Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Allen L.

Information About General Plastics Co.

I wanted to share this information about General Plastics Co.

This company was located in Marion Indiana. They made Commercial/Municipal Christmas Decorations back in the 1960's.

***This Company is still in Business** :o

One of their employees, named David Loer, purchased the company and changed the name to GP Designs Inc.

http://www.gpdesigns.biz/About-Us

They made the Santa "CLETE", "TRANS-GLO Green Garland", "Sugar Plums", and Large Red Bells shown in the forum linked below:

They still make and sell old style 1960's & 70's Christmas Decorations that many of us remember seeing as kids.

Do these look familiar? ;)

Dude, This rocks.. I have a phone meeting with a member of the city tomorrow to discuss the vision of the city lights display. its the first of many meetings i hope. This is wonderful that we still have access to this type of city display equipment. Talk about nostalgia (hope I spelled it right). I want the lanterns for my home.. but my wife would probably kill me when she saw how much they are considering she just found out how much I am paying for my LOR controllers.. (each)

Dude, This rocks.. I have a phone meeting with a member of the city tomorrow to discuss the vision of the city lights display. its the first of many meetings i hope. This is wonderful that we still have access to this type of city display equipment. Talk about nostalgia (hope I spelled it right). I want the lanterns for my home.. but my wife would probably kill me when she saw how much they are considering she just found out how much I am paying for my LOR controllers.. (each)

I hope the phone meeting is successful.  I love these old style decorations GP Designs still makes.  I wish more town and cities would start buying these and go away from the boring snow flakes and flags.

I forgot to add these pictures of items that GP Designs also makes:

The lighted Santa and Snowman shown below are 7.5 feet tall.  The outdoor lighted Christmas tree shown below comes in heights of 8, 12, 16, 21, & 25 feet tall.

Enjoy.

Allen

Edited by Allen L.

This is great!  I LOVE the commercial decorations from the 60-70's.    These are what I remember as a kid from a small town in Missouri. 

There is also a company in Independence, MO, Manneco, that still makes some of the old style pole-mounts and also sells used and refurbished decorations.

http://www.manneco.com/

This is great!  I LOVE the commercial decorations from the 60-70's.    These are what I remember as a kid from a small town in Missouri. 

There is also a company in Independence, MO, Manneco, that still makes some of the old style pole-mounts and also sells used and refurbished decorations.

http://www.manneco.com/

TY Jrigs.. I am trying to get more and more info.. The City telephone meeting went very well.. now we are approaching the council members one by one to get a feel of what the council likes/dislikes.. Its their bill.. so they gotta like what we are doing to approve it... 

TY Jrigs.. I am trying to get more and more info.. The City telephone meeting went very well.. now we are approaching the council members one by one to get a feel of what the council likes/dislikes.. Its their bill.. so they gotta like what we are doing to approve it... 

Hope everything goes well.   Mannco Inc. sells decorations made by Cystal Valley.  Crystal Valley does sell old style pole decorations and the old big "Angle Cut Garland".

GP Design and Crystal Valley are the two major municipal decoration manufacturers.  GP Design has large blow mold Lanterns and Bells with their decorations. 

Here are pictures of Crystal Valley's Vintage looking municipal decorations and Large Green "Angle Cut Garland" garland:

I love the wreaths but boy are they pricey.. 

I am thinking for the big intro to the city, we may get a welder to create the welcome to the city sign.. helps a local vendor and makes it more cost effective for the city... the council is big on using local vendors when possible..

Edited by Sidetrack73

I love the wreaths but boy are they pricey.. 

I am thinking for the big intro to the city, we may get a welder to create the welcome to the city sign.. helps a local vendor and makes it more cost effective for the city... the council is big on using local vendors when possible..

Yes, they are pricey but beautiful.

I like the idea of using a local welder.  Saving money on items like that, will help you get more display for the dollars spent.  The pictures should help them know, what they can and can't recreate in their local shop.

******See Picture Below*****

For example: If they could recreate the light pole scoll with C9 lights and garland, then you would only have to buy the lantern or bell to hang from it.  (This idea would work, only if the price is lower than buying the complete set from GP Designs)

post-18713-0-18809000-1388353204.jpg

What ever you and the city decide, I hope it turns out great.  Be sure to take lots of pictures and share on the progress.

Allen :)

Edited by Allen L.

