Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empire Fanatic

Blogs Becoming Nothing But A Sales Site

How sad.  This used to be a great venue for blow mold information, but now it's nothing but a mere blow mold sales site for those who don't want to pay eBay fees.  I miss the good old days.

Its really not that sad....its just people who love blow molds passing them onto another blow mold collector.... In my opinion I would rather buy them here than eBay....people are more honest....

How sad.  This used to be a great venue for blow mold information, but now it's nothing but a mere blow mold sales site for those who don't want to pay eBay fees.  I miss the good old days.

All the ones who used to post the blow mold information here left for Facebook and only lurk here now.  As for me, the Facebook blow mold groups that I checked out a long while back just didn't appeal  to me so I don't go there.  I now do my research on my own.

Mel

That Flickr group has a lot of nice pictures but there is almost no information about them, I think that Steve was referring to the wealth of information that used to be posted here in the PC forum.  Today the posts only contain pictures, no information about the blow molds, apparently no one here is interested in who made them, when they were made, etc., that is one of the reasons that I have pretty much stopped posting.  For a long while there has been no indication that anyone had any interest in what I posted so I have moved on to other ways of sharing information.

Mel

All the ones who used to post the blow mold information here left for Facebook and only lurk here now.  As for me, the Facebook blow mold groups that I checked out a long while back just didn't appeal  to me so I don't go there.  I now do my research on my own.

Mel

Ditto what Mel said.

Allen

That Flickr group has a lot of nice pictures but there is almost no information about them, I think that Steve was referring to the wealth of information that used to be posted here in the PC forum.  Today the posts only contain pictures, no information about the blow molds, apparently no here is interested in who made them, when they were made, etc., that is one of the reasons that I have pretty much stopped posting.  For a long while there has been no indication that anyone had any interest in what I posted so I have moved on to other ways of sharing information.

Mel

AMEN!!!!!!!!

“O bliss of the collector, bliss of the man of leisure! Of no one has less been expected and no one has had a greater sense of well-being than... a collector. Ownership is the most intimate relationship one can have to objects. Not that they come alive in him; it is he who comes alive in them.” 
― Walter Benjamin

Without the history of an item we simply own it and we are not alive with its existence.

Ernie

blow molds are a rare breed.  ya don't see many any more and when you do find them they need repairs.   I just picked up an old santa mold that needs a total repaint.  I don't use very many molds.  and this one was FREE!!  I will send it to anyone that wants a very large santa holding a toy sac for just what it costs to ship.  It was given t me but I wont use it and I would rather it goto a collector than to a garbage heap.  its in great physical shape  but needs a strip down and repaint.    Any Takers?  I also have a blowmold NOEL candle with no flame and no light for just shipping costs

email me at [email protected]

