't have the aptitude to do it themselves so they reach out and sorry to say but copy too closely. I agree with others here... when they say go and see if you two can make something spectacular.

Shoot if my neighbor was doing this it would give me the opportunity to take my creativity even further.

Yeah, like what someone said earlier, make a joke along the lines of "carefull not to pull into the wrong driveway".  That should get the point across without being mean.

Also, you should post some pics of both the set ups.  I'm very curious as to how similar they look.

One of the things I love about putting up my display is how it brings people and families out together to see something that is done out of the goodness of my heart, that I get the privilege of sharing with them. If I had a neighbor who shared my enthusiasm, I would work together with them to make a display that people from miles around would want to come and see. Think of the sequencing possibilities!!! Part of who we are as decorators(at least part of who I am) is an idealist and as such I like to set the example of kindness through my display and hot chocolate and cookies that I give out with it. I do other things throughout the year to help my neighbors as well, but this is my gift to them. I say come together with your neighbor, work side by side, it is all about honoring our Lord, and together you can both do a display that meets this aim. We live in a world that is so divisive and a government that divides and conquers us everyday. Let's be different, let's be the example and build bridges and friendships instead of walls and competitions. God Bless everyone and may you all have a Very Merry Christmas!!!  :)  

after all that has been posted in this thread so far.. i am curious how the decision was going forward. Bigstott, did our feedback help, did you decide your decision... I know its being forward but I am more curious than ever. I am sure at some point I will go through something similar, and this helps me along with others..