There Is Something About Static Displays

We all know that one guy who has to go all out with hundreds of LOR channels, and do it with the techno songs. There's also the people who go with all LEDs which are power efficient. But there is just something about incandescent lights neatly on a house and bushes with various display elements. Yes the shows are cool but is a 90 year old person with vertigo going to enjoy it? Probably not as much. For some reason i almost like static displays more sometimes. Now if it was between a clean show display and a messy static i would like the show better. Also i do a static display because i can add elements that fit with my display and don't have to figure out how to make them flash to music. Like if i want a 20' snowman next year i can make one with out have to fit it in the programming somewhere. Does anyone look at it how i do? It seems when you drive through a lovely decorated neighborhood, going through with the heat on, and the Christmas music on drinking hot chocolate, that is a Christmas as far as lights go. Not watching lights dance to techno and dubstep that absolutely have nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever. There is just something cool about a neat/clean static display with all incandescent lights, and big c9's or c7's outlining the roof.

My display has 95 inflatables with about 75 blowmolds and other decorations.   In have it set up in different group themes and have it set up so people can walk around.       The light shows are great and take a lot of time and hard work just like mine does, but we like our display.   When I go on Face Book, I see pictures taken in our yard all over the place.   People are amazed when we tell them they can walk around, which we really don;t need to tell them anymore because of all the local press.

There's something very traditional about static displays, especially displays that use "old" technology like painted C9s and blowmolds. I am very much a traditionalist, so I definitely see the appeal in that. I've had had static displays for years, but I really want to move into animated displays. I think it can be done in way that still preserves or at least nods to the "warm, traditional" Christmas display. I do notice that a lot of animated displays use a lot of heavy beat-driven music, and sometimes look like they've been designed to be a club. I certainly don't want to take anything away from the hard work anyone does for their display. I think a big part of the reason I want to move to animated display is because I want to animate to the music I like, which is big band music from the 30's and 40's, novelty songs from the 50's and 60's, patriotic music and maybe even one or two college football fight songs. Each of us expresses our Christmas spirit individually, which is what makes this hobby so great. Christmas is a a big unifying experience, but we each have our unique take on it and want to share that individuality with our communities. However we choose to express that is perfectly valid.

Edited by CLashley

There's something very traditional about static displays, especially displays that use "old" technology like painted C9s and blowmolds. I am very much a traditionalist, so I definitely see the appeal in that. I've had had static displays for years, but I really want to move into animated displays. I think it can be done in way that still preserves or at least nods to the "warm, traditional" Christmas display. I do notice that a lot of animated displays use a lot of heavy beat-driven music, and sometimes look like they've been designed to be a club. I certainly don't want to take anything away from the hard work anyone does for their display. I think a big part of the reason I want to move to animated display is because I want to animate to the music I like, which is big band music from the 30's and 40's, novelty songs from the 50's and 60's, patriotic music and maybe even one or too college football fight songs. Each of us expresses our Christmas spirit individually, which is what makes this hobby so great. Christmas is a a big unifying experience, but we each have our unique take on it and want to share that individuality with our communities. However we choose to express that is perfectly valid.

Very well said. Glad I'm not the only one on here who like the more traditional displays! And people definitely like to design the light shows as they would for a club.

Edited by mwalz

Nothing says you cannot do both.

My display is static white lights from dusk until show time (about an hour).   Then we have the show until a respectable hour (early on weeknights, later on Fri/Sat).  Then it switchs back to static whites for the night.

I do this because I enjoy the static displays myself.  This is what I grew up on...

I like a little of all of it and the setups today I can have it all. I  like traditional static displsys but at the same time nothing is like a house with the club beat remixes thrown into a light show

... I think I could use different shows with traditional songs and another with the club mixes and stuff

I've done statics for decades ; i'm 3rd gen doing it in my family

but I've made the move to animation of lights this season

but like what I've read here i'm a traditionalist with a twist

but my family and i have agreed upbeat Christmas tunes are where  we are drawing the line

i think noelB's mix of statics and then animation is a great idea

that way i keep my family's traditions and still bring the show to the next gen

as it should  be ...

.... to each there own ...

