Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fsbirdhouse

Christmas Trees Vs Holiday Trees

•  
  •  
  •  
Re: In praise of Fall

icon_post_target.gifby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:18 am

Oh!
For crying out loud, in about three weeks, the day after Thanksgiving, Jan will be pulling down all the Autumn decor, and Thanksgiving night the lighted Snowflakes in the front window will be switched on for the Christmas season.
As trips to the basement see our fall leaves, Pumpkins, and garlands disappear, the trips back up from the basement will see an array of Nutcrackers, pine garlands, strings of lights, snow and icicle birdhouses, Santas, Snowmen, sleighs, and Raindeer begin to fill those vacated spots around the house.
The Christmas CDs will be dusted off, and all the old tunes will gently fill the background quiet. Our library of Christmas movies begin to fill some evenings Leftover Pumpkin pie, and Chocolate cremes from Thanksgiving dinner will be brought out again, and I'll be dying a thousand deaths at the sight of 'em, because I can only have a very little these days. (But!..... by thunder..... I'll have some!)

I always hope to see a little snow falling outside early in the following week, 'cause that's when I traditionally pick out, and decorate the tree.
The last few years have seen us decorate the tree in white lights, hand blown and twisted glass icicles, and white Poinsettias, gold and white balls, but I think I'd like to go with multi colored lights, lots of multi colored glass balls, the old bubble lights, and just walls of tinsel icicles this year.
(I was planning to do a fully flocked live tree this year but may be having son, grandaughter, and his mini Schnauzer living with us by then, and I don't know about all that and snow flocking!)
We still do the live tree every year, and I like the natural pine aroma in the living room. Sometimes mixed with whatever Yankee candle Jan chooses to light for that day.
Of course, all that has to share the air with those aromas wafting out of the kitchen.
We still have small grandkids, so the sugar cookies cut into trees, Snowmen, and Santas with appropriate frosting designs, bowls full of traditional hard candies, mixed nuts, homemade fudge, Turtles, and the filbert nut cookies covered with confectioners powdered sugar will in great quantity be found everywhere around the house (as well as the crumbs!).
Of course there are Jan's homemade beef sausages, wild duck and goose pepperoni sticks I'm having made now, various little Holiday dainties we may have found at Sam's Club, or elsewhere. Food! What would any of the Autumn/Winter Holidays be without the magnificent varieties to be found then?

Aha! The presents! The tree will stand above a veritable mound of brightly wrapped gifts stacked tall, and so wide the tree will scarcely be approached closer than two full arm lengths by Christmas Eve.

Guests will arrive thru the holidays from time to time, and those will always be offered their choice of Martinelli's sparkling cider, Eggnog (Spiked or straight), and the kids will be given Sprite and Sherbert floats.
(Love to pump the little tykes full of sugar, so their parents can enjoy watching them loose their little minds on the way home)
Yup! It's not so far off until the Christmas season.
Love this time of year!