To be dead honest I used to be a HUGE BLOW MOLD enthusiast and wanted to know the manufacture and the dates of every mold I either liked or wanted etc. but because people have turned them  into such a high priced  item to collect it pushed the average guy like me right out of trying to get the ones that meant something or the ones that had historic importance to them.. So I just gave up on them and realized all blow molds did to me as a decorator was bum me out all the time I would see something I wanted or needed and had to decide on food on my table or pay an outrageous amount for a piece of plastic and unfortunately even though I may love and desire that piece of plastic it gets trumped by food on the table every time.. They used to be a hobby the average guy like me could enjoy being a part of and now all it has become is he who has the most cash gets all the cool toys and it kind of turns me off to them anymore. Maybe I just feel this way because times are tough for me but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say its gotten too crazy price wise. When I saw a mold go for $1000 and the person think they got a great deal I don't care how rare that mold was $1000 is crazy.. I understand that there are certain ones that are super hard to get but I'm not only talking about super rare ones there are common ones going for crazy prices all the time and its super rare that you can find one reasonable anymore. I think the truth is the price pushed a big part of the people who used to collect and care right out of the collecting blow mold business if that makes any sense...Because it has become a business BIG BUSINESS .. I used to go to the flea market and get some decent molds in the $10,15,20, ranges now they ask $40 a piece for a common Santa or $20 for a darn soldier or candle and half the time the paint is shot or they are damaged and they always say to me well that's what they are getting on eBay I HATE WHAT EBAY HAS DONE TO MOLDS its crazy... there is a lady who is a vendor who gets in an hour early before the public can because she is a vendor at the flea market and she brings like 4 guys with her who run around to all the other vendors as they are setting up before they open and she buys every single one she can just to put them on eBay and when I get in there she has them all piled up in her back of her truck and when I find out who sold them I always ask them what did she give you for them and they say 10 dollars a piece and when I go to her and ask how much do you want for that 1 or this 1 she always says 40$ 50$ etc its just made me hate the actual experience of collecting these things, something I used to enjoy so much has now just become sad...I'm glad I have what I have which is about 300 or so and I know my days of getting new ones all the time is over and that's maybe why my interest has gone from wanting to know a ton to not caring I just got priced out of the collecting of them and so I guess my interest went along with it...Just saying...if we stopped paying outrageous prices for them they would come down but as long as the supply and demand is there and people are willing to shell out 50 on a bad paint damaged piece its going to turn even more of us off...to them. Think about it most of the time to buy a decent mold your looking at $50 to $75 and then add another $30 or $40 for shipping I cant afford $100 for a mold maybe you can..I still love them and wish I didn't feel this way because at 1 time all I could do was hunt them down and have fun doing it along with fixing them etc but now those days are done for me....sorry for typing a darn book but Ive been dying to get this off my chest....And you still are the man Mel I love all of your knowledge and passion that you have for them don't think we all just don't care anymore but maybe ask why...for me they just bring me more of a sad feeling then a happy one because I cant afford to play anymore....

John, I fully understand your feelings and there have been many times the past few years that I have told my wife that I am going to quit buying and researching blow molds we do not have due to the high prices and lack of interest.  Fortunately a few people like Kev, Charlie E & Cory continue to encourage me to at least continue with the research even though there are not any real indications that others have any interest in the information.

I can assure you though that I do not and will not pay the ridiculously high prices that are being asked for the vast majority of the blow molds that are on eBay these days, but I do continue to watch for the somewhat rare fair priced ones we might be missing that are occasionally there.  I have been known in the past to pay an exceptionally high price for a couple of blow molds that we wanted, but that is a rare occassion, not a normal thing.

Mel

Well said John... and Mel.. 

While I am not very much of a blow mold fan, to me, the research, documentation and catalogs are far more valuable to me than the molds themselves. Molds will be around for along time.. but the documentation is disappearing faster than the molds are.. People that do the research, that know them, and love them.. are getting harder to find. IF i find one that I actually do like. I know who to go to in order to pick up the history of it. like old antiques.. Thank you to each that has ever taken the time to research them. if the Knowledge is lost then blow molds are just eye candy.. with no real value.. 

John, I fully understand your feelings and there have been many times the past few years that I have told my wife that I am going to quit buying and researching blow molds we do not have due to the high prices and lack of interest.  Fortunately a few people like Kev, Charlie E & Cory continue to encourage me to at least continue with the research even though there are not any real indications that others have any interest in the information.

I can assure you though that I do not and will not pay the ridiculously high prices that are being asked for the vast majority of the blow molds that are on eBay these days, but I do continue to watch for the somewhat rare fair priced ones we might be missing that are occasionally there.  I have been known in the past to pay an exceptionally high price for a couple of blow molds that we wanted, but that is a rare occassion, not a normal thing.

Mel

Both my brother and I love molds and when ever we have a question my brother always says go ask Mel and we do appreciate all your wisdom and i hope that guys like you don't quit because it will be a lost knowledge that the next generation would be robbed of but I understand how you feel about the dwindling amount of people who ask or even care anymore about them but that's why i wrote what I did about the price pushing people out. I still love them and I still have my wish list that i will look for all the time you never know I may get lucky but there are a few that I have my eye out for the drummer boy for the manger, the Shepard boy holding the sheep the Mickey caroler and goofy and tweety and pooh I know taz will never happen but I will still buy all I can afford its just the number that I can afford to buy are dwindling so in return so does my being able to grow my collection.. I still love them if i see one of the clown snowmen Im all over it if i can afford it I still have the passion I just dont have the checkbook to support it...but Mel please dont ever stop what you do we do appreciate it even if we don't say it enough./..

