Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Chrisp

Ray Wu Is Amazing

Curious - did you call him to order or did you go through web site?  I heard calling him you may catch a break on the shipping costs.

I used the chat room on his site to chat with him and gave hyperlinks and quantity's and he sent me a PI (quote) to my e-mail and all the info I needed to order from him and of course asked for a tracking number when he shipped out. Ordered on a Monday and received on Thursday the same week.

There is money to be saved on shipping when you chat with him instead of using the aliba site. Also Ray does accept paypal.

Smart LED STRIP RGB WS2811 IC chips SMD5050

30pcs 5050 RGB LED With 10paths driver IC inside to drive 10 pixels,Connecting with the controller can get more than 80 programs which are various color changing and almost magic effect

1. Model: 5050RGB WS2811
  2. Input voltage: DC12V 
  3. Current: 3.2A
  4. Led Qty:  30per SMD 5050 meter
  5. Wave length(NM):R-650mcd, G-520mcd,B-460mcd
  6. Power(W/M):7.68W/M
  7. Signal: WS2811 chip
  8. View angle:120 degree
  9. Life span:no less than 50000hrs
  10. Dimension:1000*14*2.2mm
  11. Packaging:5M/reel in antistatic bag
  12. Waterproof

Is this the same as the CCR? Just wondering.

They are not quite the same. CCR's are made with LPD6803 ic chips. That have 32 brightness levels and have a 4 wire connector. The ws2811 above have 256 brightness levels and use a 3 wire connector. The strip is made similar to the CCR in the fact it has 3 RGB LEDs to one pixel.

The strip above only describes one meter of strip not 5 meters like the CCRs.

WS2811 can do everything the CCR can do. I see no difference in them. Anyone that uses them do you see a difference in them? The only thing I saw when I got them is they were GBR instead of RGB but a quick fix using the E-682 controller just change the ID name from RGB to GBR and now they react as if they are RGB now. Ray does claim they are the exact same thing I have had no problems with them at all and VERY HAPPY with RAY SERVICES. AWESOME!!! I have to say Thank You Frank for teaching me all this with out Frank I was in the dark.

A little to late on answering,but  Ray's strips are 5 meters just like the CCR ribbon. Well it all comes down to what you can afford to spend as well. I don't know how much the CCR ribbon with controller and power supply is what $250.00 plus shipping x 12 CCR ribbons is $3,000.00 somewhere in that neighborhood. Where as Ray's breakdown:

12-WS2811-$360.00

RGB wiring (Ray's) $24.00

Pigtails-$50.00 (Optional)

Power source-450 watt 37.5 AMP-$70.00 (Meanwell) or you can use 2-350 watt power sources (this is just the one I use the 450 watt)

Enclosure CG-1500-$27.00 

E-682 Sandevice Controller-$189.00

Total:$720.00 plus some shipping maybe $780.00 for 12 ribbon setup from Ray.

Just a breakdown not sure all numbers are correct but something to that affect. Once again it is what you can afford.

Thanks for the info on Ray Wu.  I went thru Alibaba this year to purchase WS2811 SMD 5050's & a 5V PSU.  Prices were very good but shipping was $48.  I had done a lot of reading so I knew shipping would be high.  I will definitely chat with & email Ray next time around to save on shipping!!!!! 

thanks.

How reliable are Ray's strings?  Ive been reading about failures and where I want to put these I can only access with a rental lift.

To be honest... If you buy from Light O Rama or Ray failures are going to happen at what rate It's a crap shoot. That's just my take on it.

Sorry, I left out the main description.

5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof
US $30.00 / lot
5 Meter / lot , US $6.00 / Meter

I was only running 360 pixels this year in 6 arches.  I experience zero problems with any of the stuff I purchased from Ray Wu.  But that is a very small "dataset"!

I am sorry if what I stated above was misinterpreted, I was talking about the chip that is used to control the LEDs. You can not replace the CCR strip with the ws2811 strip the CCR controller will not drive the ws2811.

The ws2811 will fade much smoother than the CCR does but most of the time your viewers will not notice.

I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

Lee

I am sorry if what I stated above was misinterpreted, I was talking about the chip that is used to control the LEDs. You can not replace the CCR strip with the ws2811 strip the CCR controller will not drive the ws2811.

The ws2811 will fade much smoother than the CCR does but most of the time your viewers will not notice.

I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

Lee

No problems here Lee. I looked at the controller for the Ray Wu strip and that is the most cost, but on the other hand the whole setup is cheaper than LOR. Think I will be looking to save up money and get some for this year.

Thanks for the information.

I would check out sandevices sight for the controller. Jim also has AWESOME SERVICE!!!!! Check out E-6804 and the E-682 

www.sandevices.com

Is there a basic list of items one needs to run a few of Ray's strings via LOR?  There must be a pixel level controller (DMX) and I understand a power supply….

The E-6804 or the E-682 controller (good for expanding) and if it's a couple you can do the 350 watt power supply 

I use the P12S from J1Sys they work great. They use E1.31 DMX over Ethernet. I use LOR to control all my RGB strips. I use Nutcracker to program the effects. Last year I did use Super Star to do some of the effects but this year it was all Nutcracker.

Lee,

I was looking at the Nutcracker program and got lost all over again. I just do not understand on how to set everything up in the software. Also to me it looks like you have to have your network setup to use xlights. I got S3 down to where I can make sequences and all. What a learning curve.

Doug

It's not that bad at all. and you don't have to run your lights with it. I build all my RGB stuff with it then export into a LOR file. It works great.

Sean has some tutorials on the Nutcracker web page.