Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
overeazy

Rgb Dumb Pixels

Lee,

I did dabble with Nutcracker and Xlights and thought they were pretty cool.  I went with LSP because of the fact that I wanted to apply effects to the whole display.  Additionally... we moved into a new house in the fall of 2012 (didn't run much of a display in 2012) and I had to completely blow up my old sequences anyway and start from scratch... so it was a good time to make a grand switch of everything, including sequencing software.  I wasn't trying to "add in" new effects... if I had, I probably would have stuck with my LOR sequences and tried to mix the new stuff in...  There are plenty of tutorials for LSP that show how to do many/most of the cool effects that Nutcracker does.  I don't know that pulling those effects off in LSP is quite as easy as it was in Nutcracker, but it isn't impossible.

-Louie

Louie,

Yes I am working on the LSP sequences already for 2014 Christmas. I think what happened the first time is I imported the LOR sequences and then added my pixel tree and the way LSP does the whole channel count I screwed it up and could not get anything to work correctly. It is going much smoother starting from scratch.

Cheers,

Lee

$350.00 for LSP? Wow. Unfortunately with my budget...just can't do that. I am a middle school band director by trade and my "Light Budget" comes out of teaching band camps, judging contests and teaching lessons in the summer. Sooooo... I guess it will be Nutcracker and LOR for me.  I like the thickness of your tree as well. Guess that spacing and 48 strings (wow) is the reason why. I still may just have to look at the 270 tree, just for cost. I could possibly go with 24 strings with the 4.5 spacing and at 10ft...but might end up pretty thin :-(  Fingers crossed. Maybe a judging gig will come my way soon! 8-)

There are plenty of amazing megatrees with far fewer strings than I use and they probably look equally good as mine does.  And there are plenty of folks using HLS, Nutcracker, Xlights, etc, that do just as nice of a job sequencing (if not nicer) than I can probably do with LSP... I tend to overkill things spend too much money for stuff...

-Louie

Hi Robert,

I haven't recorded any "good" video yet.  This year was a nightmare for me.  After getting the ten twig/stick trees done by August/September, my second RGB/power supply/cabling order to China was placed 9/02 and didn't arrive until 11/30.  I had essentially 3-4 weeks to build 11 controllers into casing (the power supplies and cabling were part of the order from China), attach 2400 RGB pixels to PVC pipe for use on the megatree, string up another 50-80 strings of RGB lights total in the yard, etc... needless to say, I didn't even get around to the other parts of my display that I've been using for years (Merry Christmas sign, snowflakes, etc.) and the minitrees didn't even make it into my sequencing (they are in the yard).  I didn't even get any of the RGB stuff on the house... I was left to focus on the yard... and no music... just generic animation, which wasn't completed until 1AM the night before we were leaving to go spend time with family for Christmas...

All that said... here is a video  ;)

https://vimeo.com/82357322

And, yes, I experienced some data issues, which have now been fixed... it turns out, sending 20,000 channels worth of information out over a 100 foot CAT6 cable into daisy-chained 5-port switches is not a good idea... I moved to a dedicated 16-port switch and a 75 foot cable and the effects are MUCH smoother in the difficult section of the sequences, which are the rainbow effects.  I don't plan on using rainbow effects when I move to my real sequences, but they are the most difficult for the hardware to playback because every single pixel has some data being sent to it... kind of like benchmarking a PC...

-Louie

Are you planning on reposting the video link to your mega tree with all the channels?  It's pretty awesome and I had hoped to show it to a friend.

Now I'm leaning towards getting smart pixels. I already have a power supply for my dumb strips, and I've been using LOR for about 5 years. I know more or less which pixels i want, but I don't understand which controller I would need. Does it HAVE to be dmx, cause I'm not at all familiar with it. I'm tempted to just buy the 50ct and controller that LOR sells for $300 cause I know it's LOR and no learning curve and already comes with what I need. But if there is a way of saving some money or getting more for my buck, then I'm interested in that too.

The only controller that lor sells for smart rgb's   come with lights attached    #ccr's   $250.00   CCP100D pixels   $239.95     CCB-100Bulbs   $289.095   they don't have a  smart pixel controller by itself

The DMX most of us are using is E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet). So if you decide to go that route then you would look at a controller like the J1sys P12x or the San Device E68x. Both are great controllers. I use the P12S model personally. I drive my show with LOR but programming smart pixels a that are not LOR in LOR is very time consuming. So I use Xlights/Nutcracker to make my pixel sequences then copy into LOR. If you decide to go into the smart pixel lighting there are plenty of us to help you.

Lere

Yea I get that, but since I will be starting over by replacing all my dumb strips it seems like buying a controller with lights attached isn't a bad idea. Just not sure if there is a better alternative.

You might look at Seasonal Entertainments website for smart pixels  it's still dmx but he sells everything as a package

I honestly don't believe the LOR solution will be that much easier to use compared to the greatly increased cost. If you get one string and a controller for $300, but are planning on buying let's say 12 of those it would be thousands if dollars. Or you could get the p12s that Lee mentioned and 12 x 100 count strings to plug into that controller for around $750. And that is a pretty easy solution. You could knock that down to right around $600 with a little more work required (using an e6804) controller. I had been using exclusively LOR hardware and software since 2006 and made the jump to pixels and dumb nodes this year and it was well worth it. Instead of 75,000 lights and 192 channels of control I will end up with around 25,000 lights and probably 35,000 channels of control based on my balance of pixels to dumb nodes.... just took down my display this past weekend, which used to take 3-4 weeks... did it in one day... coming to you live from Tapatalk

I'm replacing some dumb strips I got off eBay. They've already been taken to the dump. They worked fine for 2 years but then started acting up. Several sections were a different color or not lit up at all. I would be looking at outlining my roofline and garage so I think I would need 3 of what LOR has. I'm also tempted to use my CCR's that are currently used as a tree to outline my roofline, but I hate how fragile they are.