scouring the internet today and came acrossed a video on home made zip cord extension cords and the guy has me wondering. He went on about the positive and neutral sides of the cord and the ends. All the cords i've made work and I have never checked this should I worry? Thanks :unsure:

I suppose if one is making just a single cord it wouldn't matter.  But if you are making a 100' with multiple male and female plugs running off a single line it may make a difference.  I always use the ribbed side/ wide prong as the ground, because lamps, mixers, and other commercially made electrical devices do this.  The wide slot in an electrical outlet is normally attached to the white wire.

Edited by piloto3524

As mentioned above, the rib should go to the wide blade, which is neutral.  But be careful not to think it is ground even if they are bound together in the panel.  White is neutral, green is ground, black is hot.

If your wire doesn't have a rib, then it will have some other marker, like lettering.