Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
xxnonamexx

Led Strobe Lights

I purchased the LED strobe light bulbs to place on my 10ft outdoor tree. I read about condensation issues ruining the bulbs. Has anyone else had this issue? http://www.christmaslightshow.com/LED-Curtain-strobe-lights-3-to-4-flashes-per-second.html I will be adding this to my outdoor tree this weekend.

I have used 75 LED strobes I got from CDI for several years now and have no problem with condensation.  I have read of others with issues but the CDI ones work great.

I have used 75 LED strobes I got from CDI for several years now and have no problem with condensation.  I have read of others with issues but the CDI ones work great.

Same here ......mine are from CDI and no condensation issues either

Edited by gmac

so I don't need to drill holes? They will be hanging on a 10ft outdoor tree and I am sure will get wet and snowed on.

I think that depends on where you got your strobes from.  As gmac and I stated, the CDI ones didn't have a condensation issue for us so no holes needed to be drilled in ours.  The link that  xxnonamexx posted appears to show that the strobes from Christmas Light Show need holes drilled in them.  Strobes from other than these two.... I just can't guess.

CDI is more expensive I found the Incandescent ones I used last year were excellent and the new LEDs are brighter.

Edited by xxnonamexx

I have CDI LED strobes and never have had to drill holes in them, from what I have read that is in general with LED ones.  I have a few Xenon ones left that I had to drill holes in because condensation was a problem.  Not sure if it's just CDI that you don't have to drill or just LED strobes in general becasuse they are made different

I was looking at the strobe bulbs from CDI, but how do you mount them?   Do you use a strand of C-9 and replace every Xth bulb with a strobe?

Or is there a special wire with very wide spacing just for this purpose?

You guys have me intrigued...

-r

I was looking at the strobe bulbs from CDI, but how do you mount them?   Do you use a strand of C-9 and replace every Xth bulb with a strobe?

Or is there a special wire with very wide spacing just for this purpose?

You guys have me intrigued...

-r

I think using  12' spaced C9 stringers (500 or 1000') spools is the easiest way to go......You simply remove the empty sockets inbetween the strobes and dab the wire with liquid tape on the tiny holes left from the removed sockets, that way you can use 12" 24" 36" 48" or what ever you needs are. It's easy and quick IMO

I use old C9 strings and pop the unused sockets off or seal with hot glue or caulk.  I have strings done all 3 ways for several years now.  However the CDI strobes will not be as bright after the 1st year.  They don't loose much, but when set next to a new bulb there is an obvious difference.

Thanks for the info. I need to cover a large area (this is for a church building...planning for next year). So probably the zip cord and individual sockets would work best. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

yes

That not necessarely correct..........Yes you can screw the strobes in the same line, but strobes should be used with 100% intensity and if your c9 retrofits are dimming or twinkling or whatever the strobes won't be working properly. Unless you have the C9's at full intensity all the time.

Yep....U'r right.........But I assumed that because I certainly wouldn't think he would want to see strobes going of constantly for say 5hrs . and they wouldn't last very long at that rate