Gingerbread House Complete!

Eggbah

Just finished my gingerbread house and it will be off to the yard Friday morning (once I return from Black Friday shopping)!!  I was going to put minis on it, but now  I think it will look good with C7s....I think.  It will be lit up inside, too.

The good list is a tribute to:

1. My inspiration, Ken.  My neighbor that just passed away yesterday that inspired me to go all out this year.  I never got a chance to tell him.

2. My 7 yr old son Jacob for helping me out

3. My cousin, Walter, that passed a few years ago. 

I can't wait to take it outside!

post-19233-0-26245800-1385604909_thumb.j

post-19233-0-11180900-1385604924_thumb.j

post-19233-0-72331400-1385604926_thumb.j

post-19233-0-16711000-1385604928_thumb.j

Great work. What did you use for the "icing"? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks!  The icing is about 7-10 tubes of cheap, indoor/outdoor, white caulk ($1.98 a tube, I think) from Home Depot.  I piped it onto wax paper and peeled it off after a couple of days of drying, coating with polycrylic, glittering, and topping off with another coat of polycrylic.  Normally, I would never seal caulk - sealing caulk is borderline insane and I'm VERY stingy with my polycrylic.  It is like liquid gold. But in this case, I needed the glitter to stay. 

As far as the outline of the necco wafer roof (the half circle bits) and the caulk icing not hanging off, I piped it directly onto the house itself.  Very easy to do!

• 3 weeks later...

That is super cool! I've been thinking of a way to make a 3D gingerbread house for next year. I'm thinking I may find an old plastic playhouse for toddlers and paint/mod it to be a gingerbread house. :)  Our theme is candyland/gingerbread, so I'm always on the lookout for awesome things like this! ^_^

That is super cool! I've been thinking of a way to make a 3D gingerbread house for next year. I'm thinking I may find an old plastic playhouse for toddlers and paint/mod it to be a gingerbread house. :)  Our theme is candyland/gingerbread, so I'm always on the lookout for awesome things like this! ^_^

Thank you!  I thought about doing that too!  But I couldn't find anyone that would part with one at a price I liked.  Rustoleum makes a great spray paint for plastic.  Just an idea - you could hot glue the cheap plastic candy canes to it.  

Thank you!  I thought about doing that too!  But I couldn't find anyone that would part with one at a price I liked.  Rustoleum makes a great spray paint for plastic.  Just an idea - you could hot glue the cheap plastic candy canes to it.  

Very good idea! I'm checking the yard sale group on Facebook frequently and sometimes I have seen them on the side of the road--all faded and dirty. I'll scrub that sucker. LOL I've used that plastic spray paint on a couple of things--it does work really well! I'm not handy with wood, so I need to find an alternative--the plastic will be perfect for me! :) As long as I can figure out how to store it!

• 2 weeks later...

So do people walk around your display or is it drive by . Just worried about the icing being pulled off

Both, but I haven't had any issues with anyone pulling the icing off.  It's a pretty tough little house.  It has rained just about every weekend plus a few very, very windy days and everything stayed in place.

If anyone does accidentally pulls off the icing, that's ok - I still have 3 tubes of caulk.  I was more worried about my husband messing it up during the breakdown today.

One change that I must make before next Christmas is that I have to shoot a few nails into the presents.  Hot glue didn't hold up well at all.  Guess that's what I get for being lazy and not turning the compressor on for a few nails.   :blink:  (side note: 2 pinched nerves kept me away from the old fashioned hammer at the time of construction)