Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joesmoe2013

Disney's Osbourne Lights

Got the chance to pick the brain of the guy running the show last night. Talked to him for about 45 minutes gathering info and insight on the show, set up, maintenance and break down. I was amazed when he said all lights are stripped down for recycling every year. 5 million lights brand new every year. Also they put up the 70' mega tree in only 2 days. That's pretty quick for 100k in lights. No connectors were taped, only zip tied together. All lights were sealed. Overall I took a lot of pics and will use the ideas next year at home. (He actually said they try to make their display so it can be replicated at home). Great time, sucks today is the last day they have em up.

So,they actually throw away sealed LEDs after only 1 years usage? Wow,how environmentally and fiscally unsound is that? My bet is the chance of  new strings having a few problems is greater than reusing the ones that made it through the  1 year use period.

There is word that the show is being phased out for Star Wars and cars land. Any word on the future of the display?

They will probably move it. Disney promised to give it a permanent home when they signed the deal. Plus so many people come for the lights

So,they actually throw away sealed LEDs after only 1 years usage? Wow,how environmentally and fiscally unsound is that? My bet is the chance of new strings having a few problems is greater than reusing the ones that made it through the 1 year use period.

Supposedly the Florida temperatures and UV rays--even after one season--dramatically increase the failure rate of "used" LED strings to unacceptable levels for a Disney commercial display.  And while it may seem wasteful and environmentally damaging, these lights don't head to a nearby landfill.  Instead they get shipped to China, where there are a multitude of christmas light recycling process plants.  They grind the lights and mix with water to form a sludge that enables separation of the components (copper, brass, glass and insulation), most often to 95%+ purity levels.  If interested in a more detailed look, watch the video here:

http://www.opb.org/news/blog/ecotrope/what-happens-to-recycled-christmas-lights/

They will probably move it. Disney promised to give it a permanent home when they signed the deal. Plus so many people come for the lights

My understanding is that Disney originally signed a 10 year deal with Jennings Osborne in 1995 or so and that it was renewed for another 10 years in 2005ish.  Word is that now that Jennings has passed, his family is looking to get paid for the next deal.  The prior deal had the Osbornes being comped vacations in return for the lights.  The time seems right for Disney to cut ties with the Osbornes.  

There are also rumors that Disney will eventually turn the great light fight into a competition to decorate a section of Disney World.

Who knows.  That is just what I have heard on some podcasts.

Which pod

My understanding is that Disney originally signed a 10 year deal with Jennings Osborne in 1995 or so and that it was renewed for another 10 years in 2005ish.  Word is that now that Jennings has passed, his family is looking to get paid for the next deal.  The prior deal had the Osbornes being comped vacations in return for the lights.  The time seems right for Disney to cut ties with the Osbornes.  

There are also rumors that Disney will eventually turn the great light fight into a competition to decorate a section of Disney World.

Who knows.  That is just what I have heard on some podcasts.

Which podcasts have you heard that on? I haven't listened to my "Inside The Magic" podcast "Ear In Review" yet...so wasn't sure if it was on that. Am a "Disney" fanatic as well ;-)

Got the chance to pick the brain of the guy running the show last night. Talked to him for about 45 minutes gathering info and insight on the show, set up, maintenance and break down. I was amazed when he said all lights are stripped down for recycling every year. 5 million lights brand new every year. Also they put up the 70' mega tree in only 2 days. That's pretty quick for 100k in lights. No connectors were taped, only zip tied together. All lights were sealed. Overall I took a lot of pics and will use the ideas next year at home. (He actually said they try to make their display so it can be replicated at home). Great time, sucks today is the last day they have em up.

How did you find the guy and get to talk to him for 45 minutes? I thought they discontinued the backstage tour that was specifically centered around the Osbourne light display.

How did you find the guy and get to talk to him for 45 minutes? I thought they discontinued the backstage tour that was specifically centered around the Osbourne light display.

First off that night it wasn't to busy, being the last night of the lights.  It wasn't really hard to find out who it was, just seen the dude standing there with an ipad looking at all the lights in a roped off area.  Also I'm a pretty chatty fellow, so I'm not scared to walk up to any castmember and strike up a conversation.  Couple years ago I struck up a conversation in downtown Disney with a guy who turned out to be the executive that oversees the St. Patty's Day celebration (which is a lot bigger now than just 3 years ago.)

I as well got to view the display this year.  I can't believe that they use all NEW lights every year!  It was a good display and I wish I could have met the guy who is in charge if it!

I as well got to view the display this year.  I can't believe that they use all NEW lights every year!  It was a good display and I wish I could have met the guy who is in charge if it!

Me and the wife went back this December for a few days.  Not recommended that you go on the weekends.  Wow was it busy.

I went on New Year's Eve. It was nuts, crazy, insane packed! But still completely awesome and worth the trip. It was fun standing under the Rgb tunnel during the show. It's was a funny turn of events where I usually am the one standing around while the kids are super excited at magic kingdom and this time they were standing there watching me in excitement taking pictures with my phone. I'm pretty sure I am going to decorate my house like one of the buildings next year!!

post-20454-0-92138800-1420771378_thumb.jpost-20454-0-31833800-1420771246_thumb.j

I love going to Disney, especially for the lights.  I'm really disappointed overall with the rgb archway.  Considering what a lot of you guys do on here with rgb lights, I would think Disney imagineers could really do something cool.  But it seems to be lacking with the resources they do have.

I would love to see their display but being located in Missouri it would be a huge trip to it. I guess Disney has to0ns of money to waste on lights every year lol

I've seen it and it is ALL that everyone says that it is.

Pictures do not do it justice and if you have never seen it in person all I can say is WOW!!!!!

I blame those lights on my addiction! It all started 5 years ago...prior to going to Disney all I had was icicle lights on the roof line....after seeing that display I was hooked on making my lights sequence to music....and added a few thousand more.

It is impressive in person!

I've never seen it at Disneyland but I used to see it every year when it was at their house!

TED

I've never seen it at Disneyland but I used to see it every year when it was at their house!

TED

Do you have any pictures of it? Or maybe your family does? Would love if you shared them!