Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Allen L.

C9 & C7 Led Replacement Information

I wanted to share information that I have about C9 and C7 replacement bulbs.  I have always loved the old fashion C9 and C7 Christmas lights.  It's getting harder to find the incandescent replacement bulbs these days.  For years I have not change to LED's because the colors just don't look right.  Many of the LED bulb replacements today are ok but they have a weird “cold color look” to them at night.  They are not very pleasing to the eye like the old incandescent C9's and C7's.

Two years ago I found LED C9 & C7's that come close to the old originals.  You can buy them from "DisplaySales.com". This company sales out of these bulbs every year, so if you want them you will have to be put on a waiting list. I waited over a year to get mine.

http://displaysales.com/Holiday-Decorations-LED-Replacement-Bulbs-Ceramic-LED-Bulbs-C-7-Candelabra/c1_35_62/index.html

The only problem I had was with the orange LED bulbs.  They look more like the red LED’s at night.  I replaced them with the yellow LED’s and the problem was solved.  The yellow LED’s look more like the old orange incandescent bulbs at night.

I attached pictures to show these bulbs.  The brass end bulbs are incandescent and the silver end bulbs are the LED’s. Also, the ones in the garland are incandescent and the others are LED’s.  The house picture does a better job showing what they truly look like

Enjoy.

I too hate the look of led's.  I'd love to switch over to them but I don't think they look very merry at all.  By the way, I can't see the pictures:(

I would like to find an LED replacement for ceramic C9s. This is  the first year I did not put my ceramic C9 incans up, and I missed them. I'd like to be able to line the roof ridge with ceramic C9s next year, but don't want to use the incans again (that's 7A alone for a single string of lights). I looked at the site in your link, but there's not much color selection in the C9 bulbs. Has anyone seen any other options for ceramic LED C9s?

I too hate the look of led's.  I'd love to switch over to them but I don't think they look very merry at all.  By the way, I can't see the pictures:

I had to remove the pictures for more space. Here are the pictures. Some are a little fuzzy from the cheap camera. LOL!  These are C9 ceramic/frosted LEDs from Display Sales. I had to wait over a year to get my order but I think it was worth the wait.  You will not find C9 ceramic/frosted LED replacement bulbs like these in the local stores.

The colors I used were red, green, blue, & yellow. I used yellow because the orange ones look very much like the red ones at night.

Also, stay away from the white bulbs because they have a bluish look.

Enjoy!

I would like to find an LED replacement for ceramic C9s. This is  the first year I did not put my ceramic C9 incans up, and I missed them. I'd like to be able to line the roof ridge with ceramic C9s next year, but don't want to use the incans again (that's 7A alone for a single string of lights). I looked at the site in your link, but there's not much color selection in the C9 bulbs. Has anyone seen any other options for ceramic LED C9s?

They do have other C9 ceramic colors, but if they are not shown on the website then they are sold out. You would have to call them and be placed on their back order list.

The colors they have are red, green, blue, yellow, orange, & white.  

( Stay away from the white ones because they look bluish )

( The yellow C9 LED's look closer to the old C9 incandescent orange bulbs. The C9 LED orange bulbs look to redish )

I recommend the red, green, blue, & yellow C9 ceramic LED's from Display Sales.

Allen, thanks! I'll send an email to the display sales site and ask about some ceramic C9s.

No problem.  I can honestly say these are the only C9 ceramic/frosted LED replacement bulbs I have found that come close to the original C9 ceramic/frosted incandescent bulbs.  I have ordered and tried many C9 LEDs over the past three years but could not find any that had the warm color of the old incandescent C9's.  You will more than likely have to order and wait unit July or August of 2014.

Allen :)

Well, if I can get them in time for the display next year, that will be fine. What sort of spacing are you using on your garland? I'll be using these on a roof ridgeline, which is about 20 feet up and about 75 feet back from the street, so I'm thinking that 12" spacing is a little too far, and maybe I should go to 9 or even 6 inch spacing (I have bunch of old C9 stringers that I can probably add more sockets to).

