Back After A Long Hiatus!

I haven't been in the forums for several years now.  About 6 years ago I started on my quest to create my first Christmas display.  Then 6 months later I became pregnant with twins.  I managed to get my first display up when I was 12 weeks pregnant, it was a fourth of July display.  You can see a video from that display here https://vimeo.com/6253717 (there are others from the show on my vimeo channel)  Someone on this forum helped me by sending 4 custom light strands that were made for the top of each pole, they had 6 C7 connections.  I never asked this person to make them for me they simply offered, which shows the generosity of the people on this forum.  Sorry I can't remember who you were, since the boards have changed since that time and I no longer have the messages that you sent me.  I was also able to put up my first Halloween display that same year at 6 1/2 months pregnant, and my babies were born 2 weeks later!

I have spent several years working on my Christmas display, I have 96 channels sitting in the garage, and endless amount of extension cords, and have never had the display up.  The main issue is that once I did all of the calculations, I realized that I needed to put in a sub panel in my garage.  I have no idea how to go about this.  I know that I need to hire an electrician, but will it seem strange that I want a subpanel in the garage with a gazillion outlets, also in the garage? I really want to put up my Christmas display next year for my children who will be 5 by then and at the age where they will appreciate the display.  I also do a lot of work for a couple of animal rescue groups, including fostering dogs, and I would like to try to raise money for them next year.  

Since the kids have been born, I have only been able to put up the Halloween display once.  They were just over two years old, and seem to enjoy it.  You can see some video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqIo7COloQk (at about 1 minute in you see more of the show) and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7qMLqWEsw (this is more of just their reaction).  So I know I need a subpanel for the Christmas show because the Halloween show is only 64 channels and uses mostly mini's while the Christmas show is more C7's.  When the Halloween show is running, the lights in the house go dim.

I've been browsing the forums for the last several hours, and I'm getting the bug again from watching all of your videos from your displays this year.  I especially like the new ideas of the spiral trees and the corkscrews!  Gotta figure out how to get that into my show.  I'm getting lots of inspiration and drive to set up both the Halloween and Christmas show in 2014.

So thank you all for your support over the last several years during my journey to learning about animated lighting.  I knew nothing until I found this forum!

Wishing you all the best for the holidays and a bright and happy new year in 2014!

Beth

P.S.  I was very sad to learn today that Dave Severns in San Jose passed away last year from cancer and that show is no longer running.  Dave and I exchanged several emails in 2008 when I was first starting out and he was extremely helpful and giving with his information.

Edited by bbbear97

I am still new around here.. but welcome back Beth.. glad to hear the addition was only hiding.. the current members have been very wonderful.. now my daughter is getting involved.. She helped with the design and sequence work (we did some) and is helping with the ideas for 2014..