Unexpected Ring At Door....

At about 6pm tonight, our doorbell rang.... Standing at my front door was a woman who said, "your home brings back so many childhood memories for me....Makes me feel like a kid again... When my daughter flies in for the holidays, I will definitely bring her here to see your display." So nice to see the joy Christmas decorations bring people thru the holiday season....It makes all the time spent worth it.....  :)

That is so nice to hear!!!  Our display is much smaller than most on here, but it's the second largest on our street. Several families at Halloween made a point of telling me how much they loved our decorations. One family with little ones told me they always slow down when driving by our house. It definitely makes it worth it to me when I see the cars with kids slow and check it all out. 

When we first moved here, the guy up the street did a good sized display, and a few other people put out lights, or a decoration or two, but that was it. Our street has definitely escalated since then. I think people see all the lights, and feel moved to add a string on their own gutters, or maybe an inflatable or a wire frame or two.  Our next door neighbors are still working on theirs, and their son across the street set up lights way up in his trees, along with his gutter, synchronized to music. I drive down our street and it feels like Christmas!

Reminds me of my house on the lake last year (I've recently moved a half hour north).  About December 10th, I get a call from the neighbor lady who is in her 90's...  In her meek and feeble voice she asks if I was going to put "The Christmas Tree" out on the lake again ?  Mind you there was only about 2-3 inches of ice on the lake at that point and because it wasn't safe I hadn't planned on doing it....  Next day, I put a life jacket and borrow a small jon boat, push the 6' pre-lit tree 500' feet out onto the lake and unwrap the extension cords on my way back to shore.  The next night I get a call from her thanking me and telling how much joy she gets seeing that lone lit up tree out in the middle of the lake every year...  And THAT is why we do what we do....

Reminds me of my house on the lake last year (I've recently moved a half hour north).  About December 10th, I get a call from the neighbor lady who is in her 90's...  In her meek and feeble voice she asks if I was going to put "The Christmas Tree" out on the lake again ?  Mind you there was only about 2-3 inches of ice on the lake at that point and because it wasn't safe I hadn't planned on doing it....  Next day, I put a life jacket and borrow a small jon boat, push the 6' pre-lit tree 500' feet out onto the lake and unwrap the extension cords on my way back to shore.  The next night I get a call from her thanking me and telling how much joy she gets seeing that lone lit up tree out in the middle of the lake every year...  And THAT is why we do what we do....

wow that is a great story! love it

• 2 weeks later...