C9 Led Light Strings?

C9 LED light strands are horrible dim little things,which is why the vendors market empty c9 stringers{the cord set with sockets installed} and retrofit screw in LED C9 bulbs that you purchase and screw into the stringer yourself- the difference is the quality c9 retrofit bulbs actually have 5 LEDs in each bulb compared to the  prepackaged bigbox c9 strands that only have 1 LED in each c9 bulb,making them much brighter and easier to repair if a single bulb develops a problem= also the stringers can be easily cut to custom size to fit your exact needed lengths,the strands can not..

C9 LED light strands are horrible dim little things,which is why the vendors market empty c9 stringers{the cord set with sockets installed} and retrofit screw in LED C9 bulbs that you purchase and screw into the stringer yourself- the difference is the quality c9 retrofit bulbs actually have 5 LEDs in each bulb compared to the  prepackaged bigbox c9 strands that only have 1 LED in each c9 bulb,making them much brighter and easier to repair if a single bulb develops a problem= also the stringers can be easily cut to custom size to fit your exact needed lengths,the strands can not..

thanks for the input.  i understand and i know the difference as i have over 1,000 that outline my roof.  are they horrible? not really.. especially when the lights you are talking about run $1+ per bulb plus the string/strings.. i would be looking at $1500 or more for faceted lights that i dont care for.

Edited by gc75067

guess you could look for GE brand or other c9 strands at the bigbox,I saw many recently at Hd/Lowes -may be able to find some great deals now? Many find them rather dim compared to the retrofits, and some have had issues with the plastic covers either filling with water,or popping off are probably some reasons most vendors dont seem to carry them.

Edited by merrymidget

for at least our factory (and typically true for most), the 5mm, M5, C6, C7 and C9 are all the same LED strand, just with a different lens. So when you go with C7 and C9 it is not really that great. 

So what I would recommend, is that if c6 would work with you, go with that, as it will look nicer than C9 strands. That, or go with the retro fit bulbs, although the price isn't as nice, it will look a lot better. 

This was my first year decorating and I can attest to the C9 retrofit bulbs looking really bright and vibrant.  I am starting small and so this year I only outlined by roof and gutter with C9 retrofit bulbs and my windows with store bought C6 stringers.  Although that is all I did initially, my house looked more vibrant than any houses in the neighborhood.  I then added icicles purchased from HLE and my house stuck out like a sore thumb in term of brightness and color vibrancy.

I am a firm believer in these C9 retrofits.  Sure the costs are so much more, but the color and brightness makes it worth it for me.  Next year I will be adding C7 bulbs to outline by garage and front entry and C6 stringers from PC vendors.  If the C7 bulbs looks as good as the C9 bulbs, then I may just replace all C6 stringers with C7 bulbs as far as outlining my house.

The only caveat with the crystal lens retrofit C9 and C7 bulbs is that you need to point them out toward the street for the wow factor.  If they are pointing up or down, then I would say the effect is not so impressive and I would be questioning why I spent all the money compared to the store bought stringers.

Does anyone know how the other lenses compare to the crystal lens? 

Edited by mifronte