Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dougp

Prayers Needed

Just found out that my daughter has breast cancer and she has appointment next week to found out just how bad it is and what treatment will be needed. Her mother-in-law and grandmother both died from breast cancer so this is very hard on all of us.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.  I too have a daughter that was diagnosed with cancer years ago.  The best advice that I could give you is to stay positive - no matter what.  Positive energy goes a long way.  Please know that my family will keep you and your loved ones in our prayers.

Prayers from DFW... in Tx.. sorry to hear but positive is powerful... determination helps too.. but prayers are most powerful.. 

Another prayer for you and your family. Keep positive. It is a rough road but don't despair. Prayers do work miracles.

Sorry to hear that, my grandma had it and beat it. Stay positive. You are in my thoughts and my prayers from MO. Hope it all works out well for your whole family:)

my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this time 

Thank you for asking us for the oppurtunity to pray for your daughter. She and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Doug--I encourage you to proclaim God's word over your daughter--that by His stripes she was healed!    Isaiah 53:5.  God has authority over all things seen & unseen and has the ability to remove every trace of cancer from your daughter's body!!  He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  Jesus healed people when He was physically on the earth, so you can proclaim these promises over your daughter NOW.  Have faith!!   I prayed for your daughter here in south Louisiana.

We are praying for your daughter's healing and for you and the rest of the family, asking for a hedge of protection around all of you and that His presence be evident.  "Come unto me all who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest" !

May God bless you all.

Pastor Brian

Just a update. First thanks for all of the prayers. My daughter has surgery this morning for a double mastectomy as the cancer was upgraded to early stage 2. She is in great spirits and we know that god will help her through this trying time in her life.

God bless her she will definitely be in our prayers....Its nice to hear her spirits are in a great place ....That does make a difference Im sure of it...My mom had cancer and she was in good spirits in the beginning and was doing OK but once she started get down on herself she faded fast so keep her spirits up and she will pull through..Prayers sent......

while the surgery is not good, the spirits are... wonderful... Tell her a bunch of Christmas Geeks are rooting for her... prayers here

Prayers going out to your daughter and the rest of your family. My mother just went through cancer treatment and she kept her spirits up, only had a few bad days so I know as long as your daughter keeps her spirits up and knows the good lord will take care of her she'll be just fine.

Al