I have always been static at heart. Sounds crazy as I'm running 800+ channels but my animation augments what is a predominantly static display. Most of my lights are on at least 90% of the time with animated elements within the display like stars, leaping deer, birds, fish in the animated stream and of coarse some mega-trees being the exception. I think most of the old timers that started with big static displays never really give them up. Like mine, they come to a comfortable compromise between the two. There is just something about that GLOW!

Bill V, I get tired just looking at your display and thinking of the hours that it takes to do it.    I know the hours (weeks) it takes to do mine.    Like I said before, mine is a different type of display, inflatables and other blow mold types.     Seeing as how I don't even know how to text (sadly true) I would love to stand back and watch you put this out.    

You have a really beautiful display! All I can say is wow!

Thanks, That's my side yard. One of these days I'll figure out how to take a panoramic shot that gets the front and far side as well. All I know is it's a fricken lot of lights.

All I can say is I love my Static!! I will be doing some animation with a Ferris wheel, see saw and carousel and a bit of light control with RGB strips but not set to music more a color/ pattern changing component, I love my 3200 light mega tree and 3000 light tunnel.

I would like to put up some old c9 traditional lights as well because it reminds me of when I was little. But we will see!

post-18990-0-02504200-1387236986_thumb.j

post-18990-0-66157700-1387237030_thumb.j

post-18990-0-28702200-1387237216_thumb.j

Edited by bigstott

My display is static, and due to the nature of the road I live on there really is no opportunity  for anyone to pull over and watch a sequence of several minutes.  Wonder if anyone else has this consideration.

Also my wife would kill me at the cost of all those controllers, but love the displays of those of you that do animate!

All I can say is I love my Static!! I will be doing some animation with a Ferris wheel, see saw and carousel and a bit of light control with RGB strips but not set to music more a color/ pattern changing component, I love my 3200 light mega tree and 3000 light tunnel.

I would like to put up some old c9 traditional lights as well because it reminds me of when I was little. But we will see!

Awesome display! How tall is your mega tree and what kind of pole did you use?

mwalz,

Thank you so much! The mega tree is 20 feet tall from the ground to the top of the star. I used 1 1/4" metal conduit piping. I just dug a hole on the ground and put in a 1 1/2'' sleeve in concrete. This is great so I can just slide the pole in the ground and it's level and sturdy. When I am done take it out, put a cap on the sleeve right a ground level and the rocks cover it right up and you would never see it.

It was really an easy tree to make.     

Edited by bigstott

Timpwk, same goes for me. No room for cars and no money for controllers! Besides, I love a good static display that has a small amount of movement for effect - twinkling lights, a waving hand etc. Seeing a bunch of mini trees flash to the beat of a song is annoying IMHO. I do recognize that it's a lot of work and many people enjoy the animate shows, I am just not one of them.

My display is static, and due to the nature of the road I live on there really is no opportunity  for anyone to pull over and watch a sequence of several minutes.  Wonder if anyone else has this consideration.

Also my wife would kill me at the cost of all those controllers, but love the displays of those of you that do animate!

We are out in the country and hard to find.  If we have 4 cars in one night - it was a busy night.  This is our 5th year.  The animation is as much for us as anyone that might happen by to see it.  That's OK though.  I would not trade living in the city just to have more people see the show.

Tell her that when you animate, the lights are not on as much, as often, or possibly as bright (depending on your sequence).  So you will actually save on electricity instead!!

Edited by NoelB

Before LOR I had wanted the flashy blinky.

I used X10 but they were slow.

I go a controller that flashed the lights from Zellers that lasted 10 minutes before I burnt it up.

Mr Christmas was used for 2 years.(it is used at my office during Christmas and people are amazed by it).

I like static displays and will stop to look at one for a minute or two.

If this was 20 years ago I would have a static display.

But I like the blinky flashy to music.

I love static displays as well. I am at the point that I want to add a lot more......and make the jump to animation.  I plan on using TSO and other Christmas songs too keep it relative to the Holiday.

Here is my display this year.  I took the plunge and bought C9 LED bulbs for my roof and perimeter lighting. The big tree wrapped takes away from the display, and I will do something different with it next year.  I plan on adding mini trees and other items to the yard, as well as doubling the roof lighting.

post-19783-0-46671800-1387453790_thumb.j