Well this year my display has grown to a little over 18,000 lights. Next year i want to animate it. I figured up with 32 channels, another 1,000ft of cord plus vampire plugs and an fm transmitter plus a few more lights and little things it will add up to be about $1,000 when all said and done. But I'm unsure of where to start. I'm only 16 so at this point it is hard to spend that much on CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. But i do love doing it. I know what i will be getting in to, but just the price! I have a picture of this years display below and i want some opinions on what i should do or can do with 16 or 32 channels. I'm thinking of leaving all the lights on the roof and house on, but synchronizing all the yard and possibly the windows and porch, and garage. I need some help here, i've messed around with the demo software, and i know what is all need and involved in a display like this. I will have the money and if i bought anything like controllers i will do it in light o rama's spring/summer sale next year. Any advice is much appreciated!

post-19074-0-10127000-1386030043_thumb.j

post-19074-0-02555500-1386030047_thumb.j

post-19074-0-58360200-1386030051_thumb.j

post-19074-0-18289700-1386030057_thumb.j

You have done an awesome Christmas Display- just beautiful.  As for your estimate on $1000 for LOR...sorry it is going to take more than that...the extension cords alone (sale or not) can easily be over $200 for a modest display.  The DEMO for sequencing is not really applicable to the real thing but you will see once you invest in the LOR- and you being 16, well you probably have less of a learning curve than us old (er) people. Just a reminder that what you can do with 16 or 32 circuits is just that...each channel controls one thing at the points in time that you want your display channel  to do something and you will quickly find that 32 channels are modest displays...not to say that you cant make an awesome display with 16 or 32 but your programming skills will get an ultimate challenge for it.  Just keep your eyes peeled during garage sales for the things you can use (unfortunately I don't think one will ever see the LOR channels in a garage sale...but one never knows). You did an awesome job with the static display so I look forward to what you can do with a little animation.

My first year I had only 3,000 lights, single controller.  The next year I went to 17,000 lights, of which 1,600 were in the mega tree- aside from that I added one controller for the tree, but programmed the first single controller for all the rest.

If you want to see what you can do with single controller check out my site www.crazytechchristmas.com - see video and pictures in 2010 and 2011.

It is a lot of work, but is fun!

My yard is doing a single 16 channel lor system. For first year I think its gonna be awesome.  I plan on calculating the stats like lights cords etc tomorrow night. We launch wednesday night at 6pm and so far we have confirmed about 15 or so people who plan it see it launch. They know I am slightly off kilter and never know whats coming around the corner. We are doing  hot chocolate and coffee for first show of about 40 min... its a bit pricy but buy a little at a time and it won't hurt as bad....wonderful static display... cant wait to see you animate!

You have a great start it looks great

I would look into just going computer controlled next year with what you have and LOR is a great choice very good support and very easy to work with as stated above the extras will be an added expense and it always takes more than you planned for seems like.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you could by the kit form to save some bucks. When you get all that figured adding lights and elements will be lots easier.

Make sure to post some pictures when you get er done,,,,,,,, :huh::)

Good luck

Well I'm still not sure about spending that much for Christmas lights. LOR seems to be the best choice, but still...it all depends on how much money i make next year. I own a small grass cutting buisness so that should be enough. But if i don't have the money b he end of next summer than it will be too late to start..... I also had some plans for making things bigger next year. As in making my big mega tree 30' tall and that will run a few hundred dollars easy with more lights. But i still have some thinking to do. I priced LOR with the partially assembled boxes. My dad and i both know how to solder so I'm sure we could solder a board to save a couple hundred dollars...but it still is a lot of money for Christmas lights.......... at least imo

Yep to the expense of it all I do not think you would get an argument here....

Add what you feel is right for you and you will be as good as gold

Welcome to the madness........ 

Lol....well madness is the perfect term to describe this all lol.....the more i think, the more i want to just make my display bigger, because for me to animate it i don't want to start small, maybe a combination of the next couple years, maybe start with 16 channels next year and just do the big tree which i will most definitely make 30'. And then in 2015 add 2 more controllers and have 48 channels or maybe just 32. I would be way cheaper with just 16 channels, and i wouldn't need any extension cords because that one box would be at the base of my tree. So that makes it even cheaper. That sounds like it is a lot more doable, because i could do that for a few hundred $$$ and still have money to make my tree bigger.

For the most part you have everything but the controllers already in place. You might try using the lor to accent what you do now... like the tree your going to expand.. make it animated and the rest as static...you could and will have a lot of fun taking it up another notch...