Allen, there is a 3rd company called Carpenter decorating that is probably the largest of the three.  They seem to be the leader of the industry these days.

-Ken

Allen, there is a 3rd company called Carpenter decorating that is probably the largest of the three.  They seem to be the leader of the industry these days.

-Ken

do you have a website?

Allen,.. I probably ought to start a thread outside of this one then... so others can provide feedback and and see the progress as it comes along.. (what do you think?) This may (I hope) be a long project... and could be big.. or they decide its too much and halt. either way it still I think will be a great learning and experimenting experience for me.. 

Edited by Sidetrack73

-Ken

Thanks Ken

I have never heard of Carpenter.  I will have to investigate them.

do you have a website?

Allen,.. I probably ought to start a thread outside of this one then... so others can provide feedback and and see the progress as it comes along.. (what do you think?) This may (I hope) be a long project... and could be big.. or they decide its too much and halt. either way it still I think will be a great learning and experimenting experience for me.. 

Here is their website: http://www.carpenterdecorating.com/

Starting a new thread is a good idea.  I would like to see what other information is out there too.

I did look at Carpenter and they do have some vintage looking decorations, but no Lanterns or Bells.  In my opinion, if you are wanting more of the nostalgic feel and look, Crystal Valley and GP Designs has a bigger selection. Carpenter has more wire frames without garland on them. Go to their website and take a look at their catalog.

Here is their website: http://www.carpenterdecorating.com/

someone really needs to check their source code on the website. ton of dead links.. and the file links themselves point to files on users desktops? ok... I do their website, they give me my decorations... ??

Your right about their website.  I think you have to go to a distributors website to order Carpenters decorations.

ok. I am trying to find a good place to post as a new thread for starting.. but man.. where this would fit into any of them.. I have no clue.. any ideas?

ok. I am trying to find a good place to post as a new thread for starting.. but man.. where this would fit into any of them.. I have no clue.. any ideas?

I'm not sure.  I thought about "Community Wide Announcements"?  I wish we had a "Municipal Decorations" area on Planet Christmas. 

I have sent a message to Chuck Smith, requesting his help with finding a place for this topic.  I hope we can get a "Municipal Decorations" folder added.

Allen

ty Allen... many times over... for everything including all the research and feedback you have given.. has been a massive help.. 

I have sent a message to Chuck Smith, requesting his help with finding a place for this topic.  I hope we can get a "Municipal Decorations" folder added.

Allen

I see that Chuck has responded and set up a new "Municipal Decorations" sub forum in this section.  Thank you Chuck and Allen, it is good to see an area for these great decorations.

Mel

I see that Chuck has responded and set up a new "Municipal Decorations" sub forum in this section.  Thank you Chuck and Allen, it is good to see an area for these great decorations.

Mel

No problem Mel.  I've been worried about posting some of the municipal information here, because it really got away from talking about blow molds.  I'm glad to have a dedicated place for this subject .

I wish I could take all of the older municipal post and move then into this new sub forum.  Oh well, I'm just glad to finally have a place for it.

Allen

wonder if chuck can do so.. I'm sure the software allowed it in older versions.. but its been a few years since I ran this brand of forums software.. 

Edited by Sidetrack73

No problem Mel.  I've been worried about posting some of the municipal information here, because it really got away from talking about blow molds.  I'm glad to have a dedicated place for this subject .

I wish I could take all of the older municipal post and move then into this new sub forum.  Oh well, I'm just glad to finally have a place for it.

Allen

If you can give Chuck links to the threads you would like moved there he could possibly do that, I know they used to move threads in the past when they were posted in the wrong forums.

Mel

If you can give Chuck links to the threads you would like moved there he could possibly do that, I know they used to move threads in the past when they were posted in the wrong forums.

Mel

Thanks Mel

I will try to find them and send the threads to Chuck.

Allen

I will pass this along to our local town facebook page. We had a big stink about this for season 2013. Our courthouse square used to do a pretty nice display with the light pole decorations & the whole courtyard decorated. This year they only had a maybe 15' real tree with some c7's strewn about, a couple poles & a tiny nativity piece. There were maybe 20 light poles decorated in a 2 mile radius. They didn't even bother to change out bad bulbs. Everybody was in an uproar about it. The parish president claimed that everything was outdated & that new decorations were in the works for 2014. HUMMMMM I think I need to pass along this info & hopefully we can have a better 2014.

Thanks!!