Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mwalz

When Are After Christmas Sales

When do the big box stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, and Home Depot do their sales? They might already have sales going on, i haven't looked yet. I got some extra Christmas money so i was thinking maybe more lights...lol

Edited by mwalz

Target here was at 30% before Christmas. Although, even with the discount, LEDs were the same price as the presale LEDs from the vendors here. Walmart is typically 50% starting tomorrow and 75% shortly after Jan 1.

I found a great deal yesterday at Hobby Lobby.  Bought 50 boxes of red, 100 count incandescent lights at 66% off.  Seems the color incans are getting harder and harder to find.

Well i would be happy with a few boxes just because i feel like I'm getting a deal. Lights never last past 50% off where i live. I want to get a couple more artificial trees but i will wait until those are on sale for $5. Well i will try tomrow, and then i might even ask the manager when the %75 off is. Even at %25 the lights are going to go fast.

i completely stopped shopping the bigbox stores,even at post xmas sales once I switched to LEDs,as all they sell are the replaceable bulb type,which are much more prone to failure than the sealed one piece type the vendors here sell.Quality over quantity.

i completely stopped shopping the bigbox stores,even at post xmas sales once I switched to LEDs,as all they sell are the replaceable bulb type,which are much more prone to failure than the sealed one piece type the vendors here sell.Quality over quantity.

Well i would buy the better quality items, but i just cannot justify the price of them. i have a hard time paying money for LEDs as it is. Example walmart has 50ct strands for $6 i think. I fell that is a little much but then again i'm only 16 and don't really have solid income at this point.

Looks like the sales are over. The local stores where I live, Lowes, HomeDepot, Big Lots, CVS, RiteAid and others started marking down their Christmas lights a week ago. Yesterday I noticed 50% off or more and several stores had nothing left. Lowes, HomeDepot on Sunday had already cleared out all of their Christmas items. I talked to a couple of shelf stockers at the different stores and they told me they began throwing away what didn't sell. One the the shelf stockers showed me the garbage bin where he had been throwing away the merchandise. It looks like the stores feel it is more profitable to toss the stuff then to mark it down anymore and use the shelf space for more profitable merchandise. We do live in a capitalist society where it's all about maximizing profits.

Well i would buy the better quality items, but i just cannot justify the price of them. i have a hard time paying money for LEDs as it is. Example walmart has 50ct strands for $6 i think. I fell that is a little much but then again i'm only 16 and don't really have solid income at this point.

Walmart $6 for a 50 count strand of crappy LEDs is exactly my point......if you purchase through one of the vendors here during their presales,you can get a 50 count strand of much higher quality sealed LEDs for about the exact same price.........and it wont rust,corrode,and be ready for the landfill after a season or two like the bigbox junk,making the true long term cost to own much cheaper than the bigbox crap     .Never confuse price with cost!

I buy nothing but GKI lights. These are true "professional grade" that display companies  use. Though they are around $5 for a 50 light string, I have some strings that are in excess of 20 years old now, so I'm well money ahead. I put the year they went into service on the plug with a paint marker, and have some going back to 1988!!!!.

Bottom line is, I will never buy those cheap big box store lights, and throw them away after 2 years.

Yup,I have tons of GKI/Bethlehem incandescent light sets,top quality and their "heavy duty" line ,while expensive at $20-25 per 100 count string are fantastic as they use .75 watt 5 volt bulbs that are the brightest mini lights on the market,,but they are energy hogs at a rated 72 watts per string. They have proven to outlast all the generic no name throw-away junk most people are happy to waste their dollars and time on.I have found their LED offerings to be of similar,but not better quality than what our vendors here are selling however.

I expect to see most,if not all of the GKI/Bethlehem incandescent line to disappear soon as despite their high quality,the price they must charge to offer that level of construction is making them uncompetitive as LEd prices contine to fall.

My guess is you aren't paying for the electricity to light the lights. Several weeks ago i made a post comparing the cost of incandescents and LEDs costing $9 more per sting. To my surprise if the lights are on for 30 days in December four hours a night in 3 years LEDs will have paid for themselves in energy savings in just three years. And that includes the $9 premium LEDs cost. Not factored in was breakage, inflation, interest or increases in the cost of energy.

Of course as we build or mega-displays do we really care about the costs?

Christmas Eve I made a quick dash around town to see what was in stock with the weather they way it has been stocks are goodI went online ordered from Home Depot and I am working on Target. HD is at 50% here Target 40% so after my order and next day mark down I am hoping they will discount me back the money lol...

Walmart no go still same pricing, but I will find out Thursday. 

My guess is you aren't paying for the electricity to light the lights. Several weeks ago i made a post comparing the cost of incandescents and LEDs costing $9 more per sting. To my surprise if the lights are on for 30 days in December four hours a night in 3 years LEDs will have paid for themselves in energy savings in just three years. And that includes the $9 premium LEDs cost. Not factored in was breakage, inflation, interest or increases in the cost of energy.

Of course as we build or mega-displays do we really care about the costs?

Well even if i did have to pay the whole electric bill it is only about $80 more for December so if it was my house i still would probably not buy the expensive LEDs, my lights from walmart last a while as log as i fix them with my trusty light keeper pro. That thing has saved me lots of money by fixing lights.

I did ok.  Bought 64 boxes of clear incan 100 count last week at $2.50.  Got Home Depot to honor the sale price from today so ended up paying $1.25/box. Purchased another 54 boxes this a.m.  HD had 50 count multis for 2.93 so I picked up 26 of those.  Got the 180 count C3 leds at Sam's.  And a big 21" fiber optic ornament too!  lol

I also have 40 boxes of 100 count multi incans on the way from HD from last week.  I had a coupon which made them the same price as today.

2013-12-26094923_zps55c0854e.jpg

Edited by juicedss

For the Canadians out there, Wal Mart and Superstore have all Christmas stuff 50% off.  Lights were really picked over but there were lots of reindeer wireframes in Langford and Victoria.  Heading to Target now.

juicedss

juicedss were the fiber optic ornament on sale just bought 1 of the 21" and 1 27" they look good at night would get a couple more if they are on sale.

It was $39.00.