I need to get up on the roof get some exact measurements, but the ridgeline is roughly 65' across, so I figure I should probably have at least 90-120 bulbs up there (which is why I have to find an LED solution).

Edited by CameronInGA

Well, if I can get them in time for the display next year, that will be fine. What sort of spacing are you using on your garland? I'll be using these on a roof ridgeline, which is about 20 feet up and about 75 feet back from the street, so I'm thinking that 12" spacing is a little too far, and maybe I should go to 9 or even 6 inch spacing (I have bunch of old C9 stringers that I can probably add more sockets to).

I need to get up on the roof get some exact measurements, but the ridgeline is roughly 65' across, so I figure I should probably have at least 90-120 bulbs up there (which is why I have to find an LED solution).

My spacing is 12" apart. I bought a 500 foot spool of 14ga twisted wire with commercial grade C9 "Bakelite" twist on sockets.

http://www.allthingschristmasandmore.com/WL-142AMW-250--Wire-AVM-twisted-14-gauge-black-250-feet-use-with-pro-twist-replacement-sockets_p_2367.html

I really went heavy duty on my lights because I got tired of buying the cheap light strings in stores every 3 years. The sockets would eventually not make good contact with the wire and some of the bulbs would not burn. I patterned my light strings after Mr. Roden's 1965 Bells and C9 lights.

I added some pictures to show what the wire and sockets look like. Very 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's looking. LOL!  You won't see that style in any store! :lol:

Ok, now I'm drooling. There was a thread on here the other day that showed some 1960s-era municipal lighting that I remember from my childhood. Your display has that feel to it.

I don't specifically recall the Santa that is mentioned in that thread, but I do remember the garland and the "sugar plum" lights were criss-crossed over the streets from light pole to light pole.

Edited by CameronInGA

Ok, now I'm drooling. There was a thread on here the other day that showed some 1960s-era municipal lighting that I remember from my childhood. Your display has that feel to it.

I don't specifically recall the Santa that is mentioned in that thread, but I do remember the garland and the "sugar plum" lights were criss-crossed over the streets from light pole to light pole.

Yup! You got it.

My lights and my parents lights are patterned after Mr. Roden's lights. The lights and bells with painted snow on my Grandmother's small house are Mr. Roden's. He got them from a mall that threw them away in 1975-76. The mall originally purchased them in 1965. I was 5 years old when Mr. Roden got them. He would outline his house with the lights and hang the bells at the corners of his house. I love them just as much today as I did then. He is the one who got me hooked on Christmas decorations. When he died in 2002, his wife gave the lights and bells to me. I now honor his memory with my lights and décor and pattern it after his style.

(R.I.P. Mr. Marlon Thomas Roden) I miss him very much, because he was like a Grandfather to me.

The bells, with snow painted on them, hung from the center of the mall ceiling and the lights would swag from ceiling center to the top inside wall in both directions. The original garland deteriorated and had to be thrown away. I replaced the original garland with the pine looking garland you see in the pictures.

The 1960's pictures shown, in the forum link you posted, is the original garland that came with the C9 lights and bells.

Do they make flashers?

Unfortunately, they do not have twinkle/flashers.  The LED C7 and C9 twinkle/flashers are available in the Crystal Cut or Transparent looking LED bulbs only.  I have not found any LED twinkles in the frosted/ceramic look.  

Here are a few sites that sell the twinkle/flashers in LED Transparent and Crystal Cut:

http://www.lnt.com/product/indoor-outdoor-christmas-lights/690637-145104/club-pack-of-25-green-led-transparent-twinkle-c7-christmas-replacement-bulbs.html

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/C7-Christmas-Lights-120V-Twinkle-Multi-LED-Replacement-Bulb-Box-of-25--19460.htm

http://www.actionlighting.com/c7-led-twinkle-faceted-christmas-bulb-candelabra-base-pack-25-bulbs-100c7ledt/

http://www.bronners.com/product/multi-c7-led-twinkle-25-pack.do

I hope this helps. :)