Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Dmitriy

Seal Or Not To Seal Plywood Cutout?

Newbie here!

First year doing cutouts, from cabinet grade plywood. 2 layers of primer. 2-3 layers of HOME DEPOT sample paint! All done.

Do i need seal or not. CALIFORNIA weather. Will rain 2.3 times and display on front yard with sprinklers?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sample paint is typically indoor paint. I'd seal it just to be safe and to make it last longer. Use minwax polycrylic. It is water based. That's the only one I use. Mainly because I loathe mineral spirits and the clean up with polycrylic is so much easier - soap and water.

They make a water based urethane now for outdoors that does not yellow like spar varnish does.    Polycrylic is for indoor use.    In the long run, it will start flaking off.  I refinish furniture, and also do exterior doors and entry ways.    

Interesting, I build furniture and have had a piece outside for just over 3 years and haven't had problem with flaking yet. Perhaps if one experiences flaking with polycrylic it could be the type of paint used and extreme weather conditions. I do not use oil based paints or stains due to many reasons so perhaps that could be a factor with the flaking.

Edited by Eggbah

You are correct about extreme weather conditions.    I live in MA where it is 20 one day and 50 the next.    I stopped using oil based stain about 5 years ago.    Eggbah, thank you for letting me know you have used it outside and has lasted for 3 years so far.  I will file that in my head (hope it stays there)   for future reference on jobs.  

Simply use a can of painters touch matte clear and you will be fine but if i can make one suggestion instead of using paint from home depot like you said because i believe you said it was indoor paint buy Patio paints you can get them online or at Michaels or hobby lobby if you have those stores they work great i only clear because of the sharpie paint marker i use to line them cant sink in through the paint so it then needs to be cleared but the painters touch clear is also non yellowing so you should be fine just make sure its matte very important if you use gloss it will reflect your spot lights... i hope this helps...

You are correct about extreme weather conditions.    I live in MA where it is 20 one day and 50 the next.    I stopped using oil based stain about 5 years ago.    Eggbah, thank you for letting me know you have used it outside and has lasted for 3 years so far.  I will file that in my head (hope it stays there)   for future reference on jobs.  

No problemos.  I hope I didn't sound snarky, if so I apologize - just letting you know my experience so far.  Fumes are just too harsh when you work out of your house and lack proper ventilation in the dungeon aka the workshop. Plus, the furnace is nearby and I have a fear of blowing up the place. :)  Brilliant minds decided that the garage was a GREAT location for it.  

Walmart sells patio paint as well if there is not a craft store nearby.   Hobby Lobby sells an aerosol acrylic paint sealer - can't remember what brand it is, but it is on the same aisle as craft paints.  Personally, I've never used that particular sealer, so I can't really give it a Siskel and Ebert "two thumbs up" yet.   

No problemos.  I hope I didn't sound snarky, if so I apologize - just letting you know my experience so far.  Fumes are just too harsh when you work out of your house and lack proper ventilation in the dungeon aka the workshop. Plus, the furnace is nearby and I have a fear of blowing up the place. :)  Brilliant minds decided that the garage was a GREAT location for it.  

Walmart sells patio paint as well if there is not a craft store nearby.   Hobby Lobby sells an aerosol acrylic paint sealer - can't remember what brand it is, but it is on the same aisle as craft paints.  Personally, I've never used that particular sealer, so I can't really give it a Siskel and Ebert "two thumbs up" yet.   

I have 20 freshly painted characters in my display all spray cleared with cheap cans of painters touch matte clear and they bead the water off them like they have a wax it truly works great now it does say uv and non yellowing time will only tell on that note Im just hoping what they say on the can is true but other then that i could spray a good 4 characters off a can and its only like 3 dollars.....

Finally its Out, , I wold like to say personal thanks to john venturi and Eggbah for your support and HELP!!!

Second Year we doing Display, Just moved in 2 yers ago to out neighborhood.

Cut Out - first time in our live :blink: , but it was fun for whole family.

Fireplace "double-use" for both Halloween and Christmas, flip it around for other holiday. with Flames from spirit Halloween store.

Here some pics.

post-19148-0-23731900-1386572531_thumb.j

post-19148-0-09572700-1386572448_thumb.j

post-19148-0-61728100-1386572501_thumb.j

post-19148-0-70995400-1386572554_thumb.j

post-19148-0-94488700-1386572580_thumb.j

Very cool!! Love how you kept with the cartoonish look with Santa and the presents. The presents look great with their curved sides. The double duty fireplace is killer!

Everything looks great I see that you have the same issues as the rest of us who make wood characters RED STINKS TO PAINT WITH !!!!!!! Doesn't it? Its hard to get it to look perfect it takes a ton of coats but what you did was AWESOME!! I truly love the fireplace is the fire apparatus from Spencers store ? No need for a thanks either Im just glad you were able to make such nice stuff and if I helped then I must have done a good job because I think yours are as nice as mine if not better they truly look great..Did you ever see the family guy and nightmare before Christmas ones i did i think my Jack Skellingtion would look great in your Halloween display feel free to use my art work for yours check it out and see if you like it

Simply use a can of painters touch matte clear and you will be fine but if i can make one suggestion instead of using paint from home depot like you said because i believe you said it was indoor paint buy Patio paints you can get them online or at Michaels or hobby lobby if you have those stores they work great i only clear because of the sharpie paint marker i use to line them cant sink in through the paint so it then needs to be cleared but the painters touch clear is also non yellowing so you should be fine just make sure its matte very important if you use gloss it will reflect your spot lights... i hope this helps...

John you ever thought about using black paint for your trim instead of the black sharpie?

Red and specially fluorescent green and yellow - it took lots of coats. For some reason when painting - its almost transparent, and u can see imperfection from previous layers.... i Start with brush, that even worse - i can see strikes, so i switch to small foam roller- that was much better and faster.

John, Michaels store right next to me, can u send link with paint u use, i went to store only can see regular paint.

Whenever I use yellow acrylics, I always add a hint of cheap white acrylic paint or white primer.  I buy the cheapest yellow around (Apple Barrel $2.99 for 8 oz, I think) at Wally World. The paint is thick and I used only 1 coat of yellow for the walls in the gingerbread house.  I did prime it first though.

As for red - red is evil.  All red paint is thin and I think paint companies like to watch us sweat and run to the store because we are out, again.  I usually walk off after 3 coats and come back to it another day. Hahaha