Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mwalz

Wooden Frame For Roof Christmas Sign

So i am getting to decorate the roof for 214. What would be awesome is a big happy holidays, or merry Christmas sign. It will probably have to be 10' tall, or at least i want it to be. Is it wise to build a wooden frame and use 2x4's for the frame itself, or use something light like pvc? or even smaller emt conduit. Never have had to do this, but i need some help here. Not sure if i want to build a sign, or just something huge up on top of the roof like maybe a big snowman.....i can post pics of my ideas if you are confused.

If you want just words you can use rope lights and chicken fencing and either use 2x4's or conduit and the nice thing about that is the wind goes right through the screen and you dont have to worry about it getting blown over.. Then just use chalk and have somebody with nice handwriting draw the words you want Seasons Greetings whatever and then just use the rope lights and zipties to follow the pattern they look really nice I have seen one done that way it looks like the words are floating above the house at night because you cant actually see the fencing spray it black with Rustoleum Paint first before you have the words written out...Just an idea if you like it Ill find a tutorial i saw on this for you...This guy used ppol fence here are 2 videos showing how he did it...    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntpbIirPKuw      

To add to what J Venturi wrote; I have made large signs in a similar fashion. But, instead of chicken wire which had to be painted, I used a plastic hardware cloth material. You will find it in most big box home improvement stores. It was originally designed to protect screens from dogs and cats. Several years ago I designed and built a 10' wide sign for my upper story roof that reads "Santa Land Here". It still looks great and elicits a lot of smiles.

I love the net type idea. My only problem now is that i want to go big.....like 10' - 15' tall. The mesh would really help keep weight down, and i like how he used strobes around it, that really looked good. I might use regular lights because they can be easily replaced of they go out, but i do have like 70' - 80' of rope light laying around i could use.Would pvc pipe be strong enough for a 10'x20' sign? I would have a brace probably every 5'. I'm thinking 1 1/2" maybe. Paint them black along with the mesh. I would probably have a piece of pipe across the top as well.

If i don't end up doing a sign along the top, I could always put it on the roof it's self which might end up looking better. I could still use the mesh idea for building stars on the peak or something like that.

I built a mini mega tree this year about 18 foot tall and what i found was that the wind could bend the pvc so what i did was used the pvc but i just put a piece of conduit inside it and it worked great the reason i used pvc was i had a old round plastic patio table and it had the hole in the middle where you would put the umbrella and i was shocked how well it worked as a base for the tree i have a 4 foot fence above the wall behind my hot tub and it hid the table perfect and worked great but i did find that before i put the conduit in it was just to flimsy but after no problems...I just drilled holes around the table top and zip tied my light strands through the holes i drilled but as for your question about pvc it does get flimsy the higher you go..

I built a mini mega tree this year about 18 foot tall and what i found was that the wind could bend the pvc so what i did was used the pvc but i just put a piece of conduit inside it and it worked great the reason i used pvc was i had a old round plastic patio table and it had the hole in the middle where you would put the umbrella and i was shocked how well it worked as a base for the tree i have a 4 foot fence above the wall behind my hot tub and it hid the table perfect and worked great but i did find that before i put the conduit in it was just to flimsy but after no problems...I just drilled holes around the table top and zip tied my light strands through the holes i drilled but as for your question about pvc it does get flimsy the higher you go..

Yea i built my 15' tree out of pvc...bad idea...i'm building 2 20' ones for 2014 and they are going to be metal pole. Fence post rail actually. I want to use the current antenna mass that is up there for a tree, but maybe add another few feet to it by attaching a pole. maybe pvc but not sure, it's 10' as it is, if i could get it to 15' safely taht would be awesome. As far as the sign goes im not sure, im kind of liking the idea of putting it on the roof face instead of standing it up. I might make some snowflakes above the sign and use the same idea for poles but no mesh and just put up 3 poles with stars/snowflakes above it.