My brother and i went to a auction because we saw they had 2 of the older Snoopies in nice condition and we both do large displays and this guy who is a bay dealer was there he is known amongst the auction community as being a guy who will run the price up if he wants it anyway it was kind of funny but my brother is a very intimidating looking guy heart of gold and a big teddy bear but he looks like a beast and he can be when need be but anyway he ended up looking at this guy after he kept running us up on them at the time they were at like $45 a piece I believe and my brother said to him if you put your arm up one more time Im gonna break it off and I started laughing because that guy didn't want them to display he wanted them to put them on ebay at a crazy price and wait for some dummy to pay it and the sad part was somebody would but needless to say the guy put his arm down and the crowd cheered lol it was truly funny but needless to say we got the 2 Snoopies and they are proudly displayed each year but that just showed me how much of a business they have become.. it took a semi nice threat to get some eBay jerk to stop bidding and you know what I don't feel bad he did it I really don't...maybe I should but I don't it was just the frustration of having to fight some business man for 2 blow molds that he could care less about but they meant something to us you know what I mean  that's a true story I'm sure if my brother sees this he will back my story lol but thats how much we love them maybe to much....

John,

The Santa, sleigh and deers sure look NEW to me- just as NEW as the one I bought last year from American Sales.

I like to check ebay but cannot afford the prices that they charge (especially) on the shipping. I understand that American Sales charges higher shipping charges- at least I know the item is BRAND NEW and not used as most are on Ebay.

John,

The Santa, sleigh and deers sure look NEW to me- just as NEW as the one I bought last year from American Sales.

I like to check ebay but cannot afford the prices that they charge (especially) on the shipping. I understand that American Sales charges higher shipping charges- at least I know the item is BRAND NEW and not used as most are on Ebay.

You're correct, it does look New or Newer.  The Antlers were not this style in 1970.  This person says "This is over 40 years old!! No fading whatsoever!"  Sure, and dear little sweet Nuns in Switzerland hand painted it too! LOL!!!! :lol:

This is what the reindeer antlers looked like in the 1970's up through 1989.  This page is from their 1989 catalog.

Mel

EMPIRE1989011.jpg

You're correct, it does look New or Newer.  The Antlers were not this style in 1970.  This person says "This is over 40 years old!! No fading whatsoever!"  Sure, and dear little sweet Nuns in Switzerland hand painted it too! LOL!!!! :lol:

i emailed this guy and passed along the info of this not being from 1970....lol!!!!! :o  :o  :o  :o

I think this is a reflection of the whole collectable or antique market as a whole, not just blow molds or other Holiday collectables. With the popularity of shows like Pickers,  Toy Hunter, and the Storage Unit Hunters, everyone is looking for a deal. In the past there was two antique stores in our town, now there are 10 with even more "thrift" stores. Estate sales that use to have 10 people in line before the sale, now have lines around the block.

I enjoy learning the history of the pieces, how they were made, where they are found. I am lucky to have a Mel and  close friends and other resources located close to me, but that hasnt always been the case. If more people would post their finds and their questions, it would be a lot more intersting for others, especially those who have made their first finds.

I have found I dont need every piece ever created, but I love seeing others finds, and their enjoyment in building their collections.

Empire didn't make the reindeer with that style of antlers until 1990.

Mel

EmpirePlastics1990Catalog012r.jpg

See father blow mold Mel we need you so dont frown on the way things are you are a wealth of knowledge but I only posted that craigslist post just to show how crazy things have become and the sad part is that somebody that doesn't have a guy like you Mel to talk to that's just starting collecting molds will buy that set and think he has a vintage set and its wrong I knew they were newer and was waiting to see who caught it and a few on here did that shows that guys like you are still relevant and needed because of you and others like you the history of these things will live on and that is important Ill still be calling on you here and there when I actually find a mold I can afford and have a question and Im sure you will have the answer thanks for that boss...