Looking For Ideas For How To Narrate My Nativity

toozie21

This year I automated my blowmold nativity so that it turns on in sequence to tell the story (along with a star that physically gets raised).  I think for next year I need to physically tell the story along with the animation to complete the setup, but I am struggling with how to go about it.

One thought I had was an outdoor projector that when triggered would show different slides that told the story, but I am having trouble finding projectors that can do that (as opposed to just showing a single slide all the time).

Another thought was to have a large book (think 3ft tall) that have the pages be physically turned.  I like this idea the best, but I think logistically that could be really tough, and I worry about the wind catching the pages and making it hard on the motor (not sure what the pages would be made out of, wood, coro, etc.).

I also thought about having an MP3 player broadcast the story (I am not broadcasting anything right now), but I am not sure I want to set everything up for a 60sec  of repeating sound, and then I have to worry about switching "tracks" when the microcontroller goes to the next stage.

Lastly, I thought about normal signs that have lights that come on at each stage.  This is pretty easy and wouldn't be much of a step to get to there from what I have, but I think that the signs would be pretty readable even when their light is off, so it isn't super appealing to me.

Anyone have other thoughts?  Just trying to give myself something to noodle over during my commutes.

How does the story get "told" now?  You said the nativity blowmold turns on in sequence and the star raises...is it just a sequence of events that tells the story (without narration, or text on a wall, or anything)?  I'm just trying to get a mental picture of what it is now.

I think the turning pages would be super-cool, but I have no idea how you'd accomplish that.

I go the route of having signs with lights that turn on ('cause that's what I know how to do).  Maybe, instead of a light that turns on, the pages/storyboard could be "revealed".  The pages lay flat (so the text isn't seen), and then raise up and become readable at the appropriate time -- or rotate 180 degrees with an image on the back and the text on the front.

You could go the theatrical route and use a scrim in front of the pages. Light that hits the front, at an angle, will reflect back and make whatever behind it unseen. But with the front light off and the rear light on the rear-lit object can now be seen through the scrim. Even during the day this effect works well.  Go you YouTube and search for "scrim lighting".  You can get scrim material at any fabric place.  Most loosely knit fabric (and cheap fabric with a low thread count) will do this to some extent anyways, some more than others so experimenting helps.

Edited by Russ

How does the story get "told" now?  You said the nativity blowmold turns on in sequence and the star raises...is it just a sequence of events that tells the story (without narration, or text on a wall, or anything)?  I'm just trying to get a mental picture of what it is now.

I have a video, but I need to get it onto youtube first.  You basically have the idea though:

*All is off

*Mary/Joseph and farm animals come on

*Jesus comes on

*The start turns on and then I pull it to its height

*The shepard and his sheep come on

*Lastly the wisemen and a camel come on

*Then they all turn off and the star resets itself

The whole process takes about 55 seconds to go through the progressions.

Yeah, I was trying to workout something for the pages turning, but it seems like it might be too complicated.

The scrim idea is really interesting.  I hadn't heard that term, but I know the effect you are talking about.  I will definitely have to look that up!

I have a video, but I need to get it onto youtube first.  You basically have the idea though:

Just curious if you got the video up on YouTube yet.  I know it's that time of year, and everyone is busy.  But just curious...and I wanted to let you know I'm still interested in